2 months in Italy

Search

2 months in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2014, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 months in Italy

Hello (again) to all of you amazing travelers! So I will be living in Frabosa Sottana, Cuneo, Italy for all of July and August. I'm working as an au pair and I will have lots of free time to myself. I won't have a car so I'll be taking advantage of public transportation.
I'll have weekends free and as long as I notify my family ahead of time I'll be able to take longer 3-4 day trips as well.
So that being said--what are the things in the Liguria region that I absolutely can't miss?
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 03:19 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Seems pretty remote without much bus service. It won't be easy without a car. Often buses in rural areas don't run on Sunday.

http://www.buscompany.it/sites/defau.../orari/109.pdf
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 03:28 PM

Places worth visiting in a 100KM radius include Cuneo, Alba,
San Remo, Menton. Further out, by train, Torino, Genoa.
Have fun !
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 04:29 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
It appears the closest rail station is Mondovi. I would think from there you could catch a train to Cuneo and maybe on to Nice. The French Riviera would be a nice longer weekend visit. You can look at schedules/prices on Trenitalia (for Turin,Cuneo, Genoa, etc.). You need to enter a date within the next 7 days to see prices as Mondovi will likely be served by regional trains (prices don't show on these slow trains unless within 7 days. You must use the Italian spelling of the towns.

http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...005817f90aRCRD
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 10:46 PM

If you can get to Mondovi then you can be in Savona on the seaside in just about an hour. That will give you some beach time on the weekends, although you might want to switch to a local train for a prettier beach town a few stops up, like Albisola Marina or Celle Ligure.

You can also be in Torino in about an hour by train starting out from Mondovi. It's is a wonderful city and you might want to scope out a good Airbnb deal that would enable you to come into the city and spend the night for not too many euros. Likewise for the beach towns.

For 3 or 4 day trips it is possible to get from Mondovi to Milan in 3 hours and, say, Bologna or Mantova or Verona in 4 hours, using the fast trains, but that can get pricey unless you book the trains in advance. But if you have never been in Italy, you might think it was worth it once or twice.

It is possible that once you get to Frabosa Sottana the locals can tell you all the angles on what is easy to get to, including best beaches. There are small towns in that area that are quite interesting, like Fossano, Savigliano and Cherasco and it might be possible using a combination of train and bus on a Saturday to visit them as a day trip That area has a lot of hotels so cross your fingers that some of them run shuttle buses to and from Mondovi, and some may offer excursions that you could tap into. Also it might be possible to work out a deal with a local taxi driver for rides to and from the train station in Mondovi and a marginally discounted rate.

You'll be glad for the cool air up there when you get back from your excursions!