10 Days in Germany / Austria

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! I am beginning to think about a trip to Southern Germany / Austria. I have done a bit of research, but need some perspective and want to ensure I am not planning anything "too touristy" or duplicate experiences. In terms of sites/historical experiences, I know I want to visit Dachau, Berchtesgaden (Eagle's Nest), and Neuschwanstein Castle. Other that that, it would be about taking in the cultural aspects. I've heard great things about Garmish and Oberammergau, as well and would like to incorporate at least Salzburg and parts of Austria, if possible.

Does anyone have recommended agenda's for a roughly 10 day trip? On a prior trip to Italy, we moved around every 2-3 days and I found myself growing tired of having to pack up and select a new "base," so I would like to avoid that if possible.

Thanks!
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 07:38 AM

Train or car? Trains go all those places (or buses).
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Train would be the preference, but am not opposed to car. I find renting a car in a foreign country a bit intimidating, but am up for the challenge.
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 08:27 AM

" taking in the cultural aspects"
Don't forget Munich; there is stuff for more than 1 day.
If you travel in summer, you may be interested in the Bregenz Opera Festival (Bregenzer Festspiele) too.
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 11:19 AM

No need of a car for your plans - trains and or buses do go everywhere you'll want to - and as all of your destinations fall in the area covered by the bargain Bavaria Pass - which for about 30-35 euros gives you and others traveling with you unlimited use of regional trains, buses and city transports for a day - buy it at stations once there. For lots on German trains check www.bahn.de/en (German Rail's web site for schedules of trains); www.seat61.com; BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com.

You can't take the fastest trains but all of your destinations are served by regional trains - anyway a real bargain for day tris.
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 09:57 PM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
The time of year you are traveling might influence your cultural activities. For example, in autumn in Austria (and Bavaria) there are harvest festivals and almabtrieb; in winter of course, Advent and Christmas markets; in summer there is the Salzburg Festival, and so forth.