Reload this Page >

1st trip report from london england!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2001, 04:07 PM
sandy c

hi everyone, <BR> <BR>This is my first trip report from London! <BR> <BR>Some major sucesses! <BR> <BR>1) we made it to airport on time! <BR> <BR>2) the plane was not crowded and we all stretched out and slept most of the trip! <BR> <BR>3) the plane landed safely! <BR> <BR>4) our airport transfer was a great ride and hosted by a comedian! <BR> <BR>i would call this a very successful start wouldn't you? <BR> <BR>now our first day was very simple, we knew we would be tired and also knew would needed to stay up as late as possible to get rid of the time change/jetlag problem. so we had a problem, where could we go that afternoon that would take up six or seven hours time and not be too exhausting?? <BR> <BR>museum,,,nah,,,,one of the major sites,,,nah,,,oh,,,this is a perfect solution and one only 5 women that have the perfect sense god gave them....What will take up to six or seven hours and be in one area? why HARRODS, OF COURSE? yes ladies and gentlemen i am here to tell you that we spent our first day in london,,in it's most prestigious shopping temple! all 5 blocks and 5 floors of it! shaloom shaloom shaloom,,those egyptians know style! <BR> <BR>so after walking my %&$ in a department store we decided to walk down oxford street and try to find a grocery store,,found marks & spencer. <BR> <BR>for those of you who don't know this, we decided to stay at the comfort inn hyde park and we have a 3 bedroom hotel suite with full kitchen. so we decided to get some food for the fridge. i loved shopping in british groceries...you feel like you are buying from the imported section only the imported section takes up the whole store. <BR> <BR>our day ended to the tune of sandy whining, 'my feet hurt',,,'my feet are numb',,,'do you think i have done permanent damage to my feet?' while we waited for the 94 bus to take us down oxford to bayswater. we finally made it back to the hotel at about 9.30pm that first night. i graciously said 'if you want the bathroom, you had better take it now because i am staking a hour claim with a tubful of cold water', then promptly layed down to wait and slept 9 hours in my travel clothes. they woke me up with 'sandy are you alive' at about 6am the next morning. <BR> <BR>i would say our first day was pretty successful, i mean we aclimatized ourselves, familiarized ourselves with the local cusine and shopping facilities,,oh did i tell you we ate dinner at mac d's on oxford? <BR> <BR>continued part 2

Old Oct 13th, 2001, 04:08 PM
sandy c

continued from part 1 <BR> <BR>seriously, folks, i am having a great time! the trip was extremely safe and protected. i have never felt so safe. while i am sad that the tourist business if off and the airlines are doing badly, i have to say that it was wonderful to be so comfortable in coach. we were in the back section and only had about 50 people,,that meant many of us could stretch out and sleep. <BR> <BR>note: vistors travelcard cannot be purchased at gatwick. we decided not to buy the 7 day travelcard because we are only here in london for 5 days and 2 of those are on day trips and we wouldn't use it. since we missed the deal on the vistor travelcard we have decided to buy the day passes. for those of you that are thinking of not buying the vouchers in the states, i would think long and hard. if you are flying into heathrow you can buy them there, otherwise order the voucher in the states and pick it up at the metro station. <BR> <BR>we wanted a very uncomplicated 1st day and other than the metro mixup, we did get that. <BR> <BR>i want to say to those thinking of canceling, i have felt very safe and london is filled with middle eastern people. of course you are apprehensive somewhat, but we decided to just be cautious as our state department has warned us and just be aware,,so far everyone has been wonderful. <BR> <BR>if you can,,,go! we are having a wonderful time! <BR> <BR>i am sitting here at the internet cafe at leinster terrace which is open 24 glorious hours. wonderful news for this insomniac! <BR> <BR>tuddle lou? cherrie o? oh hell, see y'all later! <BR> <BR>sandy c <BR>new bern nc <BR>

Old Oct 13th, 2001, 07:01 PM
Marla

Great to hear from you Sandy! We leave on Monday and will meet up with you and Elvira in Paris on Saturday the 20th. <BR> <BR>We arrive on Tuesday at Heathrow at 6:40 am --- I may try your Harrod's shopping tip to keep me awake that afternoon! See you soon! Marla

Old Oct 13th, 2001, 07:56 PM
marie

Sandy how much does the cafe charge you to use the internet? Marla here is another suggestion for your first day in London (of course it won't take you as long as shopping in Harrods) take one of those sightseeing tours of London. That really helps one familiarize themselves of a new city. We took the hop on hop off bus where you could get off at any site you wanted. Than later get back on. Shopping tends to tire me out. Glad you are having a great time Sandy.

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 12:21 AM
Shadow

Sandy-I am enjoying the trip report! Can't wait to read more! Have fun! <BR>Shadow

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 06:39 AM
Stephanie

I cannot wait to hear more of your travels in London. I have a month to go before I leave, and trying to be excited; your report has definitely brought cheer.

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 08:26 AM
Ben Haines

And has brought cheer to me. I hope London goes on pleasing you, and look forward to your next report. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, Londoner

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 04:55 PM
Diane

Sounds great, Sandy. I'm trying not to plan my April trip too far in advance, and will wait a bit longer. But anticipate hearing some fun ideas!