Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

1ST TRIP TO EUROPE: PARIS, ITALY AND SPAIN, PLEASE HELP!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2012, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello friends!
My husband and I are planning a trip to Europe for the summer of 2012. The dates are looking from July 15 through the 30 so 2 weeks and 2 days (we lose the 15th and 29th for travel). The places we want to visit are as follows:

3 days in Paris
6 days in Spain (visiting Barcelona, Madrid and Granada)
6 days in Italy (visiting Rome, Venice and Florence)

I have many questions but I'll start with this. First, is this schedule feasible? Second, how would we get from Paris to Spain and then Italy? Third, are there places we must see in Spain and Italy? Do we have too many cities?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm a very organized and thorough person and I really want to plan this vacation to every detail so that we're prepared and aware of the time we have (adjusting to time change, planning for travel time in between places, etc).

Again, I REALLY appreciate any and all help here! If you'd like to provide additional information besides on here please email me at [email protected], I'd more than appreciate it!

Thanks again! RD
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 05:13 AM

Your itinerary is not recommended, way too much cramming. For example six days in Italy to see 3 of the MAJOR cities is a crime, specally towards the end of your two weeks when you will start to get tired of the rushed pace. Same goes for Spain-- not a chance I would crammed those cities in 6 days. You asked what are your MUST see; you are the only person who truly can answer that. Go to the library/go online, read on the destinations and start two columns list: MUST SEE and NICE TO SEE. This will dictate your itinerary.

My advice would be that you pick THREE CITIES MAX and daytrip from there; i.e. fly into Paris (spend 3 days), overnight train Paris-Barcelona (3 days), fly BCN-Rome, depart from Rome. From Rome do daytrips to Florence and you may even be able to squeeze an overnight someplace else.

QQ: can you travel in the Spring or early Fall? Summers in Europe are insanely crowded for the cities and sights you will be visiting. A visit to the Eiffel Tower could very well take you the whole morning with not a lot of time (...or stamina) left for all the other sites.
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 05:20 AM

Sounds like a fun, but busy, and tiring trip.

Look for cheap flights between each place ie Paris - Madrid/Barcelona ... trains and buses will take up too much time. Make sure you are quite careful as to where your flights land... if you are flying with the low cost airlines.

Ryan Air for example flies to Girona which means you need another 1.30 to 2 hours to connect via a bus trip to Barcelona. (but they state their flights are to Barcelona, for a first timer this can be confusing.) So just double check before you book.

I cannot give more info on the other places having only visited Paris and Venice (i live in Barcelona.)feel free to visit my blog where i post photos and little titbits of info if you like.
http://katcameronillustration.wordpress.com
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 05:23 AM

I have to agree with Viajero2 on 2 points: its a lot to fit in, and it will be very very busy (not to mention very very hot) which doesn't make for travelling bliss! Def work out a quality vs quantity list.
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

thanks everyone, I will share this information with my husband! I can't get the time off of work to go in the spring and I fear we wouldn't have enough time to plan for that but it sounds like summer in Europe isn't the best so now I'm worried?!
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 05:54 AM

If summer is what you get then take it! you only have to adjust your itinerary and expectations to a Summer trip in Europe. Slow down the pace, that's all.
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 05:57 AM

Without knowing your travel style, I'd agree that in 15 days, 3 cities would be my goal. Notw that even though you are stayiing in 3 cities that does not mean you need to stay there, could do soem day trips. I might plan the 3 cites, and then possible day trips for each, and then decide on the fly wether to go or not.

I will hazard a guess that even with 3 cities, you would not see everything in each city.

Also, wghen you look at those 15 days, assuming you fly between destinations, build the time into your schedule to allow , say, 1/2 day to: check out of hotel, get to departure airport, flight, get bags, taxi from arrival airport to hotel, ...and then start touring.

Also, don't fly in and out of same city. Use an Open Jaw..e.g. fly into Madrid, fly home from Rome.
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

What if we were do to Paris for 3 nights, Barcelona for 6 and Rome for 6? I was thinking maybe a day trip to Florence and Naples if possible, looks like it's easier travel to those places then Venice. Any suggested day trips while in Spain? Again, we have never been so there isn't a must see list for us yet (I'm going to work on one) but we would just like to experience the beauty that is Europe! Any suggested must-sees by anyone with regards to Paris, Barcelona or Italy? I think three places is best so I'm going to start there and I think Paris, Barcelona and Rome might be best! Really appreciate all the help! We plan to fly into Paris from Detroit and out of Rome. Any suggested airlines? We have miles with Delta but I'm not sure enough to help us much...
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 06:32 AM

Please do not do day trips from Rome to Florence or Naples.

Enjoy where you are.

We travel and have since our early 20's that is better to see a few places well than many poorly. Remember the day you travel you are packing, unpacking, checking out, checking in and getting to the bus, train, or plane and once again getting from the bus, train, and plane.

