2 days for d-day?

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 01:29 PM
m howell

2 days for d-day?

We will be traveling to Bayeux in July and lodging there. I plan to rent a car to visit d-day beaches, cemeteries, etc. If we arrive in Bayeux in the evening, and spend 2 full days touring, is this sufficient?

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 08:01 PM
Kelly

It depends on how interested you are. I spent a day touring the museums, Pont du Hoc and the American cemetary, and as it was very emotional for me, that was enough. <BR><BR>Don't miss the Bayuex tapestry. I went to see it as soon as it opened and it was amazing to see it all by myself without another tourist in sight. Also, try to see the cathedral.<BR><BR>Bayeux is so quiet at night - so you'll get alot of sleep for your long days exploring!<BR><BR>Have a great time.

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 09:03 PM
gary

Two days is the minimum, it depends on how interested you are in the history of the battle.<BR><BR>Also plan to visit the Peace Museum in nearby Caen. It is there for a reason: Caen was vitually obliterated during the fighting. Today it is a rebuilt city of concrete blocs, very reminiscent of bombed out cities in Germany and Eastern Europe.<BR><BR>Kelly was lucky when she visited the Tapestry. There were school groups there both French and Bitish when I visited. But don't let that dissuade you. Rent the audio commentary, it is worthwhile, and let the school groups go past you. The tapestry is truly awesome.<BR><BR>Bon Voyage.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 10:16 AM
AMoss

Where is a great place to stay in or near Bayeau?

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 04:54 PM
Jean

Two days would be the minimum. I second the recommendation re the Peace Museum in Caen.<BR><BR>We stayed at the Chateau D'Argouges in Bayeux. Very reasonable ($65 for a double in Oct. 1999; closer to $75 for a double in Nov. 2001) and very comfortable. Read an accurate description of the hotel and good itinerary suggestions in the Karen Brown "Inns and Itineraries - France."