Reload this Page >

2 Hotel choices in Rothenberg

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 11:37 AM
Karen

My boyfriend and I have narrowed down our lodging choices in Rothenberg to either the Hotel Garni-Hornberg, or the Hotel Kloster-Stuble.<BR><BR>Can anyone help us decide between the 2? We'd greatly appreciate your help.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 12:19 PM
Rita

I haven't stayed at either, but my husband & I spent 2 nights at the Burghotel - it was absolutely lovely. The bed had down comforters that were out of this world and the whole atmosphere was intimate & romantic. We're visiting Rothenburg again this year, but with 2 kids along the romantic Burg doesn't make sense for us this time (too bad). Have a wonderful trip!

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 12:43 PM
aaa

We had made reservatons at Kloster-Stuble. After many hours driving there -got there at 4:30pm and they claim we never made reservation. I had a printed email from them confirming the room and they would not accomodate us.<BR>So, be careful w/ them. We were there in June and it wasVERY hot inside there - no a.c.<BR>It was also dingy.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 01:29 PM
Steve Mueller

<BR>Not sure if this is relevant, but I believe Hotel Garni-Hornberg is outside the city walls. We stayed at the Ringhotel Glocke, which is right at the Plonlein.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 01:42 PM
Linda

Dear karen,<BR>We didn't get to stay at the Hotel Garni-Hornberg two years ago as they were full but we saw the place. It is outside the city wall but close. Read under Rick Steve's Graffiti Board under Heroic B&B Friendliness many recommendations for this hotel--except just saw a recent negative one-however, who knows what these people were like. Keep reading back and you'll find lots of recommmendations for Hotel Garni. And by all means, take the Night Watchman tour--it is great.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 04:35 PM
bettyk

Recommend the Hotel Roter Hahn. Great location, friendly proprietors, and a great price. The rooms are very clean and spacious. Check out their website: http://www.rothenburg-online.de/hote...index_eng.html.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 04:51 PM
Linda

Dear Karen,<BR>Forgot to finish my note. The hotels Rick Steves board mentions freq. get too busy so perhaps that has happened for someone to mention rude staff.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 04:56 PM
Bob

Rothenburg is one of our regular stops in Germany. We have made many trips through there dating to 1970 and have seen the changes made to the city. We were last there in December for Christmas market and gluwein.<BR><BR>Two recommendations: Stay within the wall and take the nightwatchman tour at 8pm in English from the town square.<BR><BR>Two great places to stay: Reichs-Kutchenmeister or Markusturm Hotel. Both have ambiance and nice rooms. Both are in the city walls. <BR><BR>The Reichs has a very nice restaurant even if you do not stay there. The Reichs is next to the large church...St Jacobs. Also try the Wine Stube in the Reichs, first seat as you enter the door is the one we have spent many an hour sipping some wine or other drinks.<BR><BR>The Hotel Markusturm is a treat and is featured on many of the etchings of the town because of its scenic location. Updated rooms with class. The owners are also very nice and have a relationship with the owners of the Burg Hotel, another nice spot.<BR><BR>Have fun. This town is touristy but a lot of fun to explore and walk the walls.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 05:07 PM
steve

Karen,<BR>Take a look at the Hotel Meistertrunk. We have stayed at this hotel several times, and will again in late May. The owners are very gracious and will make sure your stay is very nice. It is inside the wall and a 1 minute walk to the Markplatz. The hotel also has parking if you will have a car.<BR><BR>http://www.meistertrunkhotel.rothenburg.de/index_e.html<BR>

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 06:05 PM
Rob

We stayed at the Kloster Stuble 3 years ago and enjoyed the location and the room. Charming 4 poster bed, wall of windows opening up to a pleasant garden view. If you are driving you cannot park there. Hotel keepers a little gruff but just business like. Add my recommendations for the night tour. <BR>

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 06:40 PM
Dave and Linda

We agree with Steve, Hotel Meistertrunk has been our choice for 5 stays and we have never been disappointed.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 12:49 AM
Paige

We've stayed at the Kloster Stuble twice and really like it. Our rooms were very nice and comfortable. We were there in April and September. If we go back, we'll stay there again.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 09:53 AM
andy

We have reservations at the Gasthof<BR>Bayerischer Hof in July. Anyone stayed <BR>there?<BR>

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 01:28 PM
Janis B.

Andy - We have stayed at the Bayerischer Hof twice - 1998 and 2000. It is charming, the rooms are lovely, and we feel as though we're staying at a friend's home when we're there. Breakfast is included and lunches and dinners are served. Harald and Petra Schellhaas are the proprietors with Harald acting as chef, preparing delicious meals. We love it and will return!<BR>

Old May 3rd, 2002, 07:09 AM
Debbie

I would also like to recommend the Romantik Hotel Markusturm. We've stayed there twice. The service and food were both excellent and included scrambled eggs on the breakfast buffet (not every German breakfast does so). It is also central and depicted in many of the artists renditions of Rothenburg. Although Rothenburg is a preserved and somewhat touristy locale, we think it is great fun. I also vote highly for the Night Watchman's tour. Very intersting and comical too. Rothenburg is like a bit of Disney and I mean that in the most flattering sense. (A side note: we checked out one of the hotels recommended on the outskirts of town by Rick Steves. They were rude to us and didn't want to give us any information. We did not find that at the Markusturm at all.)Have a great time.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 07:15 AM
wilson

One of the best hotels in the world is located in the heart of Rothenburg right on the main square. The Eisenhut. If you can afford it stay there. It is fabulous. Great rooms, outstanding service. You really must have Irish Coffee in the bar, served by a waiter in a tuxdeo, made at table side, and all brought on silver platter. Just amazing. Wonderful! Sehr Gut!

Old May 3rd, 2002, 03:58 PM
steve

Stayed years ago at Gastehaus Hofman, Stollengasse 29. Inexpensive, located right next to the wall (on the inside)

Old May 3rd, 2002, 05:15 PM
Russ

Bob has been recommending the "Kutchenmeister" repeatedly in his posts, and for those who might be interested in his recommendation, I just want to point out that the spelling is incorrect and that no search with that spelling will be fruitful! The actual spelling is "K&uuml;chenmeister" - no "t", and the "u" has an umlaut (two little dots above it.) If your keyboard isn't set up for umlauts, search as follows: "Kuechenmeister"; whenever you see an umlaut in German, you can add "e" to the vowel that is umlauted, and with this alternative spelling, you'll probably find what your looking for.

Old May 7th, 2002, 02:25 AM
Ben

A few more possibilities - with comments from folks who have tried them - http://www.bavariaben.com/fzfrothenburg.html

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 10:44 AM
Bob

Russ: Thanks for the spelling correction on Kuchenmeister. We have stayed there 6 or 7 times and I just got the mispelling in my memory bank and typed it wrong. Still a great location to stay when in Rothenburg.<BR><BR>Markusturm is also another favorite for us now after the Reichs K. was full in December and we stayed here for the first time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -