1 afternoon and evening in Oslo

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it's ridiculous but due to time constraints and family obligations, we will only have 1 afternoon and evening before cathing the "Norway in an Nutshell" tour the next morning. We will be spending the next 2 nights in Bergen. If you had such limited time in Oslo (arriving at 1:30 pm in mid- September), what would you do?
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 02:08 AM

Depends on the weather, and what you like to do, and whether you will be jetlagged or not, but I would probably take a walk through Frognerparken (the famous statue garden) and/or go to the Bygdoy peninsula to visit the Folk Museum, KonTiki or Viking Museum, and then head over to the old port (Aker Brygge) for some beers and food and Norske style entertainment. There is also the wonderful Edvard Munch museum, but that might be a better bet if it is raining. And for a great view of the city you could go up to the Holmenkollen ski jump. Enjoy!!
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 03:05 AM

The last reply must be good - it takes the words from my mouth. Get the boat to Bygdøy from the quay near the Town Hall. The Folk museum and the Frognerspark are the very top but go in the Town Hall and look at the incredible murals if you can make time.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 03:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions. Where would you stay to be in the center of things with easy acess to transportation and hopefully a view? Any resturant suggestions?
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 02:29 AM

1:30, is that at the Gardermoen airport or at Torp? If the latter, be aware that transport into Oslo will take a couple of hours. In that case maybe dropping Oslo would be an idea, i.e. leaving the airport bus at Drammen and catch the afternoon Bergen express train from there. Hop off at Finse at the top of the mountains, and stay at the Finse 1222 hotel for the night. Next morning (around 12 I think), continue your Nutshell by the train a few stations to connect with the Flam rail at Myrdal. Then the Flam-Gudvangen sailing at 3. And why not make another overnight in the fjord area, at Stalheim hotel. Marvellous views. Then another daylight leg to Bergen, where you will arrive somewhere around 1 or 2. Bergen stay of course must be reduced to one overnight stay, but in sum I guess this schedule will give you really quality in a relaxed pace.<BR>If arriving at Gardermoen and suffer from the jet-lag, maybe you also should consider going direct to the mountains and have a nap or two while being carried by the train.<BR><BR>But if you still insist on Oslo, my advice is that you stay very central. The Scandic Byporten Hotel is situated right at the station area Oslo S, to where the airport express brings you and from where the Bergen express departs. Hotel Opera is another good alternative, a little more expensive maybe.<BR>Within your time limit it can be tough to get to the places with great city views. So why not cross over to the SAS Raddisson hotel and have a drink? In the top floor bar. An outside elvator takes you there, and from Oslo's highest building you will have marvellous sights.<BR>Then make a stroll. Locate the Karl Johan's street. It is the main street, connecting Oslo S and the Royal Castle. Walk that line! After some 150 metres youll get to a slope hill with the Oslo Dome to your right. Lots of small handicraft stores in its back-yard, and also nice outdoor cafes. If weather allows, relax there for a while.<BR>Further up the street youll get to the Parliament(the Storting), the Grand Hotel, the Studenterlunden (our Central park), the National theatre, the old University and then the Castle.<BR>In parallell to Karl Johan runs Storting's street. In this street, across the National thatre, youll find the Theatercafe, a masterpiece of an art nouveau restaurant. Fairly high prices, but a highly reputated restaurant and meeting point for the &quot;elites&quot;.<BR>From here it is not far down to the stown hall and the sea. When you return to the hotel, take the street Radhusgaten(Town hall street) along the back of old fortress. A stroll inside is really worthwile. When having passed the fortress you get to Christiania Torw (Christiania Square, Christiania is the former name of Oslo). Lots of cafes here too. I fancy Celcius, a very nice little restaurant with an outdoor garden. It is located behind a big wooden door in the leftmost corner of the square when you enter from the harbour.<BR>Further down the R&aring;dhus street take right at Kongen's gate (the King's Street) to get to Bankplassen. In the huge stone building the Museum of contemporary art is located. Opposite it, in a small 300 year old yellow building you'll have the Restaurant Engebret with it's very very special atmosphere.<BR>Now, if you follow the street Kirkegata (Church's street), youl get to Karl johan and the Dome in two minutes. Home!<BR>I forgot the Bygdoy ferry. In sept it still runs. Second stop is at the Polar ships and Kontiki. Worthwhile. Great seaside views. To get to the Viking ships, however, you should leve at the first sto and walk the app 700 metres to the museum. From there another walk, some 1000-1200 metres down to the Kontiki and Fram area. Then ferry back to town (10 minutes with fresh air and nice views)<BR>I've forgotten tons of things, but september is still far away...<BR>Welcome to Oslo<BR>Bjorn
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 02:34 AM

PS. What a mess my grammar and typos have yielded....
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all your terrific advice Bjorn. I am not flying into Torp, so I'll have to think about breaking up the trip as you suggested. If not your Oslo suggestions are wonderful. I will glady follow your advice!<BR>Thanks again, colleenk
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 02:44 AM

Weather is a little unpredictable in Sept. Anything from pissing rain thru brilliant days. My guess for Oslo is the latter, though. Towards the end of the month nights may get chilly. Outdoor serving declines accordingly.<BR>BTW: Nutshell tickets. Main agent is NSB (Norwegian Rail System) Easy to purchase in the NSB office, either at the airport or in the Oslo S ticket office. Seat reservation necessary on the express train legs (NOK 30 per seat). I cannot imagine that the moring train will be full any day in Sept.<BR> <BR>[email protected]