Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

110 elec. in 5 star hotels (Rome & Barcelona)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 1997, 01:32 PM
Marcie

Leaving in 2 days for Rome and Barcelona. We'll be spending a couple days at Bernini Bristol in Rome; and then at Claris in Barcelona (both are suppose to be 5 star hotels) Will they have 110 elec. in room so I can bring my curling iron? Thanks! Marcie

Old Sep 30th, 1997, 02:17 PM
gaetano franzini

definitely 220 volts in italy,and 220 in spain
bring an adapter

Old Sep 30th, 1997, 06:52 PM
Lynn

We just returned from Rome and stayed at the Sheraton Roma which was at least a 4-star hotel. The electric was 110 and I could not use my curling brush. It was my understanding that they would have given us an adaptor if we asked, but we didn't. The hotel also had a built-in blow dryer, also, which seemed to blow at about 600 watts and took forever to dry my hair.

Old Sep 30th, 1997, 09:03 PM
Tricia

Let me tell you of my adventures with my curling iron in Europe. I had it plugged in to my adapter and was curling away when I noticed a strange smell. Then it dawned on me what I was smelling- it was my hair turning into little crisy fries. Even with the adaptor the voltage difference made my iron too hot.Both my curling iron and hair dryer died shortly after I returned home. The best advice I can give you is what I read in this forum- buy a cheap iron and hair dryer upon arrival in Europe. You'll be glad you did.

Old Nov 25th, 2001, 12:46 PM
chris

does anyone know of a website that you can purchase italian curling irons/hairdryers ahead of time? i hate the idea of having to search for one as soon as i get there.

Old Nov 25th, 2001, 12:55 PM
Patrick

I don't know about curling irons, but buy a dual voltage hair dryer at any Walmart or Kmart. They run about $18 or less and work with a simple turn of a switch both in Europe and the US. You'll still need a plug converter, but not a voltage converter. I'd be surprised if curling irons aren't also available that way.

Old Nov 25th, 2001, 01:03 PM
JOdy

Conair makes a dual voltage curling iron and it is automatic, you don't even have to turn a switch. You do need a plug adapter though, buy a set it will be marked by country so you'll know which to take. About $15.00 anywhere curling irons are sold. I've used mine all over europe with no problems

Old Nov 25th, 2001, 01:20 PM
chris

i was wondering if anyone knew of a website to buy an italian hairdryer ahead of time so i'm not having to look for one when i get there. i'm not looking for a dual hairdryer since everyone on this forum says that they either get too hot or are too weak when used in europe. thanks.

Old Nov 25th, 2001, 01:33 PM
kmarie

You might also look into purchasing a cordless curling iron for your travels. No converter. No plug. Last time I asked (domestic travel, after 9/11), it was okay to bring the fuel cartridge in my carry-on.<BR><BR>If your hotels are 3-star or more, they may have hair dryers.

Old Nov 25th, 2001, 01:49 PM
Walter

Some hotels will have a 110V outlet in the bathroom. But I have *heard* this is only for low-wattage electric shavers, curling irons and blow-dryers will blow the fuse. In Rome there is a small shopping mall downstairs in the Termini train station which I'd think would cater to travelers, try there for a 220V curling iron. Regards, Walter

Old Nov 25th, 2001, 03:06 PM
Patrick

Chris, I think you are misreading the posts. I have yet to hear anyone say that their dual voltage hairdryer or curling iron didn't work in Europe. Quite the contrary, they seem to get universal approval. What doesn't work is plugging a regular one into a voltage converter -- quite a different matter. Last year I used my conair hairdryer everyday for over 5 months in seven countries of Europe -- and a lot of it in Italy. Never a problem. Yes, I'm a man who uses a hairdryer -- I have thick hair and wash it every day.

Old Nov 25th, 2001, 04:47 PM
ooolala

Patrick - Why are you defending yourself? I can't think of anything more attractive than a man who can't leave the house (or hotel) without using a hair dryer. It's so low maintenance and masculine.

Old Nov 25th, 2001, 05:05 PM
J

I have long hair and have never had a problem drying it with the hairdryers supplied in my rooms. So it take 5 extra minutes so what!!! Buy a dual voltage curling iron and a plug adapter and forget about it!! There are more important things to worry about, will your guy's jockey shorts dry overnight, will the train be on time &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;whatever<BR>Just enjoy your trip, who's looking at you anyway!!!!!!!

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 07:17 AM
vidalsasson

Men who don't use hair dryers daily have poor grooming habits? I guess that makes me (and just about every guy I know) a slob.

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 10:27 AM
Patrick

I didn't think I was "defending" myself before, but guess I will now. I would not suggest that most men need to use a hair dryer, but if they had hair as thick as mine that seems to be oily each morning and turns very curly and uncontrollable, they would probably want to wash it daily also. If they didn't, they probably would be considered slobs. And if they have hair like mine and didn't want it to be dripping wet until noon, they'd probably want to use a hair dryer. I guess some people consider a 30 second hair wash while taking a shower and about one or two minutes using a blow dryer to dry it excessive and a threat to my "masculinity". Like I really care. I only wish shaving every morning were as quick and easy. By the way, Vidal Sasoon, I was wrong. My dual voltage hair dryer isn't a Connair, it's got your name on it! What do you make hair dryers for?

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 07:11 PM
John Bermont

Chris,<BR><BR>The advice given by several posters that you buy your electrical appliances in Europe is correct. It is very simple to find these devices in any major department store in virtually any city in Europe. Another likely source would be the duty free shop in your North American gateway airport. Call the airport and ask to talk to the duty free manager. <BR><BR>If you bring a high wattage 110 volt heating appliances be careful when using a "converter" in Europe; this is not a transformer and must match the power needs of your appliance, not exceed it.<BR><BR>The 110 volt outlets often furnished in bathrooms will only provide enough power for a razor. The circuit breaker trips if you try to plug in anything else.<BR><BR>For details of 110 and 220 volts, 50 and 60 Hz, adapters, converters, and transformers, see my page at www.enjoy-europe.com/hte/chap11/11-301.htm. This page, actually a chapter from my book, has to do with electricity in Europe and should be of some help in understanding the problems reported by others. Some say that they've never had a problem; I admit to several - hair blowers, converters, transformers - and hopefully provide some guidance to help you avoid trouble.<BR><BR>

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 08:13 PM
Maurice

Many N.American hair dryers (and other appliances) will have a little switch (125-250). In our case, this was a little rotator switch. It worked fine for Paris and London, but when we didn't switch it ALL THE WAY in Italy... it started to smell and we now own a locally bought hair dryer. (34,000L).<BR>If you can switch to 250V, yuo only need an adaptor, not a converter. Adaptors just change flat copper to round copper, and aren't much bigger than a regular wire plug end. (1" square); buy these for a few dollars. Adaptors are these big bricks, especially if they do 1000W for a heating element like a dryer. If you plan to travel a lot, buy one when you get over there. We found appliance stores in Rome along the raod with the tram from Victor Emmanuel square to Porta Maggiore.