1st time in Paris

Search

1st time in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st time in Paris

My husband and I will be going to paris in August for our anniversary. Will be staying at Hotel Des Saint Peres. ANy suggestions on what not to miss for 1st timers? Will stay in PAris for 10 days. Do we need to learn French? Will be grateful for any suggestions...
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 11:34 PM

The Hotel des Saint Pères is in a great location (the 6th Arrondissment near Saint Germain des Prés). You don't need to learn French because a large amount of people know English, but it's always nice to learn a few phrases. If you want a very memorable experience, reserve a table at the Jules Vernes restaurant (very expensive though). It's on the second floor of the Eiffel Tower and you can take their private elevator to the top. The food is excellent and is a very memorable experience. Their telephone number is +33 (0) 1 45 55 61 44 (calling from Paris: 01 45 55 61 44) Reservations are hard to make so reserve in advance. There are some other good restaurants in walking distance from your hotel such as the Bistro de Paris on Rue de Lille and the two famous cafés: Les Deux Magots and Le Café de Flore (I used to live in the building next door to the Café de Flore)
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 04:49 AM
ira

Hi trix,

Also see
Paris Superthread
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34519236

Old Jul 8th, 2005, 05:54 AM

How wonderful. You will love the Hotel des Saints-Peres. We always stay there; the hotel is charming and the staff is very helpful. Just a word of caution - there are two rooms on the ground floor that do not have airconditioning. Make sure you ask for a room on a higher floor.

The hotel is in a great area on the border between the 6th and 7th Arrondisements and most of the sights in the city center are easily walkable. Don't miss Ste. Chapelle, the Louvre and the Tuilleries, the Musee D'Orsay, the Eiffel Tower, the Musee Rodin and the Cluny, the Ile de la Cite and the Ile St. Louis. Be sure to see Notre Dame and climb the tower, walk through Luxembourg Gardens, have breakfast at the Cafe Bonaparte across from the St. Germaine des Pres. If you love gardens, visit Monet's Giverny on a day trip. Versailles and Chartres are also good day trips.

Our favorite bistro is within walking distance of your hotel - L'Epi Dupin. Right around the corner from your hotel is La Ferme Ste. Germaine, a nice restaurant that is open on Sunday when many are closed.

While it is not necessary to learn French, it is nice to speak some common words and phrases so you can greet people in French. I hope you love Paris and Happy Anniversary!
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 06:28 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I doubt you can learn much French between by August(!) but it is great to have a few pleasantries you can say (hello, goodbye, please, thank you, excuse me, & i'm sorry I don't speak French). but no it is not necessary to be fluent to enjoy Paris.

Get a good city map and do some walking tours on your own. Paris is quite easy to figure out. Make a plan over breakfast (i.e., take metro out to the Eiffle Tower, walk your way back thru the 7th, lunch on Rue Cler, pass the Arc de Triomphe, thru the Tuileries, stop for a glass of wine in a sidewalk cafe). That kind of day is what makes Paris special for me.

Enjoy!
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 06:37 AM
QC

"Do I need to learn French?"

Yes and no.

The people at your hotel and at restaurants frequented by tourists (like on the Rue Cler and around the Bastille) will likely speak fluent (or close to fluent) English.

Most other people will not, including workers on the Metro.

Signs will be multilingual at major tourist attractions like the Louvre and Eiffel Tower. They will be French-only at minor attractions.

Speaking and reading a little French will really enhance your visit- in part because you will know what is going on! It is a lot less frustrating to be able to read a sign about a train re-routing or a museum closing, to be able to read a menu on your own, or to ask directions on the street without undue hardship.

I <b> STRONGLY </b> recommend a copy of the Harpercollins Language Survival Guide - French, available on Amazon. It uses pictures to show common signs and their meanings, illustrates types of stores and how they work, explains customs, and has a comprehensive menu translator. Most importantly, it gives HOW to pronounce each word correctly. It's $10 and it gave me ALL the French I needed for a full week in Paris. It is one of the most valuable books I have ever bought.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 08:21 PM

Lunch on the rue Cler? It's easy to recognize the Rick Steves fans, as nobody else would even put the rue Cler on the list. There are hundreds of streets like it in Paris; it is nothing special (unless you want to meet other Americans who read Rick Steves books).
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 08:31 PM

If you have 10 days, do you fancy getting out of Paris for any of that time?

You might consider a day trip to visit one or more castles in the Loire Valley.

