Worth it to upgrade cabin?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was thinking about upgrading our cabin for our 12-night Western Mediterranean cruise this Sep. I am going with my Mom and sister and we are worried about tripping over each other and getting on each other's nerves. Currently the three of us (all female) are staying in an ocean view cabin. Called Celebrity today and they have a guarantee of a family ocean view stateroom with verandah for an extra $3300 (total). So if they don't have any of these cabins, we are guaranteed to get a larger cabin (suite) for the same rate. Has anyone ever done this guarantee rate and if you have, what did you end up getting? Was getting the larger cabin worth it? We have 3 days at sea and the rest of the cruise will be packed with port visits, so we will theoretically only be in the room to sleep and shower. Part of me wants to save the money, but another part likes the idea of a larger cabin. Any thoughts?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Jul 17th, 2008, 08:20 AM

I think I would opt for the Veranda on the Mediterranean Cruise. Warm breezes (even in September) will make it a great addition to the space in your room, and give a spot to get away from the other two if they get on your nerves. It will be a wondreful place to sit and take in the beauty of the scenery and sea.

After all, that is what you hope to experience, and it sounds like you don't get to experience it very often, make the best of this opportunity.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 09:21 AM

My pocketbook might be crying about this...As I understand it, you will each be paying almost $100/day extra for a verandah, with a possibility of an upgrade to a suite. How much larger than your current ocean view is the family ocean view cabin with verandah? If there is little or no size difference, you could be paying that extra $$ just to get a balcony, with a possibility of an upgrade. If I could afford it, I would probably get the balcony cabin, but wouldn't count on getting the upgrade to a suite.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 09:54 AM

I just went on the Celebrity site, and if I was looking correctly, you'll have an extra 100 square feet of cabin space (not counting verandah). For three people, it looks worth it to me, especially since you might end up with something even larger.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 11:08 AM

We took a larger cabin with balcony on Celebriry this February in the Carribean. This was on an upper deck.It included some amenities that were not available in the smaller cabins.We will do it again.
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 04:52 AM

I tried to interpolate the info you gave and guess you're booked on the "Century". If that is the case, here is the cabin comparison at www.cruisestateroom.com

1. The upgrade from "Ocean View Balcony" to a "Family" cabin will increase your square footage from 170sf to 195 sf and provides a privacy screen between the double bed (room) and the sofa bed (room). Both have 42 sf balcony.

2. The upgrade from "Ocean View" cabin to lowest Suite Option increases from 170sf to 190 sf. with a 38sf balcony but offers extras: butler service, prioity on & off ship, comp bubbly, etc.

Photos of both cabin styles are shown on the website.
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Update: I ended up bookin a CC Class cabin which includes a verandah and has a slightly larger cabin, plus all the supposed "perks" of CC Class. I feel I made the right decision in getting a balcony as that will give us somewhere other than the cabin to escape to. It was about an extra $2000 when all is said and done...worth it to me for such a long cruise!