Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

France itinerary is complete! Thoughts??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At least, I hope it is complete! I am traveling with my mom and aunt, both young!! My aunt has pretty much done most of the planning as she has been to France several times. We are skipping Paris since we have all been (and I'll go with my husband in the near future.) I'm hoping this itinerary doesn't seem too much like the "Amazing Race"; we want a good sampling of these regions- Loire, Burgundy, & Provence.
Anyway, here it is, with hotels listed. If you have any favorites in the areas (restaurants, sights, activities, vineyards etc....) let me know, along with any suggestions.

Arrive June 13- take train from CDG to Amboise. Pick up car, possibly visit one chateaux. Hotel- Hotel le Blason
June 14- Amboise- explore chatteaux. Stay again at Hotel le Blason
June 15-16 Drive to Bourges to see windows (??) then onto Vezelay. Hotel- la Poste-Lion d’or
June 17-18 drive to Beaune- Hotel de la Paix
June 19-21 drive to St. Remy. Hotel- Shamrock
June 22-25 Gordes- Hotel- LeBurliere.
June 25- drop off car and take early train to Dijon. Hotel- Hotel du Nord
June 26- Train to CDG and fly home

Old Mar 26th, 2007, 11:55 AM

I liked the house of Jacques Coeur in Bourges, others do not. If you detour a little to the north after Bourges, you can stop by the hamlet of La Borne (6 km. SE of Henrichemont) which is a village of potters. The local grocery store is also a decent restaurant. It might make a good stop, depending on when you leave Amboise and what you visit in Bourges.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 12:10 PM

seems like a mighty fine well honed itinerary to moi! Your aunt's done super.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 12:31 PM

This looks like a great trip. The only small think I might be inclined to change would be to stay somewhere other than Gordes as a base in the Luberon. Gordes is a beautiful village, to be sure - but there is something about it that left me cold. It is not so much that it is touristy (though it is) but to me it has a strange disneyesque/soul-less feel to it. Hard to describe but I felt that seeing it from a distance was much more special than actually spending time within the town. I'm sure many others would disagree, however there are so many other beautiful villages in the Luberon with more character. My personal favorite is Rousillon.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 12:35 PM

Looks like a good one. Count me as another big fan of Bourges. I noticed you had question marks after "drive to Bourges to see windows". I think the "windows" refer to the magnificent stained glass windows, mostly circa 1215, that adorn the Cathedral of St. Etienne. No church in France (including Notre Dame and Reims) have left me speechless as this Cathedral. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and it is spectacular. Have fun and enjoy the Grands Vins De Bordeaux!!!
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 12:46 PM
ira

Hi T,

>June 26- Train to CDG and fly home

What time is your flight?

Old Mar 26th, 2007, 03:35 PM

You might be trying to cram too much into your trip.

Amboise and the Loire deserve more than one night. However, if you're heading there, stop at Chambord and Cheverny on the way in and visit Amboise, since you're in town.

Heading south, Chenenceau is a must see, and if you're into gardens, Villandry; otherwise go to Azay-Le Rideaux.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 06:57 PM

There are two afternoon trains direct from CDG to St Pierre des Corps [just outside of Tours], taking less than two hours to get there. Avis is a good bet for car rental.

If you're planning on taking the early train from Dijon to CDG, the Jura Hotel is close to the station.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 07:04 PM

Well after June 7 or so the new LGV-Est high-speed line opens and is supposed to have several daily direct trains to CDG from places like Metz-TGV and Nancy-TGV, easily reachable from Dijon. More options.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!!! I am getting really excited!
RonZ- after looking at train schedules, it seems that our best best is to take the train from CDG to St Pierre des Corps and rent our car there. If we waitied for a connecting train to take us to Amboise, we would be wasting a few hours. So I'm going to change our car rental from picking up in Amboise to St Pierre des Corps. Anyone know how long the drive will be? By train it's only about 12 minutes....
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 05:21 AM

Hi, according to mappy.fr they are 23km from each other and it takes 25min. (traffic lights maybe!)
Welcome to Dijon!
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Coco!!

Ira- we leave CDG at 11:40am (AA).... think we've left ourselves enough time??
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 06:01 AM

I can see you'll be in Dijon 26June. My boys will be at school until 5pm so if you're not arriving in Dijon too late and want me to show you around, contact me through my website.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Oh Coco- that would be TOO fun!!! However, our flight leaves at 11:40am on 26 June- so we are taking the earliest train to CDG. If you are up for meeting for dinner/drinks 25 June, I would love to contact you!
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 06:44 AM

If my hubby is home to take care of the children why not? What time is your train supposed to arrive in Dijon?
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

*squeals* Oh- that will be so fun. Our train gets in at 11:30... I will contact you and see if we can set something up, lunch, cocktails, dinner, whatever. And of course, if plans change, no big deal at all!
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 09:02 AM

11h30 is a good time. We could have a little lunch somewhere and then go for a walk, that would be easy for me and no need of hubby! (he's working away from Dijon sometimes).
I'm sending you a word on your private address on TA as well...
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 09:45 AM

I think your June 13 looks a little over-ambitious.

Perhaps something more along the lines of:

June 13: Arrive at CDG. Wait for bomb scare to be cleared so that you can go through passport control. Wait for luggage to arrive. Stagger onto train. Stagger off train and schlep to hotel. Room not ready. Drag feet down street for coffee. Drag back to hotel. Nap. Wake up when it's already dark. Oops. But it's the perfect time to go out for a cocktail and dinner. Things are looking up. Enjoy relaxing dinner. Draft back to hotel. Fail to fall asleep because of the accidental nap you took earlier in the day.

June 14: Wake up late because you couldn't fall asleep when you got back to the hotel. Late start but enjoyable day exploring chateaux ... and onward.