Reload this Page >

2 days in Barcelona

Search

2 days in Barcelona

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2000, 05:40 AM
Jennifer

2 days in Barcelona

I will be in Barcelona for 3 days/2 nights in December. What are the must sees/dos for a short stay? Aside from the Picasso museum. Any restaurant tips? Staying at the Hotel Colon--anyone have any experience with this hotel? <BR> <BR>I won't be hung over, as I'll have been in Europe for several days, and don't want to spend my time racing around to see all of the sites. Just want to get a nice flavor of the city, and relax and have fun with my husband.

Old Oct 14th, 2000, 07:04 AM
Patrick

Barcelona is one of those cities that I'd definitely do one of those hop-on, hop-off tour bus deals. They'll show you the whole city --really spread out, and give you a lot of background. You can stop and visit any of the sites you like and then get on the next bus. Of course, you'll see much of the Gaudi stuff. We loved the Gaudi park for a nice stroll (not sure about December, however) and you must stop and go through the unfinished Gaudi cathedral. <BR>Just strolling and relaxing on the Ramblas is wonderful.

Old Oct 14th, 2000, 07:12 AM
Patrick

Forgot to answer about the restaurants. We enjoy eating outside, but probably not in December. Our favorite place, even though sort of touristy, is Los Caracoles on Calle Escudellers. Great atmosphere and great food, and the absolute best crema catalana. It is in the Gothic quarter, pretty close to Hotel Colon. Very famous, very old 7 Doors (or Ports?) is even more touristy, but also quite good.

Old Oct 14th, 2000, 08:33 AM
John

I think the quickie tour is a good idea, the city is a little spread out, with distinctive districts, so you can use a tour to help decide how to spend limited time. Some personal views, though: <BR>Sagrada Familia is better from the outside than inside - saves time and money. Come back when it's done, say in 2105. IMO Gaudi's domestic work is better, anyway. <BR>The Palau de la Música Catalana, on the other hand, is a drop-dead wonderful experience. Even if you're not a music buff, I think attending a concert in the awesome main hall would be a real treat, and a good idea on a December night. Dinner afterwards, like the locals. (Political statement: I think all Fodorites should seek out and validate with visits the UNESCO World Heritage Sites - http://www.unesco.org/whc/heritage.htm - whenever possible. <BR>Last, if the weather's okay, I'd also recommend a half hour train ride to Sitges, on the beach a little south of the city. (Passeig de Gràcia Station <BR>a block from Gaudi Corner.) A walk on the waterfront, a little shopping, a glass of wine, not a bad mini-break from the city.

Old Oct 16th, 2000, 05:33 AM
Jennifer

Thanks so much for the great answers. <BR> <BR>And I of course meant I wouldn't be jet lagged, not hung over. But since I'll be coming from Ireland, it is likely that I will be hung over anyway.

Old Oct 16th, 2000, 07:59 AM
Art

Gaude's Segrada Familea is also worth seeing. Its not to far from the Picasso Museum. Make sure that you spend some time of La Ramba.

Old Oct 16th, 2000, 09:22 AM
rsuri

Barcelona for two days start off walking down the ramblas its a street and an area. Check out the Sagria de familia (I hope I spelt that right) Its a church that Gaudi built early last century. Check out the opera house and if you like shopping go to la cortes inlgles.

Old Oct 16th, 2000, 09:27 AM
michele

Jennifer, <BR>Another vote for the Palau de la Musica, very surreal interior. If you can't go to a concert, at least see the foyer. <BR> <BR>Sagrada Familigia, another excellent recommendation. <BR> <BR>We enjoyed dinner at El Mussol in the Gothic Quarter. Casual, popular spot, with a wide range of locals and tourists. It's mostly grilled meats and poultry and the decor is very industrial. <BR> For fine dining, and they are open for lunch, try Agut D'Avignon. It used to have a Michelin star; it still might.Regional specialties served in a cozy whitewashed dining room. You need reservations. <BR> <BR>Have fun, <BR>Michele <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 16th, 2000, 10:12 AM
Lily

Hi Jennifer, <BR> <BR>The above posts are all good suggestions. I also vote for the place called 7 Ports. We enjoyed a great paellea (sp?) and some good wine there in May. Have fun.

Old Oct 18th, 2000, 08:43 AM
anon

I think the Ramblas is the most over-rated road in Europe. The restaurants around it are tacky and the streets off the port end are unsafe and threatening. This is a big area for pick-pockets. I had my bag slashed in the covered market off the Ramblas, and I didn't notice a thing. <BR>The Barrio Gotic on the other hand is charming and I think it is worth taking a taxi (they are cheap and efficient) to the Pueblo Espanol (or Poblet Espanol in Catalan) which is on the slopes of Mont Juic. It is a miniature village with representations of buildings from all over Spain. They actually dismantled the houses and brought them here. You can stroll around the streets, buy handicrafts in the shops and have a drink in one of the plazas.

Old Oct 18th, 2000, 09:36 AM
ilisa

We stayed at the Hotel Colon a couple of years ago and loved it. Our room wasn't big, but so comfortable. We had a fifth floor room; all of those have balconies. Cathedral view rooms are more expensive. The staff there was wonderful. A wonderful memory was walking outside on a Saturday around 5:30pm and seeing the locals dancing the Sardana in the Gothic Quarter, with the brass band playing on the steps of the cathedral. Oh, how I wanted to join in.