Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

"10 of us going to Ireland, London and Paris" we're back!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 08:15 AM
Patti Suttle

First of all-we had a GREAT time!! All went well with very few problems and all were very minor! We arrived at LAX on Mon. night <BR>7/9 at around 10:00 pm but it was around 2:30 am when we arrived in our town-my husband needed some breaks to stay awake!! <BR>I have been busy trying to catch up on phone calls to customers (I have a home based business) etc. so that is why I am a bit late in reporting! <BR>I am going to start my "trip report" here in a little bit-need to gather all my "stuff". <BR>But, I really have to tell you all that I am so depressed! I have been hit with this "trip over funk"! I guess I spent so much time, energy, thoughts etc. on this trip that now that it is over I am depressed. <BR>I know I have no "real" reason to be depressed-there are more important things going on in the world but right now that is how I feel. This too shall pass! <BR>Anyway, I am going to get my notes now.... <BR>Nancy-Our flight from Newwark to Shannon was delayed about 45 min. so I had time to RUN to your gate and your plane was there but it was ready to taxi out-that would have been great to meet-and it was close! Glad you too had a wonderful time and I hope you weather your adjustments OK. Looking forward to your trip report! Thanks for getting me the Pisa! <BR>Patti

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 08:47 AM
s.fowler

Hey welcome back! And so a search for the post-trip blues thread. <BR> <BR>We want to hear ALL -- especially about FOOD

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 08:54 AM
Beth

I never return to work the day after I return from a [wonderful] vacation - I know I am going to have to deal with what I call my "re-entry depression." In a way, it is probably a great testament to a good time. I think the old idea of taking 2 weeks on a liner coming home was the mentally safer way to go!!

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 09:36 AM
Peg

Welcome home Patti, We've all been waiting to hear about your trip! Will you just tell me quickly about your first dinner in Paris? (there was so much agonizing over the restaurant selection!)I can't wait for the report and all of the stories!

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 10:21 AM
Thyra

Patti.... welcome back... you should plan a day trip back to Hollywood, to share photos.. that will help get you over the "blues"... You must start deciding where to go next that's the only real cure . Well maybe redecorating your house... hm,mmmm on second thought, plan the next trip!

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 10:55 AM
Patti Suttle

Hi everyone! Yes, maybe some redecorating IS in order-I do want to put some tile in my "tv/computer room"! <BR>I put so much into this trip since I was so excited to share it with such good friends. (I'll share later what they bought me to thank me!!!) <BR>Peg-I really wanted our first dinner in Paris to be special and it was!! I had decided on L'Affriole and faxed them and called them. The call did not work because they could not speak English and I cannot speak French. And, they did not return our fax (which was computer translated). So, we could only go there on our arrival and they were full. So, I thought we'd have to just wing it and we walked right by one of the other choices (highly recommended here as well): La Fontaine De Mars. I walked in and asked for a reservation for that evening for 10 and they were wonderful to me. They fit us in at 7:30 and appologized we would only have the table until 9:30. They put us in the adorable room upstairs with a table for 10. Our waiter was a lot of fun! He spoke English and had worked on a cruise ship. GAil ordered the beef and we teased her <BR>about it so when he presented it to her he said "and for you THE mad cow". <BR>When Nancy asked for a card from the restaurant he gave her several cards and had made a shirt out of a napkin (cruise ship talent) and the cards were in the shirt! I had the duck breast with peppercorn sauce and eggplant custard. Oh la la! (the eggplant custard may not sound good but IT WAS WONDERFUL!) I had a glass of champagne, we had 2 coffee's, 1 water bottle, and we each had the floating island, my husbad had the lobster salad for a starter and for his main course he had the tuna steak with rice. All was fantastic and wonderful. Service was excellent and the restaurant was very attractive. Our dinner was 585F. (This does not include wine which someone else bought). <BR>So, was I happy with "our first dinner in Paris" YES!!! I hightly recommend this restaurant on all counts! <BR>S. Fowler-I belive you were the one to recommend this one-Thanks! Made my first dinner in Paris very memorable-just what I wanted.... <BR>La Fontaine De Mars <BR>129 Rue Saint Dominique <BR>7th Arrondissment <BR>(near Rue Cler). <BR>Oh, I'm depressed again! <BR>Patti <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 11:20 AM
Thyra

Nope, none of that depression stuff....get on with this report!!!!

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 11:38 AM
s.fowler

Wooooooo.... <BR>I think several people recommended LaFdeM -- but I'll take credit! We ate upstairs also with our party of 7. I think that's where they put larger groups -- downstairs is much more bistro-ish, but more crowded -- they couldn't have been nicer..... And the iles flottantes.... yummm... now *I'M* depressed