Search

14 days in Portugal - Itinerary Check??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
14 days in Portugal - Itinerary Check??

Hello Fodorites!

Thank you in advance for what I know will be expert advice and sp appreciated! I love and rely on this forum for 'in the know' advice - thank you.

After a large amount of reading, below is the itinerary I have come up with for 4 active adults and the types of experiences we are looking forward to.....suggestions and revisions are welcome if I am missing or undercalculating any time spent in a place.

We love getting to know a place like a local, getting off the beaten path, hitting the highpoints of sightseeing, incorporating outdoor and adventure travel and we are very interested in the culinary culture of a place.

Trip = right around the corner! April 3rd - 17th, 2013

(4th) 8:30 am arrive lisbon. Immediate xfer to Ritz-Carlton Penha Longa (business trip). Explore resort, possible golf/spa and see town of Sintra.
(5th) Explore Caiscais, Estoril, Guincho....bike between Caiscais and Guincho
(6th) 1/2 day morning tour in Lisbon with "We Hate Tourism Travel" or possibly a Sidecar tour....thoughts on these? Back to Sintra for Pena Palace and Quinta de Regaliera in afternoon
(7th) Checkout and head to Lisbon for the afternoon...museums in the afternoon (possibilities include Coach, Maritme, Gulbenkian, Oceanarium)
(8th) More Lisbon exploring (possibly by E-bike?). Belem, Alfama, Dinner and Fado club at night
(9th) Early A.M. bike tour with PortugalBike (?) in Sesimbra and through Arrabida Park. Back to Lisbon to pick up car rental (unless we can pick up in Setubal?), head to Evora/Arraiolos/Estremoz area....still need to decide which one to base out of in a Pousada.
(10th) Explore Evora and surrounding cities. Incorporate biking and the Rota do Vinhos
(11th) More of the same......Visit Elvas and Marvao
(12th) Hike, bike, explore the Schist Villages and Lousa mountains. Stay here or drive to Lamego to overnight?
(13th) Explore the sanctuary of nossa senhora dos remédios in Lamego. Head to Porto and do wine lodges for lunch and afternoon. Stay in Porto.
(14th) Train ride into Douro Valley and boat ride back....which cruise line is best?
(15th) Guimaraes and Braga or head south via Aveiro and Coimbra towards Nazare?
(16th) Nazare and Obidos and Alcobaca. Hang glide in Nazare. Stay overnight here or in Lisbon?
(17th) 10:30 am flight back to the US

What do you think?? This country looks so amazing - I already know I will be back and I haven't even gotten there yet!

I have left off the Algarve for now (mistake?)

Thank you so much in advance for your expert guidance. I plan to repay the favor!

Warmly, Anastasia
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 09:47 PM

Seeing as how nearly every place you are going has a pousada in the town or nearby I hope you will explore the possibility of staying in one or more. Right now there are some extra special promotions and you will be happy to indulge yourself with this kind of accom.
Don't try to crowd in the Algarve this trip and right you are you will be back!!!
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 09:52 PM

How did we get 2 of the same posts here??? Looks like something I would do LOL!!!
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

thank you amer_can! I think the website was having difficulties yesterday and it deleted my post.....so I re-typed everything (ugh!) only to find that it had posted it afterall....now I can't figure out how to delete one of them.

Yes, defniitely planning on staying in pousadas and quintas wheverever we go....while in Porto and Lisbon, we might sneak some Marriotts in since I a Ritz-Carlton employee and get a very nice discount....but something more unique and indicative of the area is more what we are interested in typically.

Looking at the weather forecast, it seems like rainy and highs in the mid-60's...not really sure how to pack for all possibilities with that forecast!
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 06:16 AM

Re: We Hate tours. I know someone who did another one of their tours - the x-day tour, she liked it and I saw the pics -- covered a lot of ground - I like the small size group. I see the Lisbon tour is only 7 people. I have it bookmarked for myself if I go back to Portugal, need to get back and see Porto.
Old Apr 15th, 2013, 12:50 AM

You thinking about going to Serra do Buçaco? It's very beautiful.
Old Apr 15th, 2013, 11:00 AM

If you go to Serra do Bussaca..check out the 5* hotel Palace do Bussaco..
What a delight it ws to stay there!! Interesting history in that area also..