Reload this Page >

1st time to Europe

Search

1st time to Europe

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 05:21 PM
Greg Miller

1st time to Europe

A couple of friends and I are planning on going to Europe the first week of May. None of us have been to Europe before. I know that you do not want to overdue it and try and see too much the first time around. However, we would also like to a good flavor of Europe. Here is what we have in mind: see Milan/Munich/Frankfurt/Prague in a 11 day period. We would take the Euro rail to get around from city to city. What should we see??? What about the black forest in Germany??? It is the real deal???? If you had to see just one of these four cities which one would it be??? What "must" we see in these cities or the nearby countryside??? By the way, we are all in our mid 20's so bring on the challenges!!!!!!

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 01:56 AM
Paige

I'd skip Frankfurt and Milan and maybe substitute Venice and Vienna. Just a quick thought.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 03:02 AM
Anna

I would second the above - Rome,Venice, Vienna, London etc. are all more interesting than Milan and Frankfurt. <BR> <BR>If I were to choose one of the 4 cities that you listed - I would go for Prague, but 11 days is probably too long.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 05:00 AM
Lee

Greg, I would have to agree somewhat with the prevous posters. <BR> <BR>I like Frankfurt, it's convenient because I lived there, but not exciting for everyone. <BR> <BR>11 days seems like a long time, but it isn't. We just spent seven days in Prague and didn't get in all that we wanted to. <BR> <BR>Here's what I would do, keeping it regional: <BR> <BR>Berlin-this is a great city with much to offer. It is the "new" capital with a wealth of culture and history. It is a happening town. I would allow three days here, minimum. <BR> <BR>Prague-so little of it has been damaged during the war that the architecture alone is worth a visit. Again, at least three days. Stay in Old Town and see the castle and Lesser Quarter at least. <BR> <BR>I would then move on to either Vienna, Salzburg or Munich. Personally, I would go to Vienna and spend a couple of days there and move on to Salzburg for your remaining time. They are both beautiful cities. This way, you get a flavor for Germany, the Czech Republic and Austria which will merely whet your appetite for return visits. <BR> <BR>Pick up a guide book for each city and read it in advance. It really helps. <BR> <BR>Have a good trip. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 11:01 AM
lisa

Of the four cities you've listed, I've only been to Milan and Frankfurt. Of all the places you could go in Europe, I would not make either one of them a priority. Both have great transportation connections to other places though. In Italy I would choose Venice or Florence over Milan. In Germany, Frankfurt is great as a jumping-off point for the Rhine & Mosel boats which can take you to some great towns, castles, vineyards and scenery -- but I don't see any real reason to stay overnight in Frankfurt unless you're there on business? Plus, 4 cities is a lot in 11 days. I would pick 3 cities and spend 3-4 days in each.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 11:03 AM
Deb

Greg,I would leave out Milan and the Germany parts are up to you, sounds like they are your greatest interest. Venice is great and I would substitute that for Milan if you want to see part of Italy. Check out how long it will take you to get from place to place by train and that will help you in your planning. I went to Paris and Italy last year and just planned on two nights in each city with the exception of my first stop after flying in where I spent three days. That took alot of running to see everything in each city but I was traveling alone and could cover alot of ground. I would do it exactly the same if I had the chance to do it over.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 01:25 PM
morgan

I would skip Milan and Frankfurt, and go to Venice and Vienna, or Lucerne. Also Krakow is a little further east, it's about 6 hours by train from Prague. If you like Prague though, I think you will like Krakow, and it's cheap, and very midevil. I wouldn't worry about the time, the more rest the better, it is after all a vacation right? If I had to pick just one of those cities you listed though I would have to pick Prague, definitely!!

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 01:30 PM
morgan

Forgot to tell you, if you are in Prague, be careful of taxi drivers, they are notoriously bad about ripping you off. Much better to grab the subway system. It is easy to follow, and easy to use.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 01:38 PM
xxx

Greg: Maybe you could be a little more specific as to what kinds of things you are looking for. Without a little more input, everyone will have a different itinerary for you. Mine would be Amsterdam, Cologne/Rhine/Mosel, Paris and London, with a possible stop in Belgium and/or Luxembourg along the way. BUT that is pushing it in 11 days. <BR>

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 04:27 PM
bill

My wife and I took the same sort of trip a couple of years ago. Good preparation is the key. We started with "Europe through the back door" by Rick Steves which has a great deal of practical information. Once we had settled on an itinerary we went to the library and bookstores and got books specific to each of our destinations. Every hour of preparation is well worth the time you spend. Pack lightly...

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 07:10 AM
Linda

I don't think 11 days will give you enough time for all 4. Maybe a Munich/Berlin/Prague or Munich/Vienna/Prague. You don't want to waste your time on a train. Each of ones mentioned will give you a different flavor. From all of the above, you can take daytrips. Trust me, moving every other day is not fun & daytrips give you a better appreciation for the area. Munich has been in the West always & has a Bavarian feel. Berlin is the history of the 20th century and has culture and active nightlife. Prague is the Eastern Europe feel but with an overembracement of capitalism--not bombed in WWII, so the architecture is great. Vienna is beautiful, cultural and another with active nightlife. Try the German rail site at http://bahn.hafas.de for ideas of schedules and times. Do Milan another time.