Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

11 days - south of France

Search

11 days - south of France

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2019, 06:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would not stay in Methamis. It is too isolated, not in the Luberon, and there will be a lot of driving involved to get to the places most people want to visit - except the lavender fields around Sault. Either St Saturnin or Lioux would be fine. There are some nice white rock cliffs near Lioux that you can see from many areas in the Luberon. St Saturnin would be closer to restaurants & shops than Lioux.

Stu Dudley
Old May 19th, 2019, 09:24 AM

Just seeing this. Please see if my TR, "A Provence Sandwich", gives you any helpful ideas:

Trip Report: A Provence Sandwich

Please let everyone know what you ended up doing and how it all went.
Old May 24th, 2019, 12:55 PM

Jumping in here a bit late but we were in the Lubéron with our three kids 5 years ago and we are returning this summer because we loved it so much. They were 3,9,11 at the time. If it makes you feel any better, our trip planning is last minute and I just confirmed everything this week. Not my usual travel planning style but it worked out.
Our family stayed in a rental house in Goult last time. It is a very small village, not especially scenic but the house was lovely. We adored the towns of Gordes, Roussillon, Les Baux and Bonnieux.

Highlights with our kids were:
Renting e-bikes in Bonnieux and exploring the hilltop towns for an afternoon.
All of the lovely village markets. We visited so many and our entire family loved it.
Les Baux - we spent an entire day climbing all over the fortress and exploring the quaint little shops in town.
L’isle Sur la Sorgue - very unique and nice little town. Lots of antique shops with interesting treasures.
Aix en Provence - definitely worth a day. Larger town so it was a nice switch from the villages.

Enjoy your time in Provence. Slow down, relax, and don’t try to see it all!
Old May 25th, 2019, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Francewithfive Love your suggestions.... especially the fact that they are tested and approved by kids! I have them noted down. Thank you, and I hope your second trip is as memorable as the first one.

I also want to thank everyone else have taken the time to respond. Most of the reservations are done and we are very happy with how this somewhat "late in the game" plan has turned out.
  • Avignon by TGV
  • Three nights in St Saturnin
  • Two night in St Remy
  • One night on a working farm near Belcastel / Rignac -- We thought about driving directly to St Cirq Lapopie but that was too long so decided to spend a night here. It's still long but cuts down one hour and it will be a unique experience.
  • One night TBD -----Not booked yet. Most likely this will be St Cirq Lapopie. If not, the Rocamadour area.
  • Four nights in Beynac
  • Train from Brive to Paris
We will be in Luberon from Tuesday - Friday noon. Which villages do you recommend for markets on these days?
There are several caves in Dordogne. If we can only visit one, which one should we visit?
Old May 25th, 2019, 02:59 PM

I highly recommend Eygalieres for their Friday market. Eygalieres is near St. Remy. It is not a place renovated for tourism. It is a lovely village where people live and work and play petanque. We have been there several times because our daughter lives nearby, and we mostly hear French spoken. Not a lot of tourists. It's a wonderful market, and we have had a delicious lunch at Cafe Progress located on the same street as the market. On Fridays, they serve a delicious special fish dish. Another great market is in L'Isle Sur La Sorque. Go there on Thursday, not on Sunday. It is extremely crowded on Sundays and almost impossible to find parking. Thursday is a much better day.

Regarding caves in the Dordogne: I know there are some people on this forum who will disagree with me, but I am going to recommend Gouffre de Padirac. First you descend into the sinkhole via a combination of elevator and stairs, where you see greenery growing on the sides of the sinkhole. Then you take a small boat along the subterranean river. Then you walk up and down many stairs to see spectacular and gigantic stalactites and stalagmites.The only problem is that there will be long lines in summer. We were there in May and walked right in. You should check to see if you can order tickets online.

The other cave I will recommend is Peche Merle, which I think is technically in the Lot region. It is one of our favorites with original drawings and paintings, and stalagmites and stalactites. The spotted horses panel, the handprints, and foot print of the adolescent boy are amazing.
Old May 25th, 2019, 03:06 PM

Another vote for Pech Merle, you get to visit the actual caves and not a reproduction, I for one found it thrilling. Tickets can be bought online quite easily, though they have a cap on numbers. I haven’t been to any of the other caves, so can’t comment on them.
Old May 25th, 2019, 03:26 PM

>> There are several caves in Dordogne. If we can only visit one, which one should we visit? <<

Since you plan on staying in St Cirq Lapopie (maybe) - visit Pech Merle. It is less than 20 mins away. Pech Merle is also my favorite cave that has original art that you can see.

Stu Dudley