1 full day in Amsterdam with kids - any suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife, kids (1 yr and 4 yrs old) are flying from US (Florida) to UAE and have a full day stopover in AMS, arriving @ 6:00 am and departing @ 9:30 pm (Oct 5th). My understanding is that our luggage will be booked all the way through so we will just have to deal with our hand carry stuff and getting through the immigration. I wanted to see if the group can give some recommendations on how to make the best of our time in Amsterdam... I understand there is some sort of train that goes from the airport to Central station? or should we opt for the taxi instead. Any suggested canal cruises that are fun but not too expen$ive?? What else that is relaxing and fun (certainly no RDL or fun bars)... Also, I know we are certainly going to pass on the beautiful museums since it will probably be too much for the little ones.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old Sep 25th, 2011, 10:32 AM

First, 6:00 am is a terrible time to be arriving in Amsterdam. Your family will still be on Florida time, midnight. See if you can change the flight to arrive in AMS sometime around noon. Then they will have a chance at some sleep on the plane and will not suffer so much from jet lag.

There are luggage lockers in the airport secure zone. Your wife can drop off anything that she doesn't need for the day. However she will need pampers, wipes, food, and toys for the infant. This is bulky. She will need a stroller.

For seeing Amsterdam I recommend hiring a bicycle rickshaw. Others here will recommend the canal boat cruises.

The science museum might be of interest to your 4 year old. It is full of school age kids.

Beware of pickpockets, especially on the train from Schiphol and in Centraal Station. Your wife is vulnerable because of the load she is carrying. The Schiphol train station is under the main plaza. I don't know if there is an elevator. The kids ride for free.

Also beware of bicycle paths in the city. Never walk in one, and cross them quickly.

Another option to consider is to just stay at Schiphol. There is a kids play room there and a huge shopping area. Schiphol has the best duty free shopping in Europe.
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 12:03 AM

Spaarne - coming to the UAE is not quite as easy as arranging a flight from NY to LA with lots of alternatives. You have to take what's available.

I've been on the 6 am arrival and it worked out ok for me. I got to the hotel, checked in and began to walk around town by 8. It was cool and crisp and nice to see people wearing jackets in August! I had purchased the the I Amsterdam card so there was plenty for me to do during the day and all paid for.

RK - you may want to take a taxi into town simply because you will have so much to carry with the kids. On the other hand, it's a simple train ride into town if you can handle everything easily enough.

I visited the Rijksmuseum and did the boat ride in the morning. Although I wanted to try local food, I was famished and saw the Hard Rock cafe from where the blue boat tours let us off. So I had a great American style lunch and saved the local food option for dinner.

I live in Abu Dhabi and if there's anything I can help you with in anticipation of your arrival, please let me know.
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 12:06 AM

Forgot one thing. Please take Spaarne's comment about the bike path seriously. I was nearly run over 4 times by either bicyclists or motor bikes (yes, I finally got it). We are used to walking on the sidewalk adjacent to the street. There the area adjacent to the street is for bicycles and motor bikes. The walkway is marked and is over farther from the street. Please be mindful of this especially with the children.
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input, I will look further into the taxi vs train ride to the ity in the next couple of days. I have been to AMS once b4 several yrs ago so I can understand the bike traffic that you guys mentioned and will certainly be mindful of the same.

chesq, Thanks for ur offer on the UAE side but I think we will be ok there as we have been there before.... Not t mention we have some family there.
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 02:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
we had 4 dyas in Amsterdam with our kids, albeit they were a bit older than yours.

our favourite activities were the zoo, the hands on Science museum "Nemo" in the harbour, and the nearby floating Chinese restaurant.

the zoo opens at 9am every day, as does the science museum.

why not find a good hotel that will serve breakfast to non-residents to give yourselves a good start to the day before you set off sightseeing?