10 nights..luggage size

Feb 23rd, 2004, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

10 nights..luggage size

We need new luggage. My husband tends to carry along more than I do..believe it or not.What size would we need for 10 nights in Europe?
Has anyone used LL Bean luggage and have you found them to be longlasting?

What is your favorite brand of luggage and ladies, your favorite travel bag for days out. Thanks.
Feb 23rd, 2004, 06:03 PM

A 22" rolling bag is all I ever need for 10 days or 4 weeks. I recently bought a new bag from some company called Casual Wear - the bag has all kinds of special pockets and compartments that I like for separating shoes and toiletries and whatnot, and it has an expandable side. I used it for a 5-day trip to CA earlier this month and loved it.It's also bright yellow and easy to spot on the luggage carrousel.
Feb 23rd, 2004, 06:08 PM

For trips up to 10/14 days I use a 19 inch roll aboard, for longer trips I usually take a 21 incher. I love my TravelPro 19 inch bag. It just seems to have the best combimation of space and zip pickets and has really good wheels. There are much more expensive brands but my Travel Pro has lasted better and still looks good after many transatlantic trips. Some other bags have all these useless extra compartments and dividers that just take up valuable space.
Feb 23rd, 2004, 06:10 PM

StCirq: You were posting while I was writing. Funny - you like all the extra pockets and I find them a bother.
Feb 23rd, 2004, 08:09 PM

I use a 22" rolling suitcase. I don't pack any different for 10 days up to 4 weeks (unless visiting different climates).

If I was buying new I would pay attention to good wheels & how much the bag itself weighs EMPTY (lighter the better). And since recently I have been forced to check-in, not carry-on for overseas flights, I might even spring for a 24" instead.

For my daytime bag I just use a good large leather pocketbook with thick shoulder strap, one of my everyday purses from home. Buy a canvas bag (like from a local grocery store) if you find you need even a bit more room for guidebooks, water, picnics, whatever once you arrive.
Feb 23rd, 2004, 08:19 PM

Weekend or six weeks, I use a 22 inch rolling bag. The advice above to get the lightest bag possible is very wise. I struggled with my husband's heavy bag on a trip back east and came home and bought myself the lightest carryon I could find.

I only carry one purse, it's black leather about 7" X 9" by 5" thick and it holds guidebook, pocketbook, tickets, emergency phone nos., passports, credit cards, makeup (minimal) and my camera with an extra set of batteries. It has a heavy leather strap and I wear it across my body. It's not lovely but it's a reasonable size and it works.

Be sure you can lift the carryon above your head easily when it is empty. If you can't do it empty, you sure won't do it when it's filled.

Good luck.
Feb 23rd, 2004, 08:33 PM
rex

I think I take a lot, so I use both 22" rollaboard, AND a small-medium nylon duffel. I can put almost as stuff in it (say 15 pounds of stuff, and that includes EVERYthing I thnk I mightneed for the first three days after I arrive). One of the most important (overlooked) criteria of luggage (in my opinion) is how lightweight when EMPTY. Eight pounds for rollaboard; eight OUNCES for the carry-on (nylon duffel).

Best wishes,

Rex
Feb 23rd, 2004, 09:00 PM

Suze - what airline is making you check your 22 inch bag now?
Feb 23rd, 2004, 09:23 PM

Both BA and VS (Virgin Atlantic) allow only 6 kilos in the cabin so even a 19 inch bag would usually have to be checked. But I pack just as light when traveling on those airlines. I don't want to schlepp large bags anywhere.

The only reason I take a slightly larger bag (21 inches) for trips over 2 weeks is I usually end up buying more stuff on a longer trip so I need more packing space coming home.

Feb 23rd, 2004, 09:40 PM

I'm a big fan of Eagle Creek. Mine is very lightweight and durable, and rolls very easily. I have a 22-inch bag that expands, and I can fit in everything I need.

My husband, who also packs more than I do, has also become a convert to Eagle Creek after seeing how well mine works, though he got a slightly larger expandable. I don't think it's 24 inches, but it has rigid sides, so it seems bigger.

When we travel, we also take a (mostly empty) duffel bag, which comes back full (usually with wine or beer).

For a daytime bag, I have an Eagle Creek combination shoulder bag/backpack. You can stow the backpack straps away for a slightly nicer look. My husband and I take turns carrying it; I don't need a separate purse.

My last travel bag is a lightweight nylon bag that folds up to a 4 x 6 inch envelope. Unfolded, it's a light but spacious backpack. I carry it in the day bag for when we need extra carrying capacity - it's great for picnic lunch purchases.
Feb 24th, 2004, 06:39 AM

L. L. Bean luggage is top quality, very rugged. Should you even have a problem, you can return it for fullrefund or replacement no matter how long you've had/used it.
Feb 24th, 2004, 06:55 AM

We bought Costco's private label luggage....Kirkland.

It is well made, heavy non-rip ballistic nylon.

We used two 22 inch carry ons ( we checked them) for 10 nights in Italy and it worked out fine.

Whatever luggage you buy....pack light. I have never met a seasoned traveller that said, ""next time I'll travel heavier".
Feb 24th, 2004, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

ok these posts have been MOST helpful but have resulted in a few other questions.

Eagle Creek- Have you purchased online and where is the best place to purchase. It seems Eagle Creek and Costco Kirkland have been the two favored brands.

Do you do laundry there when you travel or do you purchase lightweight things that can be washed out?
Feb 24th, 2004, 07:52 AM

Eagle Creek is sometimes available at good prices at:

www.sierratradingpost.com

We usually figure on doing some laundry every 5-6 days.
Feb 24th, 2004, 08:31 AM

I think you can also get the Eagle Creek products on ebags.com
The prices there seem pretty good. I've only ordered accessories from them and don't know much about the luggage.
Feb 24th, 2004, 08:54 AM

robbiegirl: I was wondering the same, but for 21 days. I don't know how we're going to do it. We'll be going in May/June, so at least clothing won't be as heavy (I hope). However, with such varied activities and attire considerations such as very dressy occasions, as well as very casual occasions, it's really going to be a toughie. Hard to believe that we'll be able to fit our stuff (and anything we purchase there) in two 22" bags, plus a carry on.
Feb 24th, 2004, 09:02 AM

katiebug: Sure you can do it. I have gone to Europe for as long as 6+ weeks with just my 21 inch bag.

On one 3+week trip to the UK I fit in hiking boots/clothes and formal things. And by formal I mean FORMAL since I went to a Royal Variety performance (Hey Mr. Producer in the presence of the Queen and Prince Philip). For the formal I took a long crushed velvet skirt, a glittery beaded top, gloves, and high heels.

The 3 weeks included 7 days in London and 2+ weeks in the country and everythng easily fit in my bag w/ room to spare. it just takes some pre-planning so everything coordinates w/ everything else.
Feb 24th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

A good point to make, Katiebug. We are going to Italy in October mid to end. I am thinking it will be cool and a jacket will be needed. Will this still all fit in a 22inch bag?
Feb 24th, 2004, 09:12 AM

I'm impressed! Would you mind packing for us... and coordinating our itinerary?
Feb 24th, 2004, 09:13 AM

Janis is right, but it really does take some careful thought and planning. I have to visualize all the various outfits I can put together, so I usually start with a color scheme and spend a few hours laying out everything I think I might want to take and seeing what goes with what. Then I put it all in the suitcase to make sure it all fits with room to spare and haul the suitcase around the house a bit, including up and down stairs.

It takes some time to get it right, but it's eminently do-able.

Search this Thread