12 day driving itinerary paris-dijon-lyon-nice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2010, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am planning a girls trip to France for next summer (July 1-15) and I am thinking of arriving in Paris and departing from Nice I have been to both Paris and Nice but would like to drive/train to Dijon- Lyon etc. I am open to suggestions and help. I also have been told maybe its better to take the train and rent a car for only part of the trip.Thanks for any help.
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 05:25 PM

Nice around mid July could be quite hectic. Also, you want to stay off the freeways going south from Paris on Fri, Sat, & Sundays of that period unless you want to be in 10 mile toll booth back-ups at around 3-4 spots along the way. I STRONGLY recommend that you start in Nice & then head north to avoid the crowds in Nice and the clogged roads heading south from northern cities in Europe.

I'm busy getting ready for my Sept trip to Europe next week or I would give you lots & lots of specific suggestions of things to do & see along the way. I would also head into the Alps between Lyon & Provence - the Rhone River region between those two areas is not that scenic.

I case I have time over the next few days - do you want to do 2 nights here, 2 nights there, 1 night at the next place, 2 nights at another, 3 nights somewhere else, and 3 nights in Nice.
OR
5 days in Burgundy at 1 location, 5 nights in Provence, and 5 nights in Nice???

Stu Dudley
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

I would prefer 2 nights Paris,7 nights between Dijon, Lyon,and Provence and to get to Nice and 5 nights Nice (Riviera). I would prefer to drop a place rather than have to pack up every other day! Thanks for your suggestions
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 08:19 PM

If you drive (or this could be a reason for driving), make small detours to get to famous places that are fantastic and not reachable by train:
Vézelay (www.vezelaytourisme.com/sommaire_ang.htm),
Le Puy-en-Velay (www.ot-lepuyenvelay.fr), and
Tournus (which can be reached by train via Châlon-sur-Saone, website is www.tourisme.fr/office-de-tourisme/tournus.htm).

There are others once you have a car, of course.