Reload this Page >

Window or Balcony on an Alaskan Cruise?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 03:58 PM
Monica

Hi fellow fodorites, <BR> <BR>I am planning to take an Alaskan cruise next June and was wondering if we should get a room with a window or a balcony. From the various weather web sites, June is in the 50/60s, so my question is: Is it worth to get a room with a baloncy? Or will it be too cold to be outside, considering the winds as the ship sails. I would appreciate your comments and suggestions! I'm considering either Princess or Celebrity (with Celebrity as my first choice based on comments about the great food on board). Thanks in advance! <BR> <BR>Monica <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 04:50 PM
Gail

I have never felt it was necessary to get a balcony on my Caribbean cruises, but I was REALLY glad I got one for my Alaskan cruise. You are in sight of land for most of the trip and it is a sight to behold! I just loved sitting on the balcony and enjoying the splendor. Especially the day in Glacier Bay. EVeryone was crowded on the top deck and after a while we just went to our balcony and took in the beauty in comfort.

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 07:38 PM
April

It depends on you. A friend nearly *lived* on her balcony. We didn't - it was just a little too chilly for me (although I should mention it was warmer than I expected). I would be out on one more in a warm climate. Still, I always prefer to be able to take in the view from a balcony and to get fresh air. <BR> <BR>I was glad also to have it for the same reason as Gail, the glacier. After wandering the crowded deck we settled on our own balcony and ordered in hot chocolate. The ship rotated so everyone got a good view. <BR> <BR>The person here who recommended taking light gloves for the day at the glacier had the right idea.

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 10:21 PM
Paul Therault

<BR>Hi Monica, <BR> <BR>I am another cruiser that ops for a balcony especially in Alaska. You are next to the warmth of your cabin and you do not have to run up on deck when there is a whale or bear sighting unless it is on the opposite side of the ship. <BR> <BR>Also you will stay dry if it is raining. <BR> <BR>Another tidbit is to sail in July and August when the weather is warm. <BR> <BR>I would say it is worth the extra money. <BR> <BR>Paul

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 03:56 AM
Monica

Thanks everyone for your information! I'll certainly get a room with a balcony, bring my light gloves, and order some hot chocolate, unless we go in July! (August is out because of my job).

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 04:20 AM
abc

Monica, <BR>We just returned from an Alaskan cruise. Our inside room on RCL was larger than the outside windowed room of some people we met onboard. We didn't spend any time in the room except to sleep and change clothes. Given the fact that we paid so much less for the insider, we were able to afford three weeks in Alaska for the cost of just one balconied cabin for one week. If money isn't an object, go for it. If it is, given the fact that you'll probably want to do sightseeing along the way -- and those side trips are expensive--, then go for the less expensive cabin.

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 03:13 AM
Carol

Being a travel professional, my personal view on Alaska is either book an inside or a balcony. Forget the outside cabin unless you are claustrophobic. <BR> <BR>My reasons for the balcony is the rude-ness that prevails particularly if you are in Glacier Bay or some other particular scenic spot. Hordes of people crowd the outside areas of the ship - and obviously, particularly the rail, so it becomes very difficult to take good pictures, etc. I had a balcony on my first trip to Alaska, but decided to go to the top deck to "feel" <BR>the majesty of Alaska all around me. It was a nightmare....I couldn't wait to get back to my cabin. <BR> <BR>I had also scheduled a group picture for that morning, and when the photographer politely asked some of the people hogging the rail to move, they refused. So consequently, I have 6 people in my group picture with their backs showing. <BR> <BR>You can't get a real appreciation of the beauty from a cabin with a window, so if budget is an issue, I think you'll find the inside cabins quite acceptable (and then hopefully you'll meet someone with a balcony cabin and they'll invite you to THEIR balcony). <BR> <BR>I just got back last Friday from taking 80 people on Celebrity Mercury. It was the same deal all over again. I covet my balcony cabin.......but I do think it's a luxury and not necessarily important on all cruises (particularly port-intensive cruises where you're never on the ship). <BR> <BR>Whichever you choose, you'll have a wonderful time, I'm sure.

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 03:57 AM
Monica

Just to let everyone know, we've decided to get a room with a balcony. I haven't priced rooms yet for next June or July, but I know we'll be able to afford it. Now it's deciding between Celebrity Infinity or Sea Princess on Princess. Thanks again!

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 04:09 PM
Gail

You made a good decision. Have a great time.

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 05:09 PM
Theresa

I would go Princess!

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 04:08 AM
Mnoica

Hi Theresa, <BR> <BR>I'd like to hear your comments about Princess. I'm leaning towards Celebrity (Infinity) based on my research. Both seem neck and neck with each other. And I have read the recent posting about these two companies.

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 04:16 AM
Carol

Hi Monica - I know you addressed this to Theresa, but I love to put in my 2 cents worth! <BR> <BR>While I was on the Mercury last week in Alaska, the Infinity was with us in many ports. <BR> <BR>Every passenger I met from that ship did nothing but rave about it. I didn't hear one negative. <BR> <BR>Also, our waiter had just been moved from the Infinity to the Mercury (because Mercury was short of waiters). He and his wife had been on the Infiniti for several months. While he very much seemed to like the Mercury, he said the Infinite was incredible. <BR> <BR>So there you have it......whatever you choose, you'll have a wonderful time, I'm sure.

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 06:06 AM
Monica

Thanks Carol for your comments! When I start to read negative comments about Celebrity, I start to think Princess; then when I read good comments such as your, I go back to Celebrity.

