1 Day in Barcelona - HELP !!

Mar 22nd, 2006, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

1 Day in Barcelona - HELP !!

We are arriving in Barcelona on a Friday morning and leaving on a cruise on Sat morning - can someone tell us how we can see something of Barcelona ?? Any good walking tours we could do to include dinner ? We are staying at the Regina Hotel. We are going to try to make the best of it - with jet lag !! Thanks for your help.
Mar 22nd, 2006, 06:47 AM

Barcelona is a fabulous city with lots to see. There are 2 bus lines, I think they're the red and blue that you pay a one time fare and they take you all over the city to see the sites. You can hop on and off at any of the stops. Don't miss all the Gaudi architecture.
Mar 22nd, 2006, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks buonriorno !
Mar 22nd, 2006, 10:07 AM

I think the hop on/hop off bus would be your best option also. Costs around 20 euros.(I didn't use it but went around with public transport instead). It's real popular, and your hotel should be able to help you with details. You can start your journey at any of the stops.

The tourist office (at Plaza Catalunya, look for a sign that points to an underground location) can also help with night activities such as performances.

Shops close around 8 pm, and once they are closed, the Old Town neighborhood is pretty scary. I suggest not walking through the Latin Qtrs at night unless you are with someone who knows the area.

There are restaurants everywhere ... Dinner should not be a concern.
Mar 22nd, 2006, 11:10 AM

Your hotel is really well located, so you will be able to do pretty much whatever you want and quickly.

As for dinner, right up the street (on the SW corner of Rambla de Catalunya and Gran Vía) you have La tramoia, a tapas restaurant that I always recommend to visitors.

The Bus Turístic is a lot of fun and is a full day of sight seeing. I did the Ruta Sur, which i recommend abandoning after you get to the Colón statue at the port. Going beyond that is a waste of time, particularly if it is already the evening. Unless, of course, you want to have dinner in the Barceloneta, in which case I recommend you hop off and find the Champañería where you get sandwiches and bottles of cava. To order a bottle of cava you must order a sandwich, so if there are 2 of you and you want two bottles, you must order one per sandwich. If you order two sandwiches and a bottle of cava, to get another you will have to order more food. Was that not the wordiest way to express that principal? I think so.

Friday nights in BCN are really fun. A great bar is Royal, right off of Plaça Reial (on the Ramblas). If you enter from the Ramblas, take the first street on your right and it is the first door on your left. DO NOT GO DOWN ESCUDELLERS AT NIGHT!!!