Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

14 days in France....second time...six cities...is that too many?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 1999, 05:11 PM
Andria

Here's my itinerary: I am travelling with my fiance, (I think), and we want to spend appx. $50 a night on hotels. I should also mention that I have spent 3 months studying abroad in Tours. I went to Paris 3 different weekends while I was there and I missed the Louvre each time, so I would like to do that and Versaille. Then to Annecy for 2 nights. I wanted to do Strasbourg, but I had to cut back somewhere. Avignon for 2 nights, then 3 nights in and around Nice. Then 2 nights in Bordeaux and 2 nights in Tours. Tours is a must because I have to visit my host family and friends. Is this too much? I want to see a lot, but I don't want to wear out my fiance. I speak french fluently and he doesn't. I want to take in the scenery, speak as much french as possible, eat a good two weeks worth of goat cheese, and explore. I really don't want to spend the whole time on the train. By the way, I'm going to buy a six day France Rail Pass. We may splurge on a taxi ride here and there, but I would like to stick to my budget. Also, we're both in our early 20's. Any suggestions, from hotels to changing my intinerary would be very much appreciated.

Old Jun 9th, 1999, 08:39 PM
Donna

Well, if you're the sort who likes to breeze through places and on to the next, go for it! It's generally best to go with your instincts. Others prefer to "live" in a place for a while. On the other hand, often it's not possible to know until you get there which places can be done in a day and which are better enjoyed over several days. Does your fiance move at the same speed? Often it's difficult to determine this from a man, even if you ask (my husband, blessedly, just tags along with me, although sometimes I have to wait for him to catch up - but, he never complains!). If he does have a preference, however, you'll want to consider his wishes.

Old Jun 10th, 1999, 12:11 PM
Cheryl Z.

<BR>Hi Andria - your post made me smile! When I go to Europe, I want to squeeze in two weeks worth of gorgonzola!! Re your intinerary - it's not "too" much, depending on what you do along the way, your interests (not to mention your fiance's) etc. At least two nights is a good rule of thumb for two weeks seeing multiple places I think. And because you're fluent in the language and have been there before, I don't think the trip would be as tiring for you as it would for others. Have a great time!

Old Jun 10th, 1999, 12:16 PM
cheryl

Personally, I would never be able to leave Paris after just two days, but since you seem ok with that itinerary, go for it. As you've been to Paris before, I'm sure you know that $50 is a little low for the city. <BR> <BR>By the way, do you think you are going with your fiance, or do you think he is your fiance? I loved the "I think" in your sentence!

Old Jun 10th, 1999, 12:32 PM
Andria

He is my fiance, i think he's coming with me. I really would prefer to travel with people like myself. he doesnt have the travel bug like the rest of us and he's an accountant. i know paris is more than $50 a night, but if i go with him i'll stay at Champ du Mars in the 7th. I actually should be in Paris for the summer working with my two friends at the hard rock cafe, but i stayed home. i know i know, im a moron. There are so many place i want to see, so little time. Thanks for your advice. Those sandwich fromage de chevre are IMPOSSIBLE to find in the US. Maybe I could try NYC for some St. Maure. What do you think?

Old Jun 10th, 1999, 10:20 PM
Martha B

If you like to move, fine-- but does it have to be cities? We just stayed at a nice place near-- not in-- Bordeaux for 350 FF a night. It was in Pyla-sur-Mer, near the sand dune, with an ocean view. I'd prefer it to Bordeaux at any price. Traveling by train, you could spend time in smaller towns in West and Southwest France, have at least a chance of getting a room for $50 a night, see a lot of beautiful places, and not spend your entire trip on the train. If this interests you, check out the Michelin Green Guides for destinations, and the Routard Guides for cheaper accommodations. Bon voyage!

Old Jun 11th, 1999, 03:18 AM
Andria

I'm actually going to Bordeaux for mostly wine tasting. So I plan to use it as a base for going to St. Emilion or other regions. I never really considered any of those places "big cities", but I stick to them because the TGV goes to them and then I will go from there. Out of all the areas in the alps, it seems to me that Annecy is the most charming and I would like to stay on the lake. I will probably stay in Menton, not Nice. I definitely don't consider Avignon a city, but that's just me. I'm really just in the preliminary stages of planning, so the further along I go the more I'll learn about those cute little cheap hotels around each town.

Old Jun 11th, 1999, 06:48 AM
mwg

Your plans are basically fine. They do stretch things a bit but, if that's your taste, that's OK. My only comment is that goinf from Nice to Bordeaux is like going from one end of France to the other and, without my SNCF map, I don't know what the connections would be. I'm a big fan of Nice (having been an exchange student there for 1 year. However, if you want a sunny beach experience, have you thought of a beach area closer to Bordeaux. There are many fantastic places along the Atlantic Coast. However, if you opt to stay with your Nice plans, I'm sure that will go well too.

Old Jun 11th, 1999, 11:48 AM
Andria

You're right, the beaches on the atlantic are nicer, and i would like to go somewhere around biarritz, but i've never seen the mediterranean and i think it's just one of those things you have to see once. maybe i'll add the atlantic coast and stay for three weeks.

Old Jun 11th, 1999, 01:11 PM
Martha B

It seems my suggestion was unnecessary-- St. Emilion and Menton are exactly the kinds of places I was thinking of! Sounds like a great trip.