Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

11 Day Itinerary for Italy - Suggestions?

Jan 3rd, 2005, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Hello, traveling to Italy for 11 days in April and am unsure about itinerary. My husband and I definitely want to spend 3 - 4 days in Rome, and 3 days in Florence. Is there enough time to visit both Tuscany and Venice (and return to Rome for our flight home)?
Jan 3rd, 2005, 01:06 PM

Yes, Venice for most is about a two day thing - of course you could spend days there but it doesn't usually 'need' as much time as a Rome or Florence, much bigger places with a wealth of great day trips from each. Venice is small. that's my opinion.
Jan 3rd, 2005, 01:13 PM

Do you have your airline tickets yet? If not, you should consider an "open jaw" ticket - into Rome and out of Venice - to avoid the need to return to Rome. The price is often no greater or just a little more. With 11 days, you could spend 4 in Rome, 4 in Florence with a side trip to the Tuscan countryside and 3 in Venice. I don't necessarily agree with the opinion that Venice doesn't "need" more than 2 days. My opinion (and that is all it is) is that Venice needs as much time as you can find. Venice is a unique marvel of a city.
Jan 3rd, 2005, 06:02 PM

Unless you think Venice is only the Grand Canal, Piazza S. Marco, and the Rialto, I can't imagine how it can be "done" in only 2 days. We spent 4-1/2 days on our first trip, yet didn't have time for such sights as the Accademia and Guggenheim Museum or any of the smaller lagoon islands (Murano, Burano, Torcello, etc.).

You can "do" any city, including Rome, in 2 days, you just will miss a lot.

Actually, unless you are a huge Renaissance fan, Florence can easily be "done" in one day.
Jan 3rd, 2005, 06:49 PM

'Venice for most is about a two day thing.' ??
Not for the people who love it!'

Obviously you don't have unlimited time, but the three cities you mention are each quite different, so the experiences (and your likes and dislikes probably) will be different.

I agree with mamc and Rufus. In 4 days in Rome you can see most of the major sights. You will miss a lot, but see a lot. Florence is Renaissance art and architecture heaven. It is very crowded in summer; April shouldn't be too bad if it doesn't coincide too much with the Easter holiday at the end of March. Plan for three or four days in Florence.
If you've seen quite enough in the first two-three days, you could spend the third day
in a daytrip into Tuscany: Siena, or one of the other towns, or even an organized tour to some wineries.

Venice minimum is 3 days imo; the best part of it is just wandering.

I have travel files on the cities; if you'd like to see them, email me at
[email protected]