Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

1st trip out of the US: 7 days in the UK.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2000, 04:18 PM
Chris

I want waterfalls, caves, small towns, and beautiful countrysides. My base will be London. Does anyone have suggestions?

Old Jun 14th, 2000, 04:31 PM
Thyra

Chris, do you have to stay in London? If you want caves and waterfalls, North Wales IMO is the best place or possibly the Lake District in the North, but these are too far away for day trips. Cornwall is another gem, with fantastic ruins small towns and awe inspiring coastlines, but again, too far for day tripping. Stratford you could do in a day and the countryside around there is absolutely stunning. Good Luck!

Old Jun 14th, 2000, 05:47 PM
Paul

Chris - All villages and countryside in the Cotswolds would be what you're looking for - with Chipping Campden, Painswick and Upper/Lower Slaughter being my personal favorites. That area is an easy jaunt from London (past Oxford) but probably more enjoyed with your own wheels. As to waterfalls and caves I have no idea but would guess the <BR>distant Lake District, as stated above. <BR>Also, basically any direction you head out of London you will find beautiful countyside and towns. London is humongous but once outside the M25 gives way rapidly to the country. Remember that term - "give way" - you'll see it frequently if you rent a car. Also, I would recommend not wearing white socks or athletic shoes. These 2 statements will make more sense after your trip -- <BR>in the meantime have a great time and post some of your thoughts and discoveries here upon return.

Old Jun 15th, 2000, 04:02 AM
Cyrano

Unless your hotel reservations are set, I would recommend 4 days in London and 3 in the Cotswolds. That will give you time to do Bath, the beautiful villages of the Cotswolds, Warwick Castle, and Stratford-upon-Avon if so inclined. Stow-on-the-Wold is a convenient base for the Cotswolds, and I can recommend The Unicorn (99pounds), but there are many b&bs in the area for less. A train from Paddington to Moreton-on-Marsh will get you there. <BR> <BR>Do London first. After four days you will love the peace and quiet of the Cotswolds. Take the time to do some short walks through the sheep pastures.

Old Jun 15th, 2000, 06:13 AM
Gina

The Cotswolds are lovely and definitely meet Chris' request for small towns and beautiful countrysides, but unless I was in the wrong part of the Cotswolds, not a lot of waterfalls and caves there. I think Thyra's right about North Wales being your best bet in Britain for that sort of thing (although there are also some gorgeous waterfalls and, I assume, caves as well in the Highlands of Scotland, my personal favorite being Allegin Falls near Torridon). <BR> <BR>Though I love the country, I'm also passionate about the city and wouldn't recommend that a first-time visitor to the UK pass up the excitement of London. Nevertheless, if Chris' primary interest is nature and the countryside, I'd recommend hitting the road and leaving London as soon and as much as possible...is there any way you can base yourself somewhere else? In the west country, perhaps?

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 09:24 AM
David White

Chris, <BR> <BR>The Yorkshire Dales have waterfalls, caves, small towns, and beautiful countryside. Closer than the Lake District (and less crowded during the summer). You can get to York by train from London in 2 hours, then rent a car and drive from there (or take another train to Harrogate or a town further into the Dales). <BR> <BR>If you intend to stay in London the entire trip, and you can do without caves and spectacular waterfalls, then the Cotswolds are a good bet. They will also be crowded during the summer months, but it is pretty easy to get beyond the tour bus stops--just walk one of the hundreds of public pathways that criss-cross the area. <BR> <BR>Enjoy your trip! <BR> <BR>David White <BR>www.KidsToLondon.com0

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 03:18 PM
Chris

Hello everyone, <BR>Thank you for letting me have suggestions on what to do in the UK. I am here. Once back in the States I will write a summary of my journeys. I am at www.easyeverything.com right now. This is by far the best (and only) internet cafe. For just a £1 you get at least an hour of internet. This place is always over half full. Tomorrow I am renting a car from www.easyrentacar.com This will be my first real solo out in the countryside. I can't wait to drive out of London. I love it here. There was no way I was going to see everything in 5 days. As I mentioned earlier, upon return to the States I will write more. Thank you for all the ideas. <BR>your chat, <BR>Chris

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 09:58 AM
J.M.

Hey Chris - how was your trip??

Old Jul 16th, 2000, 05:52 AM
Mark

Hi Chris, <BR> <BR>Let me know what you did, I would agree with Davids suggestion of the Yorkshire Dales, as it fulfills your criteria perfectly : lovely countryside, wonderful pubs (The Angel at Hetton does fantastic food) and several caves (White Scar show cave near Ingleton is Englands longest show cave and well worth a visit); plenty of waterfalls (there is a waterfalls walk from Ingleton which goes past several falls) and many attractive small towns and villages (Dent; Middleham; Richmond etc <BR> <BR>As for easyeverything internet cafes - they are a bargain and very useful when in London. <BR> <BR>Mark. <BR> <BR>Mark Southgate. <BR>www.OneClickTravel.com <BR>=======================