10 Days in London

Old Mar 11th, 1997, 12:06 PM
Graham Young

10 Days in London

I am going to be in London with 2 friends for 10 days in mid May. I'm looking for reccomendations for 1-2 day mid week trip away from the city. Any suggestions, doesn't neccessarily need to be in the U.K.?

Old Mar 12th, 1997, 02:30 PM
barbara.hunt

Bath can be either a nice day trip or an overnight. It's a bit touristy but also really lovely.

Old Mar 17th, 1997, 05:48 PM
Rhodri

Three suggestions:
1. Paris takes only 3 hours by the Channel tunnel, and is relatively inexpensive, but should be savoured over a longer period than 2 days.

2. Edinburgh has a histrory of it's own and many sights that beat London easily. If you book in advance, a one way flight can be as inexpensive as 29 pounds.

3. Oxford or Cambridge. Oxford is my favourite, and is the older, but the Cambridge colleges are much larger and more imposing. By train Oxford is less than an hour away, and a return ticket can be less than 10 pounds.

Old Mar 17th, 1997, 05:48 PM
Rhodri

Three suggestions:
1. Paris takes only 3 hours by the Channel tunnel, and is relatively inexpensive, but should be savoured over a longer period than 2 days.

2. Edinburgh has a histrory of it's own and many sights that beat London easily. If you book in advance, a one way flight can be as inexpensive as 29 pounds.

3. Oxford or Cambridge. Oxford is my favourite, and is the older, but the Cambridge colleges are much larger and more imposing. By train Oxford is less than an hour away, and a return ticket can be less than 10 pounds.

Old Mar 18th, 1997, 11:07 AM
B.Irving

Some of my favorite day trips from London are:
1) Portsmouth, where they have some ships on display that you can tour. The HMS Victory - Lord Nelson's Flag ship, the Mary Rose - from Henry VIII time.
2) If you like castles, go to Warick. It is one of the best, original medival catles.
3) Cardiff, Wales - things to see & do, but also I have met some of the friendliest people there.
4) Edinburgh has already been mentioned. I second that motion.

Old Mar 18th, 1997, 07:21 PM
J. Broderick

I would recommend the southwest of England, specifically Cornwall. You should have good weather in May and Cornwall is really stunning, especially on the north coast with its spectacular cliffs. You may want to rent a car to get down there - there's not much public transport once you get to the main rail centers.