1st solo trip - a short one

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2005, 02:14 AM
cpd
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st solo trip - a short one

Hello from Charleston.

Newly single (re-single) with children. I have a break sans kids around MLK day and can get freq. flyer tickets into Paris and Milan. Flying in Friday Morning - Out Tuesday Morning. Realize this is a very short break but you take what you can get. I have previously travelled to much of the Carribean, England and Scotland but never to unknown language land - and not alone although I have travelled solo domestically quite a bit. Which brings me to my question (finally) - For a first trip, primary intent a few sites (I don't intend to cram either place as I don't intend it be my only trip either place) and much shopping (yes I am that shallow) which destination? Opinions from ye with so many would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 03:18 AM

Well, here is a vote for Paris because it is a beautiful city that is very compact, walkable and incredibly well-served by its extensive metro system. In short, you don't have to know anything to begin enjoying it. (I will be hoping for you to have great weather, since I have to collect Mrs. Flyboy that Friday morning at CDG.)
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 03:26 AM
cpd
Original Poster

Well wishes are accepted - ulterior motives and all.

Thanks for your comments and for understanding the question which I wasn't all together certain I had made clear! I am looking for info on which would be more enjoyable (easier) for a first timer. Yes, I guess you could say I don't know anything - but boy am I excited about learning.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 03:31 AM

Paris is the ticket. Easily walkable, with a great metro system if you so choose. Sights are close to each other, good hotel choices, do a search for shopping in Paris (copy & paste the hundreds of GREAT ideas already posted). Best of luck! have a great time!
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 03:53 AM

Paris!

I just went solo for the first time to a place where I do not speak the language. I had a blast. Click on my name and you will find my report.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 04:40 AM

No matter what you seek (clothes, food and drink, art, architecture, peep shows, opera.....) Paris has it.

I cannot imagine any first-timer other than a professional fashion buyer who, when given these 2 choices, would choose Milan over Paris.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 04:45 AM
ira

Hi cp,

Paris, of course.

Enjoy your visit.

Learn how to say
Hello
Please
Thank you
Do you speak English, please?
Goodbye
How much?

Enjoy your visit.

Old Nov 11th, 2005, 05:47 AM
cpd
Original Poster

With all this consensus I am going to book the ticket (before it disappears) and let all you helpful people help other people!

Thanks to everyone and Ira the suggestion of please on the end of Do you speak english? is just the kind of softness this southerner would like to try and achieve in French. Thanks so much!
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 04:14 PM

Looks like you don't need it, but one more HUGE vote for Paris!! There's absolutely no competition. You'll love it. You only need to know a few basics regarding French, which are very easy to learn. You probably already know most of them.

And ALWAYS end any request with "s'il vous plait" and always say "merci", and "bonjour". They'll take you far.
All the guidebooks have basic vocabulary and phrases, with a pronunciation guide.

Have a super trip!
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 04:20 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Paris! It's wonderful, you can do most thing on foot. Being solo and with no French was not a problem in my limited experience.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 06:11 PM

Here's another vote from one who just took their 'first solo trip' to Paris. There is no better place in the world to go alone!

Ira has nailed it. Just learn a few of the basic phrases and you will be able to enjoy the best Paris has to offer.

I've only been home about four weeks and, believe me, I'm SO ready to go back! I envy anyone embarking on a trip to my favorite city in the world!

Enjoy, cpd!

Old Nov 13th, 2005, 10:26 AM
cpd
Original Poster

Just back in town after a quick trip to Atlanta. Glad to see more encouragement about the solo aspect. I booked my flights but spent part of the drive back from Atlanta worrying about the ALONE part. Part of being divorced for me is re-learing that I am a big girl now. Going to go snooping now thru the info all ready posted about Solos and Paris and oh geez - isnt't worrying about an upcoming trip the best problem to have!!!! Thanks again - cpd
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 10:52 AM

Cpg,
As one solo traveller to another go out tomorrow and buy a guide bood for Paris (I take it that is your destination?). Make a list of all the places and things YOU want to do (you have no one else to please!) and Paris is a wonderful city to be in whether alone or solo. When you go out to eat there will be lots of other solo's also and OOH that people watching.

Chin up and have a great time.

Helen
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 11:12 AM

cpd - let me offer words of encouragement. I flew alone to Paris (without any knowledge of the language beyond greetings) on a Monday. I arrived Tuesday, flew home on Friday. You can see & do so much traveling solo. I grabbed cheese, fruit, bread, & soft drinks for lunch each day. The metros are very easy to navigate. I took the bus from the airport to my hotel. Being alone was fine in such a large city. Armed with a map & travel info I enjoyed the Louvre, Musee d'orsay, Notre Dame, Sainte Chappelle (sp?), Napoleon's Tomb, Montmartre, shopping, shopping, shopping. You'll love it!
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 11:58 AM

Paris is one of my favorite places to travel solo, and I don't speak a lick of French. OK, I can say bon jour, bon soir, bon nuit, merci, s'il vous plait, and parlez-vous Anglaise?...for some reason my au revoir sounds terrible. But that's it. The rest of the time I have my French-English dictionary with me and I point to the word I want, OR do a little Pictionary action with people in order to communicate.

I find the people are warm & wonderful, and shopping is always good. The food is always good. And I, too, have hangups about dining solo but for some reason it's not a big deal there (not to mention it will probably be easier for you to get a seat if the place is crowded).

Most of all, I love Paris solo because the men there treat me better! Discounted crepes! Fun conversations! Chivalry! I went to Paris with my brother once and many people thought he was my husband since we don't look alike. I was depressed as hell for most of the trip because everyone treated me like I was invisible due to that assumption. I had to dump my brother for a day or so, just so I could roam the city by myself and enjoy the attention that only a single gal in Paris can get!

Have fun, and tell us how you like it when you get back!
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 01:00 PM

Hello to Charleston!!

I too vote for PARIS!

Last night I just returned from a week in Paris with my niece & 12 days in Venice on my own!!

Had a terrific time....Paris was as glorious as usual. Fun spending time with my niece!
AND Venice was divine. I absolutely loved going solo. It was wonderful reading til 2....leaving the windows open all night....setting my own pace... never having to be concerned about anyone but myself.
I wasn't worried about safety...or visiting museums on my own...BUT I was wondering how it would be having dinner solo.
It was so much fun....I never felt uncomfortable...in fact I had tremendous fun listening to all the surrounding conversations...all the languages....all the social idiosyncresies.
Would I do it again....YES!!

PS...I had two terrific meals with Fodorites...it was great fun!!

Old Nov 13th, 2005, 01:57 PM

Much as I love Milan, I would also vote for Paris in your circumstances & hope you got a great flight deal. There is just so much to do there in, as others have pointed out, a fairly compact area, and it is beautiful (I think) in all weather. Milan seems a bit more bleak in wet rainy raw winter...if that's the type weather you draw. Of course, you might get lucky with a bit of the decorative white stuff! In any case, have a terrific time!
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 06:21 PM
cpd
Original Poster

Even better news - able to get tickets into paris for five full days (plus two travel) in March! And able to re-arrange childcare. I have to wait longer to go but more time sweet time! Going now to post a hotel question. Thanks again to everyone
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 07:01 AM

Solo female traveller here too. Hello!
Paris is my choice. Are you in South Carolina? Charleston SC is one of my favorite US cities!
Oh the beautiful walks...oh the shopping...oh the food...oh the wine...I encountered nothing but nice people.
So? Where you going to stay?
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 07:26 AM

I visited Paris solo for the first time in July. Highly recommended.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -