Search

2 Days in Barcelona with Boys

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 Days in Barcelona with Boys

Hello Everyone.

We are a family of 5 (3 adults and 2 boys ages 11 and 9) who will be staying two days in Barcelona pre- cruise in Mid August. We arrive at 8:00 am on a Friday morning and will leave for our cruise about noon on Sunday. We are staying at the Melia Barcelona (I know the location isn't great, but I did get a fantastic rate through my timeshare exchange). After reviewing all of the wonderful posts about Barcelona on this site, I have narrowed our list of things to see and do to the following:

Maritime Museum
Parc Guell
Chocolate Museum
Open Air Bus - Blue Line
Las Ramblas

Given that our time is limited, I thought this would represent the best sites in Barcelona for our family - one son is a science guy and the other is a sports nut. I did read a post mentioning a science museum but I can't seem to find any other mention of it. What do the Barcelona experts think? Am I missing anything? What order would you do this in? Should I do the Picasso Museum instead of the Chcolate Museum. Is Tibidabo a good option? Should we just "chill out" beachside on our first day (Is that even possible?) And do the Blue Line on the second?

Many many thanks!

JCD
Old Jul 30th, 2008, 08:49 AM

I would expect it be quite hot and maybe even humid in Barcelona, so I wouldn't resist chilling out at the beach. But I think if you take the "hop-on-hop-off bus" when you first arrive, you'll have a much better sense what you really want to do from that time forward. If you start the bus after you've checked into your hotel, you can get off at any point for lunch or sightseeing, and get back on again.

I'm not sure there is anything on Las Ramblas for your boys. It's a cafe-drinking street, which is what makes it popular with tourists, especially into the night. (It's also popular with pickpockets!)

I think they'd be more taken with the beach scene, and also with the bizarre statuary in the Parc de la Ciutadella, near the beach, where one often finds street performers and skateboarders too.

The Picasso museum is vast and all Picasso, all the time. I enjoy museums, but even I would find it hard to resist a Chocolate Museum.

I think the single greatest piece of art in Barcelona is the Palau Musica de Cataluyna. You can only see it by guided tour or by attending a concert. But it is stunning.

http://www.palaumusica.org/
Old Jul 30th, 2008, 09:38 AM

I think that a lot of children would be fascinated by the street performers on Las Ramblas.

I saw some of the most interesting and impressive acts there I've ever seen, in the universe of street performers. And there were some that were absolutely mesmerizing to the many kids who were watching.

Sure, it can be crowded and of course there are always pickpockets, but I think it would be a mistake to avoid it entirely. Plus, it's a nice walk down to the water and the Columbus monument.
Old Jul 30th, 2008, 09:40 AM

Mom, you have done good research the places you listed are, for the most part, well thought out.

That said, two days in not enough to do a lot. Mid-Aug in BCN is HOT AND CROWDED-- translation: slow pace, beaches, and parks.

Las Ramblas is entertaining and, at a good pace, it won't take too much. Head down Las Ramblas to the beach, once there catch some waves, AND the cable car for stunning views. Definitely a visit to Parc de La Ciutadella where you get a chance to stretch, see the Zoo, Olympic Park/Villa (something for everybody!). Parc Guell: fabulous!. Chocolate and Maritime Museum; good choices. The open air bus takes a bit of time, albeit you get to see a lot of BCN in three lenghty loops; the loop that covers their soccer stadium and Olympic Park is quite interesting. It may tired the little one though; your call. I do agree that the open bus is a first-day thingy.
Old Jul 30th, 2008, 11:06 AM

I think the boys would like Las Ramblas, and maybe Parc Guell, but the Parc does kind of involve lots of hiking and walking in the hot hot sun.

I would also recommend the History of the City Museum, especially the very extensive underground ruins showing what it was like in Roman times. They have reconstructed private homes, wine shops, laundries, and much more, all underground. The entrance is behind the cathedral in the Gothic district.
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 12:09 PM

I second the City Museum - the ruins are very well presented and interesting (and cool!).

Also - the Maritime Museum by the Christopher Columbus Statue might be another idea - very interesting full size replica of a galley ship and the admission includes going up the Columbus Statue and a tour of a ship on the waterfront.

And we enjoyed the zoo (we were there for two months and friends of our visited with slightly younger children so the zoo was a big hit) - but it is a zoo - not very different!

Regarding places to eat - there are several Tapas bars that are self serve and are priced by the length of the stick through the tapas - the kids we were with really enjoyed those - I'll find their names and post them here

Old Aug 1st, 2008, 06:33 AM

The Maritime Museum should be a don't miss. I don't know if I'd go out of my way for the chocolate museum. There are no free samples or anything (although you can buy expensive chocolate there.) Ater we left there, we went straight to a place to have thick hot chocolate and churros....a must do experience!

Parc Guell is way cool. Since your time is limited, take a cab. We took the metro and the walk from the station takes quite a while
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 08:23 AM

I would add the Magic Fountain for an evening event. It was one of the best things there, I thought. I did it via the Open Air Bus Night Tour, which did not really give us enough time. I think the boys would enjoy this very much too. It's fun, and the music is great.

I agree that Las Ramblas has a lot for the boys to enjoy. If nothing else, it's a great place to let them run around. Not far away, from the top take a left and find Placa Universatat (or something like that) across the street from the University. There were nearly always boys doing great tricks on skateboards around there. The boys might enjoy going over and watching that.
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 08:34 AM

I second the Magic Fountain. We were tired when we went and almost didn't stay, but it was one of the highlights of the trip!