10 days Rome to Cinque Terre

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and i will be arriving in rome in the early morning (8am) of March 21st and plan to stay in rome 3 nights (Hotel Mascagni) seeing the biggies and eating then leave Rome in a rental car the morning of the 24th for Tivoli then On to Orvieto for lunch on our way to Radda where we will spend 3 nights at (Hotel Palazzo Leopoldo) seeing Tuscan towns, yet undecided, then moving to Lucca and spending 3 nghts ( Hotel Albergo Villa Marta) seeing Florence Pisa and Cinque Terre then driving back to Fiumincino to drop off the car stay the night (Hilton Garden Inn Airport) to fly out on the morning of the31st.
Please help me fill in the blanks I don't want to do too much or too little. I'm not a historian so it need not be thorough, my goal is to enjoy my wifes company , eat good food , see the sights and sounds of these parts of italy and build some great memories to grow old on and oh yes test my metal and see if i can drive in Italy. Any help would be appreciated especially on Tusacny.
Thank You!!!
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 03:23 PM

IMO,You are putting way to much in the Lucca 3 days.

If you have already booked Lucca hotel then, do a day trip to Pisa.

If you arent tied into Lucca hotel, CT would be a wonderful 3 night adventure.

CT deserves more than a daytrip.
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 02:22 AM
Original Poster

We are already booked into Lucca Hotel. We really didn't know what we should do for accomodations and a friend suggested Lucca. We could do Florence from Radda and cut back on the 3 days in the Tuscan towns or maybe just omit something.Thanks for your insight.
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 02:44 AM
ira

Hi Nol,

>my goal is to enjoy my wifes company , eat good food , see the sights and sounds of these parts of italy....<

I think that you have chosen well.

Lucca is a pleasant, quiet town that is lovely for strolling or biking and relaxing.

You don't really need your car once you arrive. You can train to Pisa, Florence, La Spezia and Rome.

I suggest staying in Rome your last night and taking a cab to the airport.

See www.trenitalia.com/en/idex.html for train schedules and prices.

This might be useful to you.

A DAY IN FLORENCE:

Train to Florence SMN:
The Luggage Office is to your left as you leave the train.

From Piazza d' Stazione, walk up via Nazionale to via d'Ariento and the Mercato Centrale, wander through.

Take any street going NE to Via Degli Alfani and go right to the Accademia for The David.

Take via Ricasoli SE to the Duomo, the Baptistry and the Opera Museum (Originals of the bronzes on the doors)

From the Campanile, take via Calzaiuoli S (do some window shopping) to the Piazza d' Signoria. Look around, take a break.

Continue S to the Uffizi. Visit.

From the Uffizi, walk W along the Arno River to the Ponte Vecchio.

(You can walk up to the Pitti Palace and the Boboli Gardens if there is time. Great views of Florence from the top of the Gardens)

If you have time, walk E along the S bank of the river to Ponte alle grazie and cross over to visit Santa Croce.

If not, go W along the Arno from Ponte Vecchio to Ponte S. Trinita and go right. Go left on Via d'Spada to via d'Fossi and go right to Santa Maria Novella. Look around.

SMN is across the square from the train station.

If you have time, take the no. 7 bus (you can find it at the SMN train station) up to Fiesole (0:20 hr 1E) to watch the sunset from the terrace of the Bar Bleu.

Be sure to have lots of gelato (in a cup, not a cone), take some wine breaks and a light lunch.

Train schedules, prices and tickets are at http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html
Call center from outside Italy is 39-06-68475475

Bus routes are at http://www.ataf.net/
Buy your ticket before you get on the bus. Stamp it in the yellow box on the bus.

Uffizi and Academia Museum Reservations
You can purchase tickets online at http://www.b-ticket.com/b-ticket/uffizi/

> ....and oh yes test my metal and see if i can drive in Italy.<

Driving in Italy isn't all that hard. It's the navigating that's challenging.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Mar 12th, 2009, 03:46 AM

The Lucca part is too busy.

Is there any way you could switch from Lucca to Portovenere or another Ligurian coast town near the CT?
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Ira,
Thanks for the wonderful details I will print out your Florence notes and carry. I am into the car for 7 days after Rome so i guess i'll be driving, any Idea's on a car approach to florence rather than train. I'm a little spooked about parking and the whole thing about driving into areas where tourist or cars in general aren't allowed. Don't want to pay some fines down the road. You think those ares will be obvious to a tourist?
\We were planning on taking our time on the last day driving back to da vivci airport maybe taking the long way down on the west side rather than the autostrada this adds 3 hrs or so on my GPS route but we thought we might see something interesting. Do you have any knowledge of that route it goes through towns like Collesalvetti,Cecina,Follonica,Grosseto, anc civitavecchia to name a few. Or we could go back the route we came on (A1)and make stops in towns on the way back down like Orvieto. What say you?
Your advice is much appreciated !!
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

eksruchy,
I'm afraid the Hotel Alfredo villa marta in Lucca is locked in. I'm guessing your Idea of being closer to CT was so we could spend more time there?
What about driving there twice is the drive from Lucca an interesting one where we might enjoy a double drive? Or should we train from Lucca to CT ? I'll alraedy have the car but from what i gather i will have get on a train at some point because CT is not accessable by auto, correct?
I could trade a day in Pisa for CT if time is too short what do you think ?
Thank you for your comments
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 06:41 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
While you can drive to CT, you can't drive once you get there. You will have to park your car and train or hike.

