10 days in Italy

May 30th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

10 days in Italy

We are planning a 10 day trip In Italy But are not sure how to make the best of our time there. We want to spend time in Rome, Florence, Siena, Venice, Naples and maybe Milan.

a) What would be a good time to spend in these places? It is definitely a lot. which places and ho many days would you recommend for a regular tourist.
b) WIll it make sense to rent a car for these days or better to travel in train for all these places.
c) We are coming in from Budapest and moving to Paris. Is it best to flying Rome and move upwards?
d) Finish in Venice or Milan and then train to Paris.

Any help in finalizing our itinerary will be of great great help. I am planning a 2 month trip of Europe and so far have received so much amazing feedback. I am hoping I will get the same for Italy as well.
Thanks
May 30th, 2012, 11:07 AM

Hi

You only have 10 days so forget Naples and Milan. So 3 days Rome, then bus to Siena (2 nights), bus to Florence (2 nights) and train to Venice (3 nights). You won't need a car. We are in currently in Venice after doing this itinenary and and it worked well. Is it better to fly to Paris from Venice i.e quicker/cheaper?
May 30th, 2012, 11:56 AM

I agree with worldinabag. The places you list are too far apart to all be visited and enjoyed in ten days. Unless you are just checking stuff off a list, not really seeing anything. I would think heading south to north makes more sense, because you are then closer to Paris.

Do not rent a car. You cannot use it in the main cities because of traffic restrictions, very high parking fees, and difficulty in finding your way around. The only place would be in Siena if you were going to take day trips in the countryside, but you will not have time to do that.
May 30th, 2012, 12:01 PM

we flew on Easyjet from Venice to Paris. Cheap and quick. Have a great time!
May 30th, 2012, 12:07 PM

Yes with 10 days pick 2, 3 places MAX or you will spend more time in transit than you will actually seeing and experiencing the places you are visiting! For me that would be Venice, florence, and Rome.
May 30th, 2012, 12:10 PM

What time of year are you traveling? I agree that you don't have time for all you listed in 10 days. You can either depart by Easy Jet from Venice or Rome to Paris (forget Milan/Naples this trip). Time of year might affect whether you want to go north to south or vice versa.
May 30th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

We will be in Italy from September 15th to 26/27. I think we will prefer going south to north because our next destination is Paris. I think3 days Rome, then bus to Siena (2 nights), bus to Florence (2 nights) and train to Venice (3 nights) sounds about right.
What I am wondering is whether Siena is worth doing or should be raher spend more time in Rome and Florence ?
May 30th, 2012, 01:06 PM

I'm with the rest....no more than 3 destinations. For a 2 night stay you only have 1 full day in that location!! For my two cents, if you must have 3 locations, make it 4 nights Rome, 3 in Florence and 3 in Venice. If you insist on Siena make it a day trip from Florence - an easy bus trip and no extra packing and unpacking. For a more relaxing trip I'd say split the nights and make it 5 in Rome and 5 your choice. You're traveling for two months - slow down a little and take time to enjoy your surroundings!

Have a great trip
May 31st, 2012, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks travelfan-Let me do some more research like you mentioned and do some more adjusting to my trips