Reload this Page >

1st Time - What to do

Search

1st Time - What to do

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 1999, 06:02 PM
Steve

1st Time - What to do

We will be traveling to Europe for the first time this fall and would like suggestions on sites/countries to see. We like natural and historic sites. We are planning on flying into frankfurt and end up in paris 10 days later to catch our flight home. we plan to have a rental car the entire time and do not mind long moderate drives. <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 23rd, 1999, 06:16 PM
Mary Ann

You will have a great time. The www.cwlease.com will help in travel miles with exact trip tics between european cities. Figure out where you want to go then check miles and time. With arrival in Frankfurt, you can choose from the romantic road, with Rothenburg au d'Tauber (16th century medieval) a must. Then there is the Rhine. You probably will want to leave at least 3 days for Paris. Rick Steves travel books are great helps. There are all sorts of hotel webs, tourist board webs and other resources.We usually like to stay at small pensions or hotels with 25 rooms or less, some only 6. Switzerland is also close, but assume you will go back so that you do not spend all your time in the car. Have fun.

Old Apr 23rd, 1999, 06:16 PM
Cheryl Z.

<BR>Since you're flying into Frankfurt, be sure you spend some time on the Rhine touring all the castles. Beautiful country side and the castles are great to climb.

Old May 4th, 1999, 05:54 PM
Geoff

THis is an easy one. YOu must go to Rudesheim. It is on the Rhine and is only an hour or so drive from Frankfurt. This is a great little town with tons to do. Next, I would head south. YOu should go to Garmisch-Partenkirchen. It is about a 6 hour drive from Frankfurt, but well worth it. In that area are the best castles in Germany. THe three that I will mention were built by King Ludwig II. Neuschwanstein is awesome. It is the castle that Walt Disney modeled Disney World off of. You should also visit Lindau castle before leaving the area. From there you can head east about 2 hours and go to the Berchtesgarden. THis is where Hitlers hideout the Eagles Nest is. THis is definately worth seeing. It has a great view. On the way there, stop and See Castle Herrenchiemsee. It is a castle on an island. It is absolutley beautiful. This was part of the trip I took last year and I am going back in May. I highly suggest you try it out. It involves some driving, but there are great little towns along the way. Email me if you have any questions and good luck.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 07:43 PM
roger & Amy

Hi Steve!<BR><BR> Definitely start your trip going south from Frankfurt down the Romantic Road. Your first stop will be Rothenberg. I hope you decide to spend your fist night there. If so, catch the Nightwatchman tour. Every evening, at sunset, the night watch man (nightwatchman?) will give you walking tours of the walled city. Very entertaining.<BR> Follow the Romantic road on down to the castles built by King Ludwig. Go see all of them. I do recommend, if you have time, to go to Berchtesgarden. It is a beautiful drive. <BR> Last thing. I would personally rather go to Salzburg than to Paris. Salzburg is probably the most beautiful city in the area. Amy and I were so glad to get out of Paris that we left a day early. Paris is dirty, smelly and dull compared to Germany and Austria. Spend most of your time there. Other parts of France are better to go to, such as Normandy. Normandy has nice people. Even the people of Normandy don't like Paris! <BR> Have Fun!<BR><BR><BR> Roger

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 07:52 PM
Anon

It appears that Steve should have returned home from this trip about three years ago. Besides telling the world that you think Paris is dirty, smelly and dull, is there any particular reason to respond to his post NOW?!