Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

1st abroad - Customs & Anything else I should know.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister and I are going to London and Paris for the first time in May. We fly from Indiana to Canada then onto London. After a week in London we take the Eurostar to Paris. After Paris for a week we take the Eurostar back to London to catch our flight back to Canada then on home to Indiana. To my question! When do we go through customs and anyone know how much we can bring back? We are just bringing back gifts, souveniors, etc. I am so dense in this stuff and cannot find anything that just flat out tells me. I thank you for your time.
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 03:34 PM

considering that most of your questions are about entering the US, and don't pertain to europe, perhaps you should post this on the US forum.

the rules for entering the US are the same regardless of which continent you visit.
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

I posted it on the US Forum too. A lot told me to post it here too. Any information will be helpful. I have never traveled out of the US before, besides Canada.

Thank you.
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 03:39 PM

Americans can bring back $800 worth of items purchased abroad. You'll be given a landing card on the plane. Fill it out and present it when you pass through customs.

Can't help you as to when. It's usually the first American landing city but sometimes the port of entry is in Canada. You can call the airline and ask. But it's not a big deal. You'll find out on the plane from London to Canada if you have to claim your luggage and re-check it.

Here's the link to the US immigration and customs information.
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 03:39 PM

Here's the link.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 03:40 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
You can bring in $800.00 worth of purchses to the USA from abroad per person duty free.Keep you receipts. You'll fill out a form on your flight to hand in to US Customs. You'll go through passport control first.
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 03:40 PM

http://www.taxfreetravel.com/US%20Du...d%20Exemptions
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 03:42 PM

On the landing card you don't have to itemize every last post card and Eiffel Tower souvenir you bought. Just lump together the small items. I usually put misc souvenirs and the $amount.

This is not a big deal. You have to go through immigration and customs when you go from Canada to the US so you've done all this before. Don't worry about it.
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 03:44 PM

You will go through passport control (Immigration) each time you enter another country. Within Europe if you were to drive between countries there is no longer any border crossing checks, but when you fly you do need to show your passport, and I think the Eurostar is the same. But the only time you will really go through "customs" is when you re-enter Canada and the US. On the plane they will give you a form to fill out declaring what you are bringing back. I am pretty sure it's $800 per person. But you rarely ever have to show anyone the goods or receipts, you just hand them the form. Of course if you are planning to buy art or expensive jewelry it's a different story. But for the normal stuff people bring back you just estimate it's value on the form.
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all! You sure are a helpful bunch.
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Mez

Immigration on Eurostar services is at the point of departure. You can't miss it as you are herded through lines and your ticket, luggage and passport is checked within a few steps of each other. So, make sure you do not pack it away in a place not easily accessible.

The great thing is once you arrive at the destination, you just get off the train and you are on your way.

Have a great trip. You are visiting two of my favourite cities.
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Mez thank you! I was wondering about the Eurostar. I'm so excited to finally travel! If you have any suggestions please tell me!
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 05:09 PM

Also, since you're flying home to the US via Canada, you will clear US Passport Control and then Customs in Canada (Toronto, presumably) before catching your flight to the U.S. Then, once you arrive in the U.S., it will be like getting off a domestic flight - nothing to clear.

Also, don't lie. It's not worth it. I always declare everything, so I don't stress out about it, and I've almost never been asked to pay duty (even when we brought back 20 bottles of wine).

I put receipts for major items (anything more than about $20) into an envelope as I accumulate them, and have them available to show officials if there are any questions. I've rarely been asked to show receipts (only when spending about double the limit or more).
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 07:17 PM

I certainly agree with FOW. Tell the person at customs the truth, that is, unless you're bringing back Cuban cigars.

The last time I declared wine, the penalty was about $0.84 per bottle.

It's not worth the customs agent's time to assess such a small fee.

I've used the envelope trick for the past 30 years. Keeps you from searching for receipts.
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 07:21 PM

I just scanned the replies, so forgive me if I missed this, but you can't bring food or plants back into the U.S. My husband had an apple confiscated that he had carried from Ohio through three countries and back again in his backpack and had forgotten about it.
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 07:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"But the only time you will really go through "customs" is when you re-enter Canada and the US."

No, you go through customs when entering other countries as well. In the UK, for instance, you exit to the arrivals hall in the airport using the "nothing to declare" customs line (unless you HAVE something to declare!). It's just that hardly anyone gets pulled for checking - but I did see a couple of people having their bags gone through the last time I landed in London.
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 07:56 PM

No quite what you were asking, but be prepared for "airport-style" security before boarding the Eurostar train.

On bringing back food- I don't know the regulations for the US, but if they're like Canada's the restrictions are mostly on fresh or produce items (like MelJ's husband's apple). I think you should be okay if you wanted to bring back candy, chocolates, tea, and that sort of thing.

I don't think this really applies to you, but it's kind of funny and something to be aware of- when flying from Aberdeen to London, I had a couple of small rocks I'd collected on the beach confiscated, the reason being they were the property of Her Majesty the Queen. I always wondered what they did with them afterwards.
Old Mar 19th, 2012, 05:22 AM

If you buy a bottle of duty-free alcohol at the Paris airport and carry it into the plane, you could have a problem with security -- not Canadian Customs -- in Toronto. You will go through the airline's security when changing planes and could lose the bottle if you don't have a chance to put it in your checked luggage during the transfer. Best advice on whether this will be possible should come from your airline.
The whole Customs/Immigration situation in Toronto can be confusing the first time through. When you get off the plane in Toronto you technically are not in Canada. Transferring passengers stay in a secure area, so the officials you will face are administering US Customs/Immigration rules.
Old Mar 19th, 2012, 06:37 AM

And next time you plan a trip like this, fly home directly from Paris. Flying into one city and out of another is called an open-jaw or multi-city ticket; it should cost about the same as round trip. And you'll save the time and expense of the Eurostar return trip.
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

I should've come here a long time ago. You guys have given more information than I ever could've hoped for. Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -