Reload this Page >

13 Days on our own-BUS ? TRAIN?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 03:08 PM
Mary D.

My sister & I are traveling June 1st to Dublin and out of Shannon. She has never been to Ireland, and I have been there 4x but have never driven a car myself. I'm thinking we could buy a train/bus pass (8 days) and am trying to find B&Bs in all the cities she wants to visit somewhere VERY CLOSE to the bus and/or train route. Is this reasonable to expect?

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 05:34 PM
Danna

Mary... My husband and I took the bus throughout Scotland, Northern Ireland and Ireland. It is very doable, we loved it. The bus affordable, accesible and very fun! I don't know if a train/bus pass is needed. The train system is more limited. <BR>There is a thread "Britian without a car.." where someone posts some very good websites! Have a Grand Time!

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 02:05 PM
Cathy

Mary <BR> <BR>Check out www.cie.ie for links to the bus and train web sites - the train network is not that extensive or of great quality in general in comparsion to the bus network, <BR> <BR>Hope this helps, <BR> <BR>Cathy

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 10:19 AM
ann

We also are planning on using the bus and rail network to get around Ireland when we visit this fall. Based on comments on this site (especially Cathy's), I'm intending to make the most use of the bus, but just how bad is the train? Worse than Amtrak (regular coach service, not Metroliner)? I was mainly thinking of using the train to go from Cork to Dublin and between Cork and Cobh, as the schedule between those cities seems convenient.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 12:19 PM
Milo

The trains to outer areas tend to be in older condition and tend to run late. The other problem is that to get from cork to galway you have to go back to dublin. Thats why people tend to use the buses. For the line your talking about you wouldn't have a problem.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 03:23 PM
Cathy

Cork to Dublin no problem, try local bus service for Cobh route. Trains in Ireland are a 100 times worse than Metroliners and AMTRACK. Having recently experienced an AMTRACK journey it was like first class in comparsion to the 1st Irish Rail, Economy on Irish Rail is worse than a cattle wagon at times - some routes are bearable eg Cork and Belfast. Avoid the Sligo route as the trains are running slower now than they were 100 years ago and passengers were at one stage advised to bring their own blankets to keep warm as there was no heating on the Sligo train. Stick to the buses, better service and better travel (see the Rambler tickets) <BR> <BR>Cathy