12 days in Iceland

Search

12 days in Iceland

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2023, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12 days in Iceland

We are looking at a first time approx. 12 day trip to Iceland (including flying days). I am torn between the Ring Road which feels like we would see more but be doing a lot of driving vs a southern coast tour which would be more relaxed but limited. I have looked at some threads and am getting some mixed reviews. We want to see as much as we can but want to have some time to enjoy what we are seeing vs just checking off the boxes. I looked a bit at going partway around the ring road but feels like that is a lot of backtracking--but perhaps not. We aren't likely to get back to Iceland so that is a consideration too . We are in our 60's --like easy to moderate hiking and the spas and hot springs sound wonderful. There is a chance we could add a day or two but not certain. What is a reasonable amount of time to do the ring road? Any feedback would be helpful.
Old Oct 7th, 2023, 08:28 PM

I had my first trip to Iceland 5 years ago, it was the circle trip. We made it in seven days, but it was very tight, and we had two drivers. Of course we missed many things, although we also saw a lot!
Even with two drivers, now I would go for at least 10 days, but to feel more comfortable two weeks would be much better. With one driver - two weeks, no question.
This is my slideshow about that trip:
Old Oct 7th, 2023, 08:33 PM

This year I went to Iceland again. Now we visited only Western part of the country. Again, only seven days, but managed to see a lot too. A bit less driving, however, also quite tight. 10 days would be more comfortable. Although in Iceland you can always expand your program to any number of days.
The slideshow of this year trip:
Old Oct 7th, 2023, 11:32 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
We visited Iceland in 2017 and drove the Ring Road - we're generally slow travelers, so it felt a bit rushed for us, but it gave us a decent taste. My trip report is here, which may or may not be of help:

It’s Thursday, it must be Seyðisfjörður. A 10 day Iceland road trip

You'll find the Trip Advisor Iceland forum much more active than here on Fodor's - there are many repeat visitors over there who can no doubt help you quite a lot.