2 Full Days in Amsterdam - realistic?

Old Apr 16th, 2004, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 Full Days in Amsterdam - realistic?

Help!

I am planning our long-weekend trip to Amsterdam (from France) for August. I can get cheap airfare (less than $200USD total for 3 of us)on Easyjet.

I am considering flying on a Friday evening (arriving 8:30pm) and leaving on a Monday morning (8:30am). So that leaves 2 full days to sightsee. Given that timeframe, do you think seeing these sights is do-able?

-Anne Frank house
-Canal Boat tour
-Van Gogh Museum
-Heineken Experience
-Flower Market
-walk thru Red Light District during day

Keep in mind, we have a 2-year-old that takes 2-hour naps in the afternoon.

Comments are much appreciated.

Thanks!

Old Apr 16th, 2004, 09:01 AM

You can do all of it (except I am not sure what the Heineken experience is although I have had some Heineken experiences of my own). It's the perfect weekend timewise.
Old Apr 16th, 2004, 10:45 AM

If the lines at Anne Frank house are not too long, it will take 1-2 hours to visit. The canal boat tours are about 1 1/2 hours and depart from various locations. The Van Gogh Museum exhibits cover about 3 floors, I believe. It's a very open floor plan - you can dawdle there maybe a couple of hours. The Heineken Experience is a walk-thru exhibit (takes about 45 mins) then you can get a beer at the end. I would make this one the last event in case you run out of time; it's fun but not really 'must-see'. The Flower Market is a stroll with pauses for shopping along the way, so it doesn't require a lot of time. I don't think there will be much to 'see' in the Red Light District in the day time (as far as the 'windows' go), however there are quaint canal houses, shops, etc. as well.

So if you just assigned "2 hrs" to each event incl. naps, that would be 8 hours each day, + traveling + eating between the sights.
Old Apr 16th, 2004, 10:51 AM

We just returned from there, and spent just a bit more time there than you. We managed all that you listed, except walking through the red light dist. and the Heineken tour, but did a few other things, so I would imagine our extras would offset yours. It's definitely do-able. I'd strongly recommend allowing time for the Rijkmuseum, which is almost right next to the Van Gogh museum. I enjoyed that one significantly more. I added it to our itinerary after having it recommended on this sight.
Old Apr 16th, 2004, 12:53 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Certainly you can have an enjoyable weekend! I was there 5 days my 1st trip & am not an art museum person, although I did enjoy the Erotic Museum in the Red Light District (it was a hoot) and walking in that area one afternoon. The Heineken brewery or tour was nearby my hotel by chance and a nice part of town. With a young child especially in good weather I'd suggest some time in Vondelpark. It's huge and just gorgeous. The only thing I didn't do but would add next time, is take a canal boat tour.
Old Apr 18th, 2004, 05:12 AM

I just returned last week. I don't have a young one, but I take 2 hour naps myself! Skip Heineken...and a walk through the Red Light District will take 5 minutes. You will sail right into the Anne Frank Haus if you skip the morning/early afternoon, and go after an early dinner, say about 7:30. No lines. Rikjsmuseum is now confined to one small wing (remainder is under construction), and is do-able in 1+ hour. 2 full days will give you a good flavor. We had 3 1/2 days but spent 1 day in Keukenhoff Gardens and another 1/2 day in Haarlem...Have a wonderful trip.