Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

13 nights in Ireland... HELP.. should I go North or South??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been pouring over guidebooks and reseaching online for several weeks now, and have come up with 2 potential itineraries (one headed north, one headed south), but keep flip-flopping between them. I have read itineraries that recommend doing the whole coastal circuit in two weeks, but that just seems like it would be WAY to much time spent sitting in the car, and not much time actually being anywhere long enought to really experience it.

We will be travelling from July 19th (arriving Dublin at 6pm) to August 1st (departing from Shannon at 2pm.

Option# 1
2 nights Dublin, day tour to Newgrange
2 nights Kilkenny, stop in Cashel on way to Kenmare
2 nights Kenmare, Beara, maybe ROK
3 nights Galway, w/ side trips to Connemara & the Arans
3 nights Dingle, going through the Burren on the way from Galway
1 night Bunratty
(I put Galway in between Kenmare and Dingle as it is Race Weekend in Galway, so the hotels are astronomical! I am hoping that I can get a cheaper rate (and that it will be less crowded) if we are there Weds thru Friday, insted of Friday-Monday

OR, should we head North?? (The reason this appeals to me is that it seems as though this area is less crowded/touristy, and Dongegal looks so amazing and unspoiled!!)

OPTION#2
2 nights Dublin, w/ day tour to Newgrange
2 nights Portrush (Antrim Coast, Giants Causeway)
1 (or 2?) nights Ramelton or Donegal Town
2 nights Sligo
3 nights Galway (or better to stay in Westport or Clifden, w/ side trips to Connemara, Aran Islands
2 nights Dingle
1 night Bunratty

Any thoughts appreciated!
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 10:20 AM

If you go south, after your stay in Kenmare, your next stop should be Dingle as you are so close. When you leave Dingle, you can tour the Burren on your way to Galway. Take a look at the map and you'll see what I mean. Good luck.
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Chatham, that makes sense. Instead of staying in Galway, we could head straight to Clifden from Dingle (if we go South).

If we go North, would this plan make more sense than the plan I originally posted?

Dublin, 1 night
Portrush, 2 nights
Donegal, 3 nights
Clifden, 3 nights,
Dingle, 3 nights
Bunratty, 1 night

This seems like perhaps it would give us good bases to travel/day trip out, with less hotel hopping.
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 04:30 PM

Maricat,

I can't help you about the north. I've been up to Newry from the east coast and on the west coast just up to Leenaan. I'm sure you'll have many posts tomorrow.

Good Luck, Joan
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 02:02 AM

It really depends on what you like doing and what kind of a holiday you want.

Ordinarily I'd say go south, as I think the sights you mention in Option#1 are culturally richer IMHO. Good choice to go to Newgrange in any case. But in peak season, I think it'll be quieter going North. From Sligo, you can go to the Ceide Fields. Suggest the Bushmills Inn instead of Portrush.

My last advice would be to hire a good-sized car. Don't go for the bottom of the range Micra/ Hyundai Getz cheapie car as it'll just tire you out and make your journey feel longer than it is.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I love seeing historic/cultural sites, but also prefer to get off the beaten path and can't stand trying to look at something whilst being josteled by hundreds of others trying to do the same.

What about this route?

2 nights in Dublin, w/ day tour to Newgrange, Hill of Tara, and the Boyne Valley
2 nights in Portrush, Giants Causeway & Antrim Coast (I looked at the Bushmills Inn, and it looks gorgeous, but is sadly out of our budget!)
2 nights in Donegal Co.(have not decided where to stay yet, but would like to see the Inishowen Peninsula)
1 night in Sligo, Ceide Fields
2 nights Galway, w/ side trips to Aran Islands & Connemara
3 nights Dingle, w/ side trip to the ROK
1 night Bunratty
Fly home from Shannon

Is this reasonable, or does it seem like we are trying to see to much and will feel rushed?
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 02:15 PM

Since you don't like crowds...go NORTH! I would spend much more time in Northern Ireland. At least a week, if not more, in different areas. It is a fantastic place to visit with many fewer tourists than you will find in Ireland's south west.

If you were going at a different time than July you could enjoy the southern parts of Ireland without the crowds. Take the realities you have and make the most of them.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 02:30 PM

Mari,

First off,as you are traveling at the height of tourist season, you will run in to crowds most everywhere. Thta being said, the North is certainly less traversed so it might make for a better choice.