I would not drive to Pisa. I would take the train (it's only 20 minutes from Lucca), spend an hour and then head to CT.

Is there no way you can cancel your Lucca hotel?
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 06:44 AM

You can park the car in Monterosso or Riomaggiore and then walk through the various towns.

You could drive from Lucca and explore Portovenere or the area around Lerici. Do not make the mistake of thinking that the CT is the only lure in this part of the Ligurian coast.

I'm not sure that Ira rented a car on his trip to Italy, and I doubt if he has been to the CT area, so he might not be the best one to answer your questions about driving the routes in question.

I am also timid about driving in Italy but we have done it many times and not had any problems. The signs are pretty clear about parking.

You will want to keep some flexbility to allow for changes in the daily plan due to weather reports. You do not need to decide right now whether or not you are going to drive from Lucca to the CT area. So keep gathering info here and you can decide once you get to Lucca.
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 06:45 AM

Look here for further information about driving to the CT; the roads in this part of Italy are excellent, by the way.

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/liguria/cinqueterre.htm
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

hey escunch thanks fro the drive info, I posted on your site copncerning the car rental we made.Seems like i'm getting some negative vibes about staying in Lucca I was acting on some advice of a friend who had stayed there and thought it would be a good place to stay and reach Florence Pisa and CT and Chill as well the Hotel is outside of town and has an excellent resturant. Why the negativity I'm just curious. Ira seems to like the idea!
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 08:26 AM

Except for the time in Chianti, this trip seems much more suited to train travel than driving. We stayed several days in Lucca, but in the center of town. It's easy to take the train from Lucca to Florence or Pisa. Much easier than driving. The train drops you in the middle of town, in the middle of the sights to see. A car requires you to park on the outskirts and find a way in. The historic centers of Italian towns just don't have parking lots. And driving in central Florence is strictly limited.

As somebody else mentioned, the Cinque Terre villages are connected by train, footpath or boat. An overnight here would be better, and you'd just have to park the car.

What places in Tuscany do you want to visit? Most of us prefer southern Tuscany for its sublime scenery, and that is at some distance from Radda.

And I personally do not believe in staying in an airport hotel before a flight home -- unless said flight is very, very early. You just waste one night of expensive vacation. I stay in Rome. Last time we took a town car from Rome to FCO at 6 AM. It's kind of nice to see the city so quiet early.
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 09:23 AM

I was only in Lucca to change trains but I do know that CT and surrounding areas is better IMO.
It is absolutely beautiful.
There is no comparison in my book.

I have driven in Italy and lived to tell the story
Only be the grace of God go I.

Actually it is fine if you pay attention and have a co-pilot.

Regarging getting to FCO early in the morning...
I have taken a cab in Rome to FCO before 7am on three different occasions from the hotel/apt. we were staying at with no problems. No need to stay near airport.
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Mimar,
Thanks for your insights. We will probably follow your advice on train into florence as far as CT stay over we have 3 night in Lucca as we do in Rome and Radda the prices were less expensive on 3 night stays. As far as what to see in Tuscany we have looked at all the usual suspects and realize that we need to narrow down the field we thought possibly while stationed in Radda we would do one day southern towns one day northern towns and one day at large. Any recomendations as to how i might accomodate this schedule would be appreciated. I have Karen browns Rec. and The Loney Planet Tuscanny Book also to look at, but your input would be valuable.
Our flight beack leaves at 10am Tuesday so we need to be there at 8am so we thought we would return the car late Monday and drag our feet driving back to Rome from Lucca on Monday and maybe se some rural towns or sights we missed on the way up. So our stay at the airport hotel won't be for long.
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

EK,
I just was reading through your 2007 tarvel log on Rome the Scavi Vatican tour sounds like something that would be good. Does that take you through the Sistine Chapel etc. Where would i go to find out more info on booking that tour or am i too late i leave Marh 20th and will do the Vatican on monday the 23rd.
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 10:57 AM

Nolan,

I am currently planning a similar trip, staying in Siena and then moving up to Portovenere (for CT), and then Lucca. I don't know why you were getting "bad vibes" about Lucca. BTW, I thought you meant you posted your question in Slow trav? I went there but didn't see your post. I stayed in Lucca for 2 weeks a couple of years ago and loved it. I did a day trip to the CT from there by train (1.5 hrs , had to change twice) and also Pisa. You should really spend at least a day enjoying what Lucca itself has to offer.
But I can see how the Liguria area can be very special to experience for at least 2-3 days, so that is why this time we'll stay there, at least 2 nights.

I agree that to do daytrips to Pisa and Florence from Lucca you don't need a car. However, is the Albergo Villa Marta walking distance to the train station?
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

cr,
I don't think so but we could drive to the Lucca station and park. That sounds American i guess, rent a car to drive to the train station.
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 11:33 AM

Nolan, lol!

BTW, I just looked at the reviews on Albergo Villa Marta in Tripadvisor and they highly recommend it. It seems like a lovely place to stay.