Search

1 Day Aix 2 days Paris

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2004, 09:11 AM
EPC
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1 Day Aix 2 days Paris

I am driving from Nice to Gorge du Verdon staying St. Laurent. I will be in Aix En Provence for 1 day before I take the TGV to Paris for 2. I know this is not a "slow Travel" itinerary but it is what it is! Is there anything I should definately not miss either on my drives from Nice to St. Laurent, or to Aix, in Aix and Paris in 2 days? I have been to Paris before and saw all of the "musts" and may repeat some, but wanted to know of special areas to walk around in. I know the whole city.......but we only have 2 days. Thanks for any and all info!
Old May 23rd, 2004, 11:04 AM

On your way from the Gorges du Verdon to Aix, be sure to stop in the charming, scenic village of Moustiers-Ste-Marie, famous for its faience. It's a marvelous place to wander and look into the small shops--and perhaps do a bit of buying.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 03:23 PM

And if you are going to be there at lunch time, make a reservation at Les Santons.
Old May 24th, 2004, 01:06 PM
EPC
Original Poster

We now have reservations at Santon Restaurant. Thank you for the advice. We plan on going into Bastide Moustier to explore. Is Grasse worthwhile on our ride up from Nice? Any other towns that would be interesting?
Old May 24th, 2004, 02:28 PM

If you have time while you're at the Gorges, I'd highly recommend the Route des Crêtes.

As the website below says: "This is a loop road, starting 1 km north of La Palud-sur-Verdon and returning to the village. The full loop of 23 km follows the very edge of the northern rim, with some of the most spectacular views of the canyon."

http://www.beyond.fr/sites/verdon.html
Old May 24th, 2004, 02:42 PM
EPC
Original Poster

Thank you so much for that suggestion. My only question is this.......is it a very "scary" drive? Is it like the roads around Cannes and down to Monte Carlo? I am a great driver in the city not so sure on mountain roads. Have you done this drive?
Old May 24th, 2004, 02:55 PM

Oui, I took that drive five years ago. I haven't driven around Cannes, but I guess it's <i>somewhat</i> comparable to the middle and high corniche roads between Nice and Monaco. It's scary in parts (and I wouldn't drive it in an old car with poor brakes ) but nothing, I'm sure, you wouldn't be able to handle.

Old May 24th, 2004, 03:44 PM

I would find driving the road around the Gorge du Verdon plenty scary, but then I don't like heights or winding mountain roads. The Moyen Corniche was enough for me!

The road from Moustiers-Ste-Marie over to Grasse is the Route Napoleon, which his army took when marching from the coast up to Paris. It's very scenic as it winds through the mountains. The small town of Castellanne is a delightful place to stop en route, with a large public square with parking. Grasse is a pretty town, but the drive from Nice to St.-Laurent will take a fair amount of time; I'd be inclined to skip visiting Grasse, especially as you'll go through it to pick up the Route Napoleon and can see it on the way.
Old May 24th, 2004, 05:08 PM
EPC
Original Poster

So what you are saying is the Napoleon route is a &quot;safer&quot; less &quot;scary&quot; route. I am not up for the heights and miniscule roads with nothing between the cliffs and the road. I donot want to repeat a Princess of Monaco accident! I think I will stick to the Les Arcs road to Draguignan, Flayosc, villecroze, Aups, Regusse, rtignosc and St.Laurent. Are any of these nice places to stop? Is this route
&quot;scenic&quot; as well? I appreciate any words of experience before I embark on my adventure! Thank you, thank you!!!
Old May 24th, 2004, 05:13 PM
EPC
Original Poster

I am focusing so much on my &quot;scenic&quot; drive....but in two days what are your BEST experiences in Paris? I know the Louvre, Musuem D'orsay, Rodin, the Opera House....What are any of your favorite areas to walk around in? Marais,the Latin quarter,Montmartre, the Jewish district, St. Germain??????
Old May 24th, 2004, 07:55 PM

The Les Arcs road is quite a nice drive, and Les Arcs itself is a good place to stop. There's a fine church, among other sights.

At which St-Laurent are you staying? There's a long list in the Michelin road atlas and my map doesn't show one near the Gorge du Verdon.
Old May 25th, 2004, 02:53 AM
EPC
Original Poster

I am staying at Le Moulin Du Chateau in St. Laurent du Verdon. It is near Quinson Lake and Bastide de Moustier.
Old May 25th, 2004, 02:54 AM
EPC
Original Poster

Sorry I mean near Moustier Ste Marie!
Old May 25th, 2004, 02:59 AM
EPC
Original Poster

By the way Capo thank you for the website on the Gorge it is very helpful!
Old May 25th, 2004, 07:17 AM

Not far off the road leading up from Les Arcs to Draguinan is the Abbaye du Thoronet, considered to be one of the finest still intact. See it if you possibly can.