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 10:45 AM
Theresa

I have to say that the Millennium was the most beautiful ship I have ever been on. She is indeed a beauty! The dining room is gorgeous, the decorating is wonderful, etc. . <BR> <BR>But our service and food were not up to par. We had sailed Princess (Grand) 3 months previously to the Millennium and could easily compare the two. Though the Grand is not as beautiful - we found her more functional as a ship. <BR> <BR>Another major complaint was "food availability" on Millennium. I often returned to the ship at 3 pm to not find any food whatsoever on the ship but room service. The ocean cafe is open from 12-2 for lunch. It opens for broth for an hour, etc. . I was hungry when I returned twice and my only choice was room service. On Princess - they have Horizon Court which is a buffet - open with "real food" 24 hours a day. I actually lost weight on the Millennium which I didn't think was possible on a cruise. <BR> <BR>We had poor service on the Millennium. We had 3 in our cabin and could not get enough towels for 3 - they refused. We asked for ice in our room daily, it never happened. Our waiter at dinner was just as bad - our food had to be sent back constantly (ordered medium rare - received very well done, etc. . ), and we were often rushed through dinner. Our desserts would just arrive while they are telling us to leave the dining room. The food quality also was not that good. <BR> <BR>I guess if we had a different waiter, different table and different room steward - our opinions may be different. <BR> <BR>On Princess - our room steward greeted me by name each time she saw me, she went out of her way to help in any possible way and our dinner was always ordered and prepared correctly. Our waitress took the time to get to know our names, she learned what we liked every night (coke with meals), etc.. <BR> <BR>Also - I enjoyed Princess' ship experience better. I like to shop a little and there is only one shop on Millennium I could afford - the Celebrity store. All other shops were like shopping at the most expensive store in town (polos were $90). <BR> <BR>I also prefer the pools on Princess - they are fresh water and open all the time. On the Grand/Star/Golden - there is an inside pool that has a retractable roof that can be opened/closed due to weather. <BR> <BR>Entertainment was also better on Princess. <BR> <BR>If you do go Celebrity - look at booking an aft balcony. We were in cabin #8176 and we had a 10 x 20' balcony - it was huge!. <BR> <BR>Hope this explains my response. Given different waiters/room stewards - our cruise would have been much more pleasant but overall - I still like the freindliness of Princess' staff and the ship "mood". I also preferred the food on Princess.

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 10:49 AM
Theresa

I would definitely book a balcony for an Alaskan trip. I would be more opt to in Alaska than Caribbean.

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 07:08 PM
xxx

Monica, <BR>Just remember these are "travel professionals" who are recommending that you purchase the balcony. They love their because they get them at the "travel professional" rate -- which is way below what everyone else pays. Plus they get their commissions on them too, so they might as well recommend the one that pays them the most.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 05:35 AM
Frank

Monica: We recently had a balcony on a 4 day cruise to Nova Scotia on the Victory. We paid about $50 per person extra for the balcony so we thought we would try it. The following are my thoughts: <BR> <BR>1) Although the weather was in the 70's, the balcony was chilly since it was mostly in the shade due to the overhang of the balcony above. <BR> <BR>2) Since the balcony is small, you can't stretch out on a lounge chair like you would on a deck. <BR> <BR>3) You get a good view of your side of the ship, but for a real panorama, you have to be on the top decks. <BR> <BR>4) You can't easily get food, ice cream, snacks or drinks like you can on the decks, without hassling with room service. <BR> <BR> Our bottom line is that we wouldn't pay more than $100 per person extra for a balcony. Many ships charge an extra several hundred dollars per person and that money is better spent on the shore excursions. If you are the type of person that likes to spend lots of time alone, than a balcony may suit you but we would rather be where the action is and amongst our fellow passengers. We probably spent a total of 2 hours on the balcony over the entire 4 days. But everyone is different and you have to decide for yourself. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 09:40 AM
Monica

Very good point Frank about not having easy access to food/drinks/etc. When I call travel agents, I’ll have to have them give me several prices for the various types of rooms (inside, window, and balcony). There’s lot to consider in a cruise and I appreciate everyone’s comments. I’m even now leaning towards Princess. One travel agent told me today that Princess has rights over other ships when it comes to cruising around the glaciers. And I was told that they have the best excursions over the others. Time for more research and phone calls to travel agents! <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 10:35 AM
Frank

Monica: Just for the fun of it, have your travel agent give you pricing on the Carnival Spirit. You will save many hundreds of dollars for a comparable or larger cabin, and be on one of the newest ships in Alaska and the top of the line in Carnival's fleet. The ship has gotten great reviews, and it features a nightclub with gourmet dinning (extra cost). <BR> <BR>I know it is fashionable on this forum to discount Carnival, but do yourself a favor and check all options. You may be surprised at the quality of Carnival's offering considering the price. Many people haven't traveled Carnival in the past few years but the Destiny and Spirit class ships have the best entertainment and totally upgraded dining experiences. <BR> <BR>Keep in mind that the destination, weather and many of the excursions are the same regardless of the line you choose. <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 07:07 PM
April

About not having easy access to food/drinks/etc., this depends also. We had the butler service on the Infinity so there was no hassle, no wait involved. People on the decks were offered hot chocolate in mugs that they had to pay for. Also I really liked having afternoon tea brought to our cabin every day. Not that I'm trying to sway you to Celebrity. If I were to go again I'd love to try Princess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -