Search

2-2.5 Days in Venice

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2-2.5 Days in Venice

Hey guys,

Will be in Venice from the 20th (Afternoon) to the 22th(Evening) this month, so essentially just 2 days in Venice. At the moment these are what I have in mind:

Considering we will be doing our shopping in Milan, in Venice we would like:

1.to visit Murano Island to have a look at glass items and glass blowing.

2.Take either the #1 or the #2, or the gondola (unlikely) and immerse in the Venetian architecture and the likes.

3.Would a visit to St. Mark's Cathedral be absolutely necessary?

Anything else which should be on our list during the two days?

Thanks so much!
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 10:23 AM

Hello, fr3derick, you are in luck as there is another thread going here on Fodor's with the same question. Here is the thread, I think you will find it a wealth of information. Also, if after reading the thread if interested click on Franco's name and you will see his thread about food and restaurants in Venice.
Wishing you a lovely trip!

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-in-venice.cfm
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 11:02 AM

I absolutely think that a visit to St. Mark's Cathedral with a trot upstairs to the loggia is a must because the cathedral is a visual and historial "centering" experience. You won't be looking at a Gothic cathedral--you will be seeing a Byzantine gem. And then you must look over the square on the loggia. Download a free Rick Steves Mp3 tour, and you can play it while you walk through the cathedral and the overlook.

FYI, Venetian trade began under the protection of the Byzantine Empire, centered at Constantinople. And by visiting St. Marks, you can begin to understand that Venice was only recently Italian in nature--for most of its time, it was entity until itself. The city's riches actually declined during the Age of Exploration, the era we all studied so much in school, because until then, Venice was the West of the East-West trade. St. Mark's represents that entire chapter of history.

No matter what interests others have (shopping, architecture, etc), a ride on the Grand Canal at sunset plus an evening visit to St. Mark's Square are the other "musts". Getting lost in back alleys--PRICELESS. Everything else is a matter of preference.

For example, I don't think I'd go to a glass-blowing exhibition on Murano if you paid me, but I'd watch fish sold in the Rialto fish market in pouring rain if need be. And I'm not going to visit the Accademia again but will return to Peggy Guggenheim's house in an instant. I would never expect others to agree with me--it's what I want and I don't want to intrude on your preferences.

One thing I do suggest--if there's the slightest possibility that you would be going out to S. Maggiore for the church tower view, then you'd probably want to skip the campinelle on St. Mark's. You don't need to do both. The S. Maggiore view gives you more of a perspective on how Venice is situated and so on.
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 11:13 AM

The other thread that Love Italy mentions will give you all sorts of ideas.

I just want to add that I cannot IMAGINE going to Venice and not at least popping into St. Mark's. I mean, even if the history doesn't interest you, it's just So Right There. I can't believe anyone wouldn't at least be curious. And with 2 days in Venice, I personally wouldn't go out to any of the islands. My favorite thing in Venice is to wander around and get lost, particularly in the old ghetto area.

But it's your trip, so do what appeals to you.
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 12:21 PM

StCirq, would you believe I introduced the old ghetto area to Italian friends that have lived in the Region of Veneto for all of their lifes and who had never been there? I thought you would appreciate that little fact, my friend.

And personally I also agree with StCirq in that I wouldn't bother going to any of the island either with just two days but of course we are all so different and it is important that you experience what is of the most interest to you, fr3drick.
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 12:28 PM

That's hard to believe, LI! We had the most wonderful experience in the ghetto last time we were there. We wandered into a Jewish bookstore and started talking to the proprietor. We asked a few questions, and he must have realized that we didn't know very much about the history of that part of Venice. After a few minutes he closed up his shop and proceeded to take us on a long, very detailed tour of what I think was most of the ghetto. When we finished he wouldn't let us give him anything more than a cup of coffee. He was just the most delightful man.