If you go North, consider staying at Crockatinney Guesthouse, http://crockatinney.ndo.co.uk/. It is a great location for the Giant's Causeway. The views are fantastic, on a clear day, you can see to Scotland. It has a famine graveyard within easy walking distance. KinbahnCastle ruins is also within easy reach.

You might reconsider Galway, as the Arts Festival runs from July 16 through the 29th and it will be a zoo. Perhaps you could stay in Spiddal instead and drive in to Galway? There is a great little B&B there, Cois na Tra, http://www.coisnatra.com/. This would put you closer to the Ferry at Rossaveal for a day tour to Inis Mor. They will also book you on one of the Connemara tours, should you wish, there at Cois na Tra.

Galway to Dingle will be a long drive, you can break it up with a drive through the Burren, lunch in Doolin, a stop at the Cliffs, perhaps even staying overnight in Doolin or Ennis. Also , look at taking the Killmer/Tarbert Ferry, www.shannonferries.com, to cut off some driving time and give you a chance to stretch in between Co. Galway and Dingle.

In Co. Donegal, you might check in to staying at Ocean View House, http://www.oceanviewhouse.info/, in Donegal Town.

Whilst in Co. Donegal, I hope you will make time for the Slieve League Cliffs, which offer, IMHO, a more rugged beauty than Cliffs of Moher.

I hope that this helps, some. Enjoy your adventure!

Slan Agus Beannacht,

Bit Devine
Cowboy Craic

Old Mar 12th, 2007, 02:41 PM

Woops! FYI, Ocean View is located in Kilcar outside Killybegs not Donegal town.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 02:45 PM

Go North! Plan at least a week on the I. Peninsula and Donegal County. The walks are outstanding along Sheeps Head. Castleveigh (sp) is a much different country setting, travel along a coastal road and find the weavers plying their craft. Find Aradara and enjoy an evening of music with young and old in the pubs. Go North, it was the best part of our 3 weeks in Ireland. We were there for 10 days and would go again and stay longer if opportunity allowed.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks for the great replies! I will definitely look into those suggestions for places to stay, and since it looks like Sligo is only about a 45 minute drive from Donegal Town, I think I will skip spending the night there and just stay in Donegal, so that would give us three nights in that area.

Looks like we could easily see the Ceide Fields on our way down to Galway.

I have already booked a room at the Travelodge in Galway for the 26-27th, but could cancel that as well if it would be better to just either stay up North for a few extra days or the recommendation of staying in Spiddal looks like a good one. We definitely do want to see the Connemara and get out to one of the Arans.

I chose Bunratty as it is close to Shannon airport, and we really would prefer not to have a 3-1/2hr ride to the airport on Aug. 1st. What other (less touristy) stop should we consider (hopefully not more than an hour or hour and half away from Shannon?)

Thanks again!!
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 08:57 PM

Maricat,
North of course, but I would reconsider a couple of things. I'd spend more time in Donegal and not go down to Dingle on this trip. Donegal is spectacular.

I'd not stay in Galway, but would stay in Westport. Galway is crowded, a bit of a party town, Westport has no end of great, fun pubs with music but it's...I don't know, better somehow. And surrounded by amazing scenery.

We've been to Sligo and to Ceide Fields. We much preferred Carrowmore to Ceide Fields and it's not out of the way at all. The passage tombs at Carrowmore were quite interesting. I wouldn't stay over at Sligo, especially if it takes a night away from Donegal.

We spent 2 weeks in Donegal (one week a year, two years in a row.) We liked SE Donegal better than Inishowen. The cliffs at Slieve League are beautiful and St. John's Point and then Glengesh Pass are memorable. I agree that staying in Kilcar would be wonderful. That said, if you skip Dingle and spend more time in Donegal you can see all of it, avoid the crowds and spend more time in pubs! That would be a choice you wouldn't regret.

We did love visiting Derry! We also really liked Glenveagh National Park and went there twice.

If you stay in Westport consider visiting Achill Island or Clare Island. I prefer the latter as you ride a boat to get there, there are almost no cars and you can still see the rows from the old potato plots.
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 03:51 PM

OK, more opinions:

I'm with Bit on both Crockatinney and Ocean View. Ocean View though is not in Donegal town but actually a couple miles west of Killybegs. Both have outstanding views. I've not stayed at Ocean View but I have chatted with the owner and had rooms reserved before my plans changed. I've heard nothing but good though and Michele Ervig has them on her list.

