16th arrondissement

Feb 25th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

16th arrondissement

We're looking at apartments in this area. Does anyone have experience staying near place victor hugo?
Feb 25th, 2005, 08:09 PM

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34548573

Hi
This is a thread about apt rentals in Paris. We looked at this apt that you are looking into, we looked at several with vrbo, but ended up going with parisperfect.com.
Maybe there will be some information on this thread to help you.
We tried for that duplex in the 16 that was really beautiful and was rented until summer!
Good luck~
Feb 25th, 2005, 08:18 PM

Hi Marciabb - we are staying at an apartment near Place Victor Hugo in May - so I can't tell you anything about that specific area yet but we have stayed in the 16th before (near Passy metro) - we loved the area and didn't find it far to hop on the metro to get to the rest of the city, if that was a concern.
Feb 25th, 2005, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Whiskey. Which apartment are you staying in? And Scarlett, thanks to you, too. I haven't seen the duplex eithere. If you both wouldn't mind, web sites with good apartments are always of interest. I've looked so much I'm getting groggy...
Feb 25th, 2005, 08:33 PM

Hi, I know what you mean, we spent about a week getting ideas and an intensive weekend, calling and emailing apt owners.
We ended up with Paris Perfect:
www.parisperfect.com

http://www.vrbo.com/21652
this apt was not available when we wanted it, but I really want to stay there some day the owner was great on the phone!

http://www.vrbo.com/43121
We changed our minds before taking this when we were able to get the apt in the 7th with paris perfect.

These are apts in the 7th, which we ended up preferring , in case you are open to other neighborhoods.

http://www.vrbo.com/24193
http://www.vrbo.com/31938

Enjoy the hunt and Good Luck!

Feb 25th, 2005, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

Scarlett,

Thanks so much for the VRBO numbers. It really helps. That duplex is really cool. I sent an inquiry. I've looked at so many agencies and parisperfect has been booked for my dates since I started looking. Now my eyes are spinning in my head so I'll see who replies and will start again tomorrow. I'm totally open to area, though. Just looking for a bright, cozy feeling apartment to come home to. Stayed in one near Blvde. St. Michel several years ago and am interested in perhaps a different area
Feb 25th, 2005, 09:00 PM

I hear you on the choices making your head spin. I actually drew up a spreadsheet for the apartments that I was interested in and their various pros and cons - yes, its very anal, I know

We settled on http://www.vrbo.com/36111 (21652 was our first choice too but it was also booked for our dates). vrbo.com (which I have used a number of times in the past and have been very pleased with) and parispefect were the 2 sites I liked the most. I think there are a number of threads here on paris rentals that you might find useful - I also thought a number of the places on chezvous.com looked quite nice as well (they all have floor plans you can see) but I have never used them so I have no idea how they are to deal with.
Feb 25th, 2005, 09:49 PM

Well, as long as we are talking vrbo....here is the one I rented for April. http://www.vrbo.com/33312
Looking forward to it. I love using vrbo...just rented a great looking place in Maui for a trip in October. I hope you find what you are looking for.
Feb 25th, 2005, 09:58 PM
Original Poster

thanks whiskey. It's so helpful to have actual numbers to go by. I contacted both of those owners so we'll see what happens...We're going to be there April 21-May 1 after going to a cooking school in Normandy. I'm getting excited and you and Scarlett have been really helpful.

Feb 25th, 2005, 10:49 PM
Original Poster

Kelbert,

That apartment looks great. Unfortunately it's booked for our dates. Hope you have a great time!
Feb 26th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all. After much review we settled on an apartment. YAY!!!

We chose VRBo # 55401. Great price, interesting seeming neighborhood, comfy looking bed with a window in the room. Small but cozy seeming. We're happy. Hope you all enjoy Paris and I'm sure we will too. I'm also the poster of normandic getaways or something like that. We decided to forego Normandy after our cooking school and come straight into Paris. It's going to be a blast.

Thanks again,
Marcia
Feb 26th, 2005, 02:02 PM

I love it! I know you will be happy, it is a lovely apt and that bed!
The neighborhood is supposed to be pretty wonderful, I bet you are excited!
Feb 26th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Scarlett,

We are SO excited. The people seem really nice and they've already told me the bed has a down comforter and american sheets that fit. (The last two times I've rented apartments the sheets have been itchy and didn't fit well and I really like sleeping well so I'm happy about this apartment), The people who own it say it is their home away from home in Paris and they just listed it with VRBO in November. They say the neighborhood has great boulangeries and bistros and little chops and that this is a residential non-touristy area. Can't wait! I did read your thread but can't remember where you ended up staying. I remember you were trying to choose between Les Halles and Passy and then did something entirely different but don't remember what...if you read this, and want to, I'd love to hear where you're staying, for how long, and what you plan on doing while in Paris.
Feb 26th, 2005, 05:36 PM

Marciabb the apartment looks fabulous - it would be a great place for anyone interested in catching the French Open (which we are hoping to do when we are in Paris) given the proximity to Roland Garros. One of the things we loved about the 16th arr was the residential feel - there is great shopping on rue de Passy - you will love it I am sure. Please do tell us about your trip when you get back - I'd love to hear about the cooking school as well - which one are you going to, if you don't mind sharing?
Feb 26th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Whiskey, we are going to L'Aufragere, in Fourmetot, Normandy. My husband went last year with his sister. They both love to cook. I don't, but maybe after 5 days there I will? They do all sorts of stuff with fresh Normandy foods straight out of their garden and off of their farm. We might visit a calvados distillery. He did that last year. And yes, I do think this apartment looks great and as I said earlier, the people sound really nice...when are you going? I haven't followed these threading things all that well so am not sure but it sounds like about three weeks after us if you're going to be there for the open. Are you staying in the 16th as well??/ I'm sure we're going to have a great time! 27 years of marriage is something to cut loose about!!!

Feb 26th, 2005, 07:52 PM

Hi
We took one of the parisperfect apartments. We will be there very soon! It has a view of the Eiffel Tower
But I still want to try out that duplex in the 16th!
Feb 26th, 2005, 08:09 PM

Hi Just to let you know that I have 2 friends that live right at Victor Hugo and you should really enjoy it. It is a very upscale area, very family oriented and great walking and over to Etoile, Trocadero, etc.

There is a wonderful chocolate store right on the place and a Haagen daz

Also, there is a wonderful Lebanese restaurant that has both an sitdown restaurant and a take out deli called Al Dar right off the place. I just mentioned their sister restaurant in the 5th to somebody else. I swear I am not employed there. We just used to eat there a lot and bring home carry out!

Al Dar Restaurant
93 av Raymond Poincaré 75116 PARIS 01 45 00 96 64

jpie
Feb 27th, 2005, 07:20 AM

Marciabb - perhaps you can be the official taste tester at L'Aufragere! We are staying in the 16th as well and will be in Paris for just over a week during the 1st week of June.

Jpie, great restaurant suggestion - do you know the name of the chocolate shop - I know there is a Maison du Chocolat just off Place Victor Hugo, I think maybe on the same street as Al Dar?
Feb 27th, 2005, 10:25 AM

Maison du Chocolate and Hermés are the best IMHO. There's a piece on the 16th in today's NY Times.
Feb 27th, 2005, 10:59 AM

Sorry not the 16th, the ninth. but one quote was from a former resident who called the 16th a tomb and lived there thirty years and didn't know his neighbors but he's now content in the ninth.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO