Can we bring alcohol in our luggage?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2004, 09:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Taking a cruise to Alaska in June. Are we allowed to bring alcohol in our luggage for consumption in our cabin? Any recommendations or info regarding the cruise would be appreciated.
Old May 31st, 2004, 09:28 PM
Original Poster

Addition: Our cruise is with Norwegian Cruise Lines.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 03:57 AM

The only time we have taken alcohol (bottles of wine) was on Carnival. We had it in our checked bags, not our carry-ons. There was no problem. We drank the wine in our cabin. Had we taken the wine to dinner, they would have charged a corkage fee to open it. If you do a search, you will find a number of threads on this subject here.

PS ALASKA is gorgeous! Enjoy! (bundle up though)
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 05:47 PM

Penny1
We have been on many cruises. Once we even bought alcohol on the pier just before boarding and know one said a word. Different rules for differnt ships. We always go RCL! Been with NCL but had to many service and food complaints to go back. However on past cruises every one carries liquor in the checked bags, keep it low profile and bring a sip cup, add alchol in the room and go upstairs for your soda or juice. We have observed many passengers who do this. Some even carry a closed cup of alcohol and then pour into cups and add ice and soda/juice. Be discreet!! Barb_and_Lou
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 05:27 AM

I hope no one gives you a snotty response. We also prefer RCCL. We bubble wrap a couple of bottles of our really good wine and pack it. This wine would probably cost us 100 bucks on the ship, and is not available anyway. We travel to wine regions, and enjoy corking these for special trips. We spend plenty of money on the ship, so guilt is not a factor. Bottom line, most people smuggle a bit of their own stuff, cabin stewards even ice it for you, LOL, the cruise line isn't losing that much and it's YOUR vacation so enjoy.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 01:12 PM
RBR

Having sailed on NCL recently I can tell you that your checked bags will be screened before going on the ship, if a bottle is spotted your bag will not be delievered to your cabin. You will notified and asked to go to an area on the ship after sailing. The food and beverage manager will be there. You will be asked to open your bag, if the bottle is in there it will taken by the manager and returned to you after the cruise. The same inspection will take place with your carry on bags, anything found will be taken.

You may have to come up with clever ways to get it aboard.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

To RBR - what do you propose we do? Is liquor very expensive on the NCL ships? This is our first cruise. Any suggestions on what to avoid or things we should not miss?
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:53 AM
Singletail

THE major revenue producer on all cruise ships is alcohol sales which is why they don't want you bringing yours aboard.

If you are unwilling to risk the possibility of having yours taken away from you and what I suspect is even worse, your embarrassment at disobeying the rules that the cruise line has very expressly printed out in their brochures AND even worse, your embarrassment at seeming to be some cheapskate who got caught...then chalk the liquor price up to the cost of cruising and spend the money...proabably a whole lotg cheaper than those CDs you just bought or those cosmetics.

Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 05:35 AM

Penny,

NCL is notorious for being the most Draconian in its methods for policing alcohol smuggling. Almost to the point of ridiculousness. I read that they confiscated a tube of Aloe thinking it might be alcohol.

I don't think you should be embarrassed for bringing alcohol onboard, afterall, it's a widely accepted practice when staying at resorts and hotels, no one will stop you from bringing your favorite beverage to enjoy in the privacy of your room.

Try putting a clear beverage into an emptied water bottle that you carry on in your hand at embarkation in plain sight of the screeners. I doubt you'll be interoggated during the rush of embarkation, the screeners have more important things to be looking for.

Don't put it in checked luggage. Good luck, and remember, you can bring on mixers and sodas no problem.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

To Singletail: I don't buy CD's I download them off the net, and I don't wear makeup. I don't want to spoil my natural beauty!
To Nina: I think it's ridiculous too. We don't need to go as far as carrying it in a water bottle, but my husband might think otherwise.
Thanks to everyone who replied to my post.