10 Minutes For Train Transfer

Old Nov 14th, 2007, 02:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 Minutes For Train Transfer

I am leaving Lugano at 0610 and arriving in Milan at 0745. Already made reservations for ES train leaving Milan at 0755 to Venice. Is 10 minutes sufficient for the transit? Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 03:06 AM

Despite the size of Milano Centrale with its many platforms, if your train arrives on time you should be able to make that connection.

If you want a peace-of-mind cushion is there an earlier timing from Lugano you can catch?

Centrale has the usual electronic board suspended above the head of the platforms on which you can easily locate your outgoing timing as you move along.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 03:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Dukey

The next earlier train leaving Lugano is at 1am. Come to think of it, the train from Lugano is an overnight one from Germany. So it may be probably timed to make the connection to Venice anyway.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 03:11 AM

Hi awwh,

Do you have luggage, etc? Either way, the trains are normally pretty efficient so you will probably pull in to the train station at 745 on the dot, in which case you should have time. Just have your luggage, etc down (assuming you have this) and ready to go, and be waiting at the door as the train is pulling up to Milano. The Milan station (assuming Centrale?) is large but very easy to navigate, as soon as you are off get out of the binario and find the huge boards listing the binarios/ gates (it should be very straightforward for you since Venice is most likely final destination).

Worst case scenario, if you do for some crazy reason end up missing the other train, there are trains from Milan to Venice that run pretty much every 10-15 mins so you could always change your ticket and hop on another!

Moral of the story: 10 mins should be fine, just don't waste any time
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 03:58 AM

Night trains can get delayed but fear not...there are all sorts of timings from Milano to Venice as has been pointed out. Centrale is an experience in and of itself to include the usual swirl of humanity, birds flying around, would-be Einsteins loafing around, and perhaps a few pickpockets.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 05:32 AM
ira

Hi AW,

Schedules are at www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

You could change your ticket for the 08:55 ES*.

Old Nov 14th, 2007, 06:20 AM

Even SBB, who usually donīt mind timing transfers at 3.4 min (in smaller stations), only recognise 20-25 min or more between trains in MIlano Cīle as "transfer".
If you have a ticket from Lugano to Venice you should have less problems just taking the next ES from Milano to Venice if your train from Lugano is too late (ask the conductor to mark the delay on your ticket). if you have bought two different tickets - all bets are off.
Donīt forget that you are travelling at major commuting time and much more people get on and off the train than during the day, causing additional delays.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 07:08 AM

Overnight trains IME are more likely to be late

It's a very iffy connection

You should have scheduled a later connection Milan-Venice

if have a full fare ticket you can transfer it to a later train i believe with a minor fee.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 07:21 AM

I did it many times but I can tell you it can be quite nerve-wrecking.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 10:16 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Milan was the most intimidating train station I have experienced (call me sheltered but it was very confusing!).
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 11:12 AM

Yes Milan is a huge station with trains and passengers going to and fro from all directions.

Ask the conductor on your train into Milan if he knows which track your connecting train may leave from to get a heads up. About 50 tracks in this sprawling station

And the Venice train may well be late taking off too. Not unusual for a train to be a little Ritardo in Italy.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 02:21 PM

If the incoming train is on time 10 minutes are tight but sufficient. If the incoming train is late AND if the outgoing train is on time you will miss your connection. Then you simply take the next train to Venice. So what? (reservations are not really necessary)
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 02:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Yes. Not always, but usually. I had 6 minutes to change once in Milan (also heading to Venice) and found the station easy to navigate and sufficient time to make the train. Fortunately, however, the first train originated from Paris, not from any place in Italy, where posted train times are merely a recommendation.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 02:35 PM

I think the Milan station is actually pretty easy - it's a "head-in" station ... and all on one level, so basically what you have to do is figure out which platform your train to Venice is leaving from and head in that direction.

Check out which are the last couple stations you will pass on your incoming train, and when you pass by them, start to get any baggage ready to go and get yourself as close to the exit doors as possible. Otherwise, you will be behind everyone else trying to get out.