Also, I loved Giverny as a day trip.

Brugges is another idea.

When you finally decide to relax in Paris, I recommend Mariage Freres in the 6th for a nice place to relax and have a pot of tea.

Also, a new favorite is taking the Segway tour offered through Fat Tire Bike Tours. You will find a thread about Segways in Paris. Many of us rave about them!
Old Jul 9th, 2005, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all to those who replied. I will give a full report when i get back. ANy more suggestions?
Old Jul 9th, 2005, 06:34 AM

I have a long file on Paris, if you'd like to see it, email me at
[email protected]

In addition to ira's link to the Paris superthread (a treasure trove, if you take the time to use it) you can click at the top of this screen on Destinations and find lots of Fodors info on Paris.

I agree that with 10 days you might want to consider either a couple of daytrips, or 2-3 days in another area such as the Loire or Provence or Normandy. Might as well take advantage of summer weather by seeing some of the glories of the countryside.
Old Jul 9th, 2005, 06:50 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
AnthonyGA- That's a bit harsh. While Rick Steves is a fan of Rue Cler, I am not a fan of Rick Steves. Your assumption is mistaken. It happens that area is between Eiffle Tower on the way to Arc de Triomphe, so was a convenient street to stop for lunch, in the day's walk I was describing. No more no less. BTW I did not see any America tourist carrying Rick Steves guidebooks in the short time we were there.

And since there are &quot;hundreds of streets&quot; like it, why don't you actually make an alternate suggestion for the OP instead of making fun of mine?
Old Jul 9th, 2005, 06:57 AM
ira

Hi trix,

You might want to consider a Sunday morning walk through the Parc Monceau followed by brunch at the Jacquemart-Andre' museum.

After visiting the museum, walk over to the Arc de Triomphe and down the Champs Elysee to Place Concorde. You can go on to the Tulieries if you have time.

Old Jul 9th, 2005, 07:58 AM

See if the <i>Paris City Passport</i> fits with your travel plans.

<b>http://en.parisinfo.com/rub6763.html</b>

And don't overlook the <i>Mobilis</i> transport pass that's bundled with it.
Old Jul 9th, 2005, 08:06 AM

If you don't learn one other single word of French, learn this and use it <u>every time</u> you enter a store or begin to speak with someone (clerks, waiters, policemen, whatever):

<i>Bonjour/bonsoir, monsieur/madame/mademoiselle.</i>

And when you finish, always say

<i>Merci. Au revoir.</i>

This is considered essential courtesy by the French, and doing it will elevate you above the mass of visitors who don't bother.
Old Jul 9th, 2005, 08:09 AM

These are some of the places that I loved when we were there in June-

1. St. Sulpice Church in the 6th. It is so stunning and not as crowded as Notre Dame and St. Chappelle

2. Luxembourg Gardens- so beautiful and tranquil even with lots of people. My favorite gardens in Paris.

3.Check out some of the galleries like Gallerie Vivienne- I think it is in the 2nd? It is a covered area with shops, restaurants (Le Grande Colbert), bookstores. It is a really cool place to walk around. There are many other galleries or passages all over Paris.

4. Pick an area like the Marais, Montmartre, or the Latin Quarter and take a walking tour. I really enjoyed the Marais.
Old Jul 9th, 2005, 08:21 AM
MaureenB

I envy your long stay of 10 days! We were recently there for the first time, for four nights and it wasn't nearly enough time.

If you click on my screen name above, you will get my travel report for London-Paris-Amsterdam. It contains specifics on activities and restaurants we'd recommend in Paris. We are a family of four, so not looking for a romantic night at the Jules Verne, which you probably are. But we found an especially nice restaurant on the Ille Saint Louis. It's address is in my travel report.

Bon Voyage! You will love Paris.

Old Jul 9th, 2005, 08:57 AM

We just returned from over 5 weeks throughout Europe and I feel the best money I spent was on private guides. We used Michael Osman in Paris. Even if you only use him for 1 day, he will get you introduced to the city or museums--whatever you wish. He is American, so the language is no problem (we didn't find it a problem anyway). Any big city can be overwhelming at first and an orientation can be valuable.
Old Jul 9th, 2005, 10:17 AM

Bring some good walking shoes:

Notre Dame and Islands
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34454939

Latin Quarter
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34454229

St Germain and Shopping
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34454443

Marais, Shopping, Eating
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34454657

Right Bank, Shopping, Eating