Reload this Page >

1st Visit to Germany - 2 Wks. in Sept

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 06:42 PM
Brent & Fran

We will be visiting Germany for the first time during the last two weeks of Sept 2001. We are experienced travellers and tend to look for the best price/quality options (don't we all). Arriving and departing Munich <BR> <BR>We are looking for the best itinerary suggestions given 4-5 days in Munich. How would you spend the time and money? Stay in South Germany, go to Austria, Swiss, etc?? <BR> <BR>We are experts on travel to Spain if you would like help there.

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 08:00 PM
Linda

Munich can be a base for daytrips. Berchtsgaden (Hitler's Eagle Nest), etc. But, if you have two weeks, a trip to Berlin is an absolute must--it is the history of the 20th century, has great cultural activities, good nightlife, friendly people and good food. Other places: Koblenz (sail the Rhine), Hamelin (as in Pied Piper--great little city), Rothenberg (Romantic Road), Tuebingen (pretty and interesting), Dresden (rebuilt after WWII wonderfully and Meissen is close by), Leipzig (culturally nice). Since you will be going in September, email the German Embassy in your capital and ask for maps and information. You could spend your entire time in Germany and not see everything. Salzburg, Austria is fairly near Berchtsgaden.

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 08:22 PM
nickie

You didn't mention if you were driving or taking the train, but if you have a vehicle, I would suggest you make day trips into the surrounding area in Bavaria. Visiting King Ludwigs castles of Neuschwanstein and Linderhof are both doable in a day, plus a quick visit to the Wies church, which is a rather unexpected gem. If the weather is good, you might want to go to Garmisch and take a train up the Zugspitz (mountain) for some breathtaking views. Berchtesgaden is also only a couple of hours away - and there are fun things to do there as well (saltmines, boat trip on a lovely lake, historical trip to the Eagle's nest). You don't have a lot of time, so I would try to stay in that region, and in any case, Bavaria is unsurpassed IMHO for the best scenery in Germany.

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 11:35 PM
mark28

As I am from Germany, I would also recommend to visit Bavaria first. But be aware that in the last two weeks in september Munich celebrates the famous Oktoberfest, which means Hotels (if available) are very expensive. In Munich the 5-star Hotel 'Bayerischer Hof' is probably the best choice to experience German hospitality. But if you visit the Bavarian alps you should visit Berchtesgaden and the lake Koenigsee, dont miss the famous castles Neuschwanstein,Linderhof and the incredible baroque church of Wies. <BR>A must see in Germany is devinitively Berlin, with all its historic places. Berlin is going to be the most dynamic capital in Europe. (my Hotel recommendation is the Four Seasons or the Hilton). 2-3 full days are enough for Berlin. I would suggest to start with Bavaria. 3 days for Munich (including Oktoberfest) then 2 days for the castles near the town of Fuessen (1h from munich) 2-3 days for the town of Berchtesgaden including a day trip to the city of Salzburg (birthplace of Mozart). Then take a plane from Munich to Berlin. Stay there 3 days, followed maybe by a vistit of the city of Dresden But if you prefer more the natural scenery, visit the BlackForest! There you will find Germanys most charming and best hotels like the famous 'Traube' with its 3-star Restaurant (www.traube-tonbach.de) or the hotel buehlerhoehe (www.buehlerhoehe.de) from there you can book daytrips even to Strassburg in France (Alsace).

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 07:37 AM
wes fowler

Brent and Fran, <BR>By all means consider Upper Bavaria for four or five days exploring. The weather is invariably beautiful in late September. While it's true Oktoberfest will be underway, you can save considerable accommodation costs by staying in a gasthaus in the outlying areas of Munich. Rent a car (it's the only way to explore the area); if you plan on exploring Munich itself, drive to the nearest S-bahn station and train into the city. I'm sending you three or four driving itineraries that will give you the opportunity to see thirteen Alpine lakes, three castles, a number of Baroque architectural masterpieces, the German Alpine range and access to the Zugspitze, German's highest Alp. <BR> <BR>Email me if you feel I can be of help. <BR>A

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 01:42 PM
Andrew

Your basic itinerary depends on how much you want to get involved with Oktoberfest. It will start about Sept 21st & go on for about 16 days. It will be tough to find a good hotel if you don't reserve early (now). Most of the action is at Teresien Park where the huge beer halls will be full by noon & foreign visitors will already begin to get sick. It's actually a good time to visit the Hofbrau Haus as it's less crowded. If there's any one thing you must do, it's to rent a car and explore the whole state of Bavaria. Also, since you're so close, visit Salzburg & surrounding Austrian countryside. If you're not party people, visit Munich first...if you like to party, save Munich for last. <BR>

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 03:20 PM
Bob

We go to Germany frequently and love Bavaria. <BR> <BR>My suggestion: Do Munich first. Then drive to Berchtesgaden. Three nights. Visit Salzburg on one of the days. Do Koeningsee Lake, Eagle's Nest, Salt Mine on the other days. Nice hotel there is the Watzmann. <BR> <BR>Leave there and drive the Alpine Road to Garmisch. Stop in the small towns along the way such as Reit Am Winkl. Stay in Garmisch three nights. Visit Oberammergau, Linderhof, Ettal Abbey and day drive to Neuschwanstein and Wies Church. <BR> <BR>Head up north on the Romantic Road and end in Rothenburg. See Dinkelsbuhl on drive north. A few nights in Rothenburg. Do night watchman's tour and explore the city. Kathe Wohlfarths Christmas shop is fun. Nice hotel is Reichs Kutchenmeister. Day trip to Nuremburg time permitting. <BR> <BR>Depending on time, head back to airport in Munich. We usually fly out of Frankfurt and this allows us time to see Heidelberg and spend last night on the Rhine River before flying home. Your Munich in and Munich out route does not allow that. <BR> <BR>We also enjoy staying in a few hotels and branching out versus changing hotels every few nights. Changing wastes time. <BR> <BR>As you go through Bavarian towns ask for the small walking stick shields that each town sells. About $1.50 each and curved to fit on a stick. Nice collection to have of each location you visit. Get your stick too. <BR> <BR>Email me with any specific questions. You are picking a great time to go.