There are many relaible inter-Europe airlines such as Vueling, Ryan, and Easyjet and most have more rules than monastaries and more penalties but you can save money if you understand how to use them.

I have Delta miles and they are so confusing I had to call the other day and we have used them in the past for Spain and Turkey.
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 06:48 AM

I'd add a day or two to Paris as you may be jetlagged on arrival.
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 07:01 AM

please heed above advice to cut back on travel days. To make the trip fairly comfortable, fun, educational and meaningful, this has to be looked at seriously. I'd rethink long day trips from Rome, especially. The longer a day trip the more one will "spend" time-wise and energy-wise.
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

I'm thinking our new plan will be 3 nights in Paris, 6 nights in Barcelona and 6 nights in Rome. Is this more feasible? Any must-sees for first time newlywed travelers?
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 07:20 AM

http://www.viator.com/Rome-attractio...f=02&aid=g3701
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 07:40 AM

<<we would just like to experience the beauty that is Europe!>>

Then you need to change your plans. Your trip, as now envisioned, is:

1) rushed
2) expensive (because you are traveling among 3 different countries in two weeks - many, many people spend a month or two in just one and "experience the beauty.")

You need more time in Paris. Even discounting the jetlag factor, 3 days is barely enough to get oriented, never mind experience the beauty. I would divide the time equally between Paris and Barcelona (well, actually, I'd eliminate Barcelona altogether, but that's just me).

If you go to Rome for 6 days, stay in Rome. Hopping on trains and zig-zagging all over Italy is going to cost money and time. If you want to spend time in other parts of Italy (Florence, Naples, whatever)...go there and not to Rome.

The "must-sees" are the places you land, not the places you rush off to once you've landed.

If this were my trip, I'd be limiting it to two cities at most, but it's your trip.
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 07:52 AM

First, you might need a map to see how far apart things are for supposed day trips.
I second the "more time in Paris". It is a much more accessible city for seeing a lot, enjoying a lot.
Checking in and out of hotels, getting from airports (the distances you are doing are LONG) takes a lot of time.
If you want to see all those places in Italy, then train to Venice for a day, go to Florence for two, and Rome for 3. Bag Naples.
Barcelona OR Rome are the outliers in my opinion. Rome is very spread out. Florence is wonderful and charming and FULL of history and art.
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

StCirq, why eliminate Barcelona? I agree on the time and maybe we should plan for 7 days in Paris and 7 days in Rome? Do you think that is something more reasonable? I guess we opted for more places because I don't know if we ever will go back, at least for a long time, we plan to start a family in a year or two. I really appreciate your feedback. I'll have to re-think this yet again!
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 08:08 AM

Yes, I think that 7 days in Paris and 7 in Rome is a FAR more reasonable plan. And I would pretty much bet on your going back (pretty much everyone does once they've been there and "experienced the beauty"). As for Barcelona, it's just my personal opinion. You've chosen three destinations that are really far apart (please do consult a map and see what I mean), and of the three, Barcelona would be the one I would eliminate. Others would make different choices.

BTW, 7 days each in two cities would allow you time to make a couple of daytrips...and at far less expense than including another country in your plans.
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Ok, I think we will plan for 7 days in Paris and 7 days in Rome. I for sure what to see the Eiffel Tower in Paris and the Vatican in Rome and possibly a few day trips...

What would be most accessible in terms of day trips from Rome? Also, would it be worth leaving Paris for a day or spending all 7 days there? Thanks again everyone for the awesome feedback, I feel like I have so much more of a plan now!
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 08:28 AM

There are countless day trips one can make from Paris: Versailles, Chantilly and Senlis, Fontainebleau, Auvers-sur-Oise, Ile des Impressionistes (1/2-day trip for that), Saint Denis...do a search here on Fodors for ideas.

I'm less familiar with day trips from Rome, but Ostia Antica for sure...again, do a search; there are lots of ideas.
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 08:45 AM

I'm not familiar with Rome, but Barcelona is a great city for the tourist. its compact enough that getting around in the city to all the sights is easy, its also quite cheap in comparison to other european cities, you can find really lovely accomodation deals on Airbnb. There are also awesome day trips from barcelona that include:
the churches on monserrat, beautiful villages and beaches on the coast north and south of Barcelona, a day trip to Cadaques is a winner, and you can visit the home of Salvador Dali which is really interesting. Tarragona, Sitges, Tossa del Mar are all coastal towns with loads of interesting ruins, architechture and beautiful beaches which are all AMAZING in Summer. There is so much to do here that you won't be bored!

I would be especially loathe to miss out on the beach if you can only go in Summer.
I may be biased but I would choose Barcelona over Paris even (having never been to Rome)

or go back to your original plan of Paris, Rome and Barcelona.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -