Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

10 Days in Cotes D'Azur and Provence - HELP!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2005, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello again Fodorites!

I originally posted last month and am very grateful for your helpful responses in getting some general ideas and suggestions of what to see and where to go on our upcoming 9/22-10/3 trip. Now that we have our hotel reservations, I need help with restaurant recommendations, particularly on the Provence leg of our trip.

We will be starting our trip anchored in Nice from 9/23-9/29 (Le Meridien Hotel), as my husband has a 4 day convention in Nice that starts 2 days after we arrive. I will have the benefit of going on excursions set up for spouses during those 4 days and we will be set for business dinners on at least 2 of those nights, but that still leaves open 3-4 dinners. So...first question is what restaurants do you recommend (lunch and dinner) in the Cotes D'Azur region?

From 9/29-10/3 we will be staying in Arles (Hotel D'Arlatan). We plan to explore Arles, Avignon, Nimes, Les Baux, Gordes and Bonnieux during those 3 and 1/2 days, so we could really use some restaurant recommendations for any of these areas as well.

One last question - we were planning on renting a car for only the Provence leg of the trip - do you think we can get by in the Nice area without one?

Thanks so much for your helpful responses!
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Anyone?!
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 08:16 AM

In Arles, I had an excellent meal at the Jules César, and in Isle-sur-la-Sorgue, I liked Le Prévoté very much.
I think both train and bus service out of Nice is very good, but you will need a car in the Provence region.
Enjoy my favorite regions of France.
Boots
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 08:32 AM

I agree. No car needed in Nice; lots of lovely excursions possible by bus and train. Restaurant recommendations: Lou Balico, 20 ave St-Jean Batiste, and Nissa la Bella, 6 rue Ste-Reparate, both for traditional Nicois food and both reasonably priced.

And, yes, you need a car for Provence, but sounds like you're covering an awful lot of country in 3 1/2 days. Relax and enjoy the Provencal lifestyle. Restaurant rec in Avignon: Brunel, 46, rue de la Balance (east of Place du Palais).
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 09:26 AM

Restaurants that we like in Nice: L'Ecurie, in Vieux Nice--Niçois specialties, along with general French and some Italian; Café Turino for seafood--it's near the modern art museum and a local favorite; for a splurge, Chantecler, at the Hôtel Negresco. There are many more good restaurants, but those are the ones we've liked best. All three are within walking distance of Le Meridien.

In Les Baux, another splurge could be the Oustau de Beaumanière--famous for many years for fine food. Near Gordes is La Ferme de la Huppe, an inn/restaurant with delicious food at reasonable prices.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 09:43 AM
machin

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34608762

Old Jul 25th, 2005, 09:43 AM

Add La Ribto de Taven in Les Baux..across the raod from Oustau de Baumaniere....and, of course, the ever popular Bistrot du Paradou down the raod....
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 10:46 AM

Don’t miss Eze village while in Nice http://la-cote-dazur.com/eze/index.html. It’s most beautiful place I visited in Riviera.

Could be one of the choices for excursions:
Villa Kérylos http://www.villa-kerylos.com/kerylos...y/fr_index.htm
Villa Ephrussi-Rothschild, St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat http://www.villa-ephrussi.com/ephrus...y/uk_index.htm

If you have time to visit Orange while in Provence, the Théâtre Antique is very impressive.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 12:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I'll suggest places for the ones you asked for.
Arles: L'Affenage, Lou Marques, Les Vaccares. There's a tapas bar we haven't tried yet, La Cueva.
Les Baux: I'll agree with the Oustau de B. and La Riboto de Taven, La Cabro d'Or, Le Mas D'Aigret.
Avignon: heily-Lucullas, Christian Etienne, La Veille Fontaine, Bain-Marie.
Gordes: Les Bories, and just outside(les Emberts) Le Mas Tourteron. (I want to try this year the Comptoir du Victuailles.)
In Bonnieux: Le Fournil, César. Auberge de La Loube. Call for closing days, the Loube was closed wed. and thur.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Merci milles fois for all your suggestions - I know this will help us a lot to fill in the blanks. Please keep those restaurant suggestions coming.

In the meantime, I'll also take suggestions on how we should plan to divide our time in Provence. We'll be getting in on a Thursday afternoon, and will have all day Friday through Sunday, then we drive back to Nice for a 1 PM plane. Keeping in mind that we'll be staying in Arles and with the desired areas detailed in my intial posting, what itinerary would you suggest?
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 03:05 PM

I'd suggest getting a copy of the Michelin Green Guide to Provence and looking at the suggested itineraries contained therein. It's an excellent guide, and you'll need one for getting around and general information on the major sights.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

I've got it - I guess it's time for me to actually READ it, n'est-ce-pas?!
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 08:35 PM

Bien sûr!
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 09:08 PM

Margo -

maybe my web page on our trip to Provence can help you:

http://www.travel.stv77.com/provence/provence.html
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your help - I'm going to sit down this weekend and try to process and organize it all. In the meantime, keep those ideas and suggestions comin'!
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 01:50 PM

Margot --

If you can schedule I'lle sur la Sorgue for the Sunday you'll be in Provence, the market there is fabulous! You need to get there early in the morning - before 9:00A, as the area around the market fills up very quickly with cars. The town itself with all the water and water wheels is so charming. You could make the trip to Gordes after you're done at the market. I don't think it's all that far away -- 30 minutes tops? Someone else may know better than I.

Enjoy!!

P.S. When you return from your trip, please post a report. I will be in Provence next summer and wonder if a drive to Arles is something we should not miss.

Merci!

Joy
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 03:54 PM

Margot- of your listed cities, I am not sure about Nimes. I think its the least charming of the ones you listed and wont be as nice as Arles. I think there are other areas that you might substitute and enjoy more.

I am in agreement with the poster about the stop in I'lle sur la Sorgue or other towns around Gordes. Rousillion comes to mind as well.

Are you leaving on sunday or on Monday at 1 pm.

Attempted itinerary

Arles - arrive and hang out, have dinner
Les Baux, St. Remy area
Avignon
Gordes/other cute towns around Gordes

Old Jul 27th, 2005, 04:21 PM

There's a huge market in Arles on Saturdays, located along one of the main boulevards. Besides having a whole lot of stuff to look at, it's a great spot for people-watching.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 04:37 PM

We rented a Hertz car at your hotel-easy simple-no problems and drove to Provence in 2-3 hours-no problems on the A-8.We also arranged to leave the car at thr Nice airport.We returned to the Nice area for three days parked the car and walked and used the train.Great.Enjoy
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 03:57 AM

Margot....unless it is a question of time I wouldn't count out Nimes especially with its active old Roman arena and Maison Carree, both *** in Michelin. But more important is it is just a few miles from the Pont du Garde which you can hardly not go to. And a couple of delightful towns on the drive. But...so much you can do in the time you have alloted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -