Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

2 days in Cotswolds - which places to visit?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2009, 01:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
We'll be going to Cotswolds with our friends this weekend. Both families will have children under 3 in tow. We chose Burford as our base and already booked accomodations. My question is what places are the best to visit while there? So far, we are planning to spend the first day walking around Burford and maybe driving to Bibury for a couple of hours...
Where should we go on the second day? Is Blenheim Palace not to miss? We won't be actually going inside the palace with two roudy 3 yo boys but just walking in the park and the gardens... Or should we skip that and visit another pretty town/village? Our day begins very early but we'd like to be back in London before 8 so we can't venture out too far.

Thank you!
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 05:57 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Take them to Bourton-on-the-Water for at least a short visit -- the Miniature village would be great for the little ones.

They (and the adults) would probably also enjoy the wild animal park which is very near Burford http://www.cotswoldwildlifepark.co.uk/

Blenheim - there is a Pleasure garden and miniature train. But since you don't plan on going inside, I'd maybe skip it.

Bibury gets very busy on weekend - parking can be difficult, so I'd go there early in the AM (or in the very late afternoon) to miss most of the day trippers. The kids can feed the fish at the trout farm
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 07:53 AM

With 3 yos, forget Blenheim totally.

From Burford, walk to Widford, then follow the "finest rural walk in England" (http://www.webpie.co.uk/cotswold-walk/: just about the only assertion on the entire web that's incontestably true). If the walk to Widford's too long for the children, drive to Widford, then o the walk. ogle "As you are, so were we" before seeing the church's medieval paintings, to explain them to the children: make sure the children see the Fettiplace tombs in the Swinbrook church and google the Mitford sisters, most of whom (and the ne'er do well grandson of Diana) are buried outside Swinbrook church.

The ruins of Minster Lovell Hall (ex Minster Lovell Priory) are most sensible 3 year old humans' (and ALL dogs') favourite bit of the Cotswolds.

The Fettiplaces will interest any sane child far more than gawping at yet another row of thatched cottages.
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 08:09 AM

They (and the adults) would probably also enjoy the wild animal park which is very near Burford http://www.cotswoldwildlifepark.co.uk/

janis - cutting and pasting again? Be careful of what you accuse others of if you do it yourself.
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 08:23 AM

Copying and pasting an URL is not the same as copying whole chunks of a website.
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 08:27 AM

Josser - exactly and that's my point and janis don't seem to realize that. Nuff said i will not further interrupt her thread as that would be rude.
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 08:53 AM

Oh my gawd -- if you can't see the difference between providing a website's link and just regurgitating stuff from other sources --- must be back on the flat emulsion. Or are you on harder stuff now??
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 11:22 AM

anuta - sorry about that - am topping so you may get answers to your OP
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 01:06 PM

PQ: "<i>am topping so you may get answers to your OP</i>"

she got some very useful answers before you hijacked the thread. Sheesh . . . .
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 01:16 PM

Yes and in retrospect that was even ruder than you have been to me over and over and over with your bogus charges -

i do sincerely apologize - won't happen again - ever i promise to any thread.

Just that with such bogus charges Janis makes on my threads when she did the same exact thing i did not, but should have, helped myself again sorry

OP post again and i will not respond and you will get lots of responses - flanner.uk lives in the Cotswolds so he really knows the area.
Old Jul 3rd, 2009, 08:16 PM

Model Village info....not on website or anywhere else...open 10 - 5:45. Show up at 5:50 and you won't be let in ....
Old Jul 3rd, 2009, 09:01 PM

We loved Bourton-on-the-Water. The information office gave us a quick, self-quided walking tour to follow, which was lovely. We sat on the green and watched the ducks while we ate Yorkshire Pasties from a shop right across.

As we were leaving town, we saw a cute traffic sign that said to watch for elderly people. We are in our fifties, but we stood under it, had a sweet elderly lady take out pic, and sent it to our grown kids. We didn't ever see the sign again in the Cotswolds or around the UK.

We also liked Chipping Camden for a quick stop.
Old Jul 4th, 2009, 12:00 AM

"traffic sign that said to watch for elderly people"... actually these signs are found all over the UK, and have been for as long as I can remember. I believe some charities that represent the elderly were trying to get them removed a while back. I don't think they were ever intended to be "cute" though
Old Jul 4th, 2009, 12:02 AM

"Yorkshire Pasties" - don't ever say that within earshot of a Cornish person!