Donegal is beautiful and you could easily spend a week there but you could easily do that in a lot of places. It will be much less crowded than other sections of the country at that time of year. Inishowen is beautiful and the ride out to Fnad Head is great. You might consider something adventurous like pony trekking in Dunfanghy which is wonderful fun though may require some pain killer after. It would be hard to find coastline in Donegal that is not spectacular and remote. We self catered on Cruit Island one year and it was fantastic. Leo's pub near Gweedore is owned by Leo (really?), the father of the Clannad folks and Enya.

I've not stayed in Sligo but I would go towrads Westport also. South of Sligo is Carrowkeel which is in the middle of nowhere and very impresive. I can get you the directions. Westport is another great music town.

Consider Ennis instead of Bunratty. I had never stayed there until this year and now I much prefer it to Bunratty in that it is a real town as opposed to a B&B village with a couple of somewhat intersting tourist venues. Good trad music in Ennis.

Going to Dingle is up to you. I agree that it is out of the way and there certainly other places that could act as a substitute. Personally, with your schedule, I would probably leave it off.

Hope this helps.

Bill
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 04:15 PM

Bill,
I would be very interested in your directions to Carrowkeel. We plan on stopping on our way from Westport to Sligo in April and I have found a few references on getting to it that basically tell me it is just outside of Castlebaldwin on the road to Ballymote. If yours are more precise, that would be much appreciated!

Maricat- Thanks for letting me quickly jump in. I have not replied to your post here as our 1st visit was s.east to s.west and this April visit is s.west to N.West and a 3rd visit is in the works to complete the circle next year- then I will be much more well versed!
Dawn
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 04:27 PM

I think you could do the North itinerary and still see quite alot of the west. Our trip was a few years ago but we started from Shannon, did three nights in Clifden (at Ballynahinch), 1 night near Doolin (at Ballinalacken) and 2 nights in Dingle (at The Shores). We headed south from there but I think you could finish your trip with a stay as suggested in Bunratty or Ennis. We had a wonderful time and really enoyed ourselves.
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 06:31 PM

Dawn --

Check out these links, for Carrowkeel:

http://www.megalithicireland.com/Carrowkeel%20home.htm
http://www.sacredsites.com/europe/ir...arrowkeel.html

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...37718769752649

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.c...000&icon=x

Local maps are available, closer in -- the Iourist Information Offices in Westport or Ballina, for example, SHOULD have them.

Bob
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 06:35 PM

This page is probably a better map/indication:

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.c...000&icon=x

Bob
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Again, thanks everyone! I posted on a few other message boards, and your replies here have been by far the most helpful!

I keep flip flopping back and forth on whether to go to Dingle, but for some reason that is the place that I originally felt most drawn to when starting to read up on destinations.

What about something like this?

2 nights Dublin, day tour to Newgrange
2 nights Portrush (or would Derry be better?) for Giants Causeway/Antrim Coast
4 nights Donegal (better to stay in one town and day trip out, or to pick 1-2 nights near Inishowen and then the remainder near Killybegs or Donegal Town?)
2 nights Westport
2 nights Dingle
1 night Ennis

If I were to take out Dingle, would it be better to add those 2 nights to Donegal or Westport, or maybe stay in Clifden for those 2 nights? Or, should I take a night off of Portrush and add that to Donegal? How much time is needed for the Giants Causeway/Antrim Coast?

Thanks
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Hi Bill,

I forgot to ask, what other places do you feel would be a substitute for Dingle?

Mari
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 08:54 PM

Hi Maricat,
I think the trip is sounding lovely. We spent a day at the Giant's Causeway and that was sufficient. It was lovely. I think 2 days total for Antrim coast and the Causeway would be great and I would stay in Portrush. Derry is a little far. But it is a nice stop on your way to Donegal.

In Donegal I think 2 days near Letterkenney somewhere and then 2 in the SW of Donegal. We rented cottages so I have no recommendations of B&B's but I did think the area around Killybegs looked beautiful.

When I said Carrowmore before I think I meant Carrowkeel - what Bill said. Wonderful place. They do a guided tour and it's fascinating to learn about the passage tombs and cairns.

If you decide not to trek down to Dingle, I'd add the time to either Donegal or Westport. We spent a week in Westport and loved it. Two weeks in Donegal and loved it. There are wonderful day trips from Westport and the music and pubs are endlessly fun. It was our favorite town in Ireland.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -