Reload this Page >

Windjammer...Yeah or nay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2001, 12:58 PM
Meapale

I happened to come across the Windjammer site, and I just want to know if anyone has any info. <BR> <BR>No offense, but large Cruise ships just aren't my thing. If i were ever to take a cruise, it would have to be a sailing cruise on a tall ship. <BR> <BR>

Old May 17th, 2001, 03:29 PM
fran

<BR>Best Cruise I've ever taken and I've taken lots. For fun it can't be beat! Email directly if you want more info.

Old May 17th, 2001, 07:36 PM
Paul Therault

<BR>You bet! And for a more upscale cruise try Windstar. <BR> <BR>Paul

Old May 18th, 2001, 02:31 AM
Pam

I've spent 11 weeks on Windjammer over the past 12 years. It's the most relaxing vacation you'll ever take. Unpack once and visit a different island every day. You can be as active or inactive as you want. No TV, radio, newspaper or telephone. No cruise director to lead morning aerobics. Three good meals a day but no ice sculpture. No dressing for dinner (well, you do need to wear clothes unless you're on a nude cruise). Packing is very easy - shorts, Ts, bathing suit. Lots of beach time. No need to think about where you're going or when you'll get there - that's the Captain's job. The biggest decisions each day consist of what SPF sunscreen to put on, when to have your first adult beverage and whether to go to shore or swim off the side of the ship. It's such a great time I think I'll add weeks 12 and 13 this November. Glad to supply more info if you decide it's for you!

Old May 18th, 2001, 11:56 AM
Laura

Hi Pam, <BR> <BR>I've always been interested in Windjammer. What age group are most of the passengers? Also, is it mostly couples or singles, or a mix? Thanks, Laura.

Old May 18th, 2001, 01:45 PM
Pam

Hi Laura - <BR>You will find a mix of singles and couples on every ship and all ages. We take the two week itinerary on Mandalay and the crowd tends to be mostly couples and around 35 - 55. You never know though. One trip we had several newly wed couples in the late 20 to early 30 age group. The one week cruises generally attract a younger crowd, both singles and couples, but you'll still find a mix of ages. If you're looking for singles, there are a number of designated singles cruises throughout the year. Check their website for those dates. Windjammers are a laid back group and everyone just hangs out with everyone. No problem, couples, singles, old, young, whatever - everyone gets included. There are a couple of ships with 'Junior Jammer' programs that you may, or may not, want to avoid. Other than that, you won't encounter many kids. Once again, the website will help with that info. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps. Glad to provide more info if you want.

Old May 18th, 2001, 01:53 PM
Laura

Pam, <BR> <BR>Thanks for the info. Always thought Windjammer would be alot of fun. Going to have to talk to some friends and see if anybody else is interested!

Old May 18th, 2001, 05:25 PM
Fran

<BR>Laura, <BR>If you can't find any friends, do a singles cruise. Unlike singles cruises on regular cruises, 95% of the passengers will be solo. That "forces" everyone to be open, outgoing and extremely friendly. My singles cruise consisted mostly of people in their 30's, 40's with a few in their 50's, one 20 and one 60 year olds.

Old May 22nd, 2001, 12:18 PM
Terri

Yea! We just took a windjammer cruise on the Flying Cloud in April. We had a wonderful time. Very relaxed and casual. Loved stopping on a different island everyday and being able to spend lots of time on the beach. A few years ago we took a cruise on a big ship and we definitely prefer the windjammer. We plan to do it again sometime. Very unlikely to do a big ship cruise again. <BR> <BR>Terri <BR> <BR>

Old May 31st, 2001, 09:26 AM
Meapale

Just got the Windjammer brochure, and I'm really excited about the idea of doing this instead of being land locked. <BR> <BR>The hardest part is picking a route to go with. They all seem so wonderful. I think we may be leaning towards the Polynesia. <BR> <BR>Which route is the best in your opinion, and why? Anyone been on one of their themed routes? Like the Mystery Cruise?

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 08:33 AM
barb

I have always thought this would be the way to go if taking a cruise. I'm not crazy about the idea of a huge ship with thousands of people and designated meal times. However, my BF (a wimp) gets motion sick on a merry-go-round. How does the motion of these smaller ships compare to the larger Carnival type ships?? If I booked the trip of MY dreams, would he be sick the whole time??

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 03:35 AM
BoB

Contrary to what some people will say Windjammers CAN invlove motion sickenss. On the Yankee Clipper (the first night) and the Mandalay on the first night 13 dayer shouth bound)there was A LOT of sea sickness and thats the truth. <BR>My wife who is a motion sicknes queen was the first to go on the Yankee Clipper (Grenada to Bequia) Then she heard about the patch (Scopolomine) and has not had a problem since. <BR>The flying Cloud was no problem because she motors/sails around the the BVI (a big bathtub (no sea sickness here). <BR>On the Mandalay between Antigua and Nevis the first night is as big time rock and roll and a lot of people wee down hard, but with the patch my wife had no problem. <BR>Interesting we met the Yankee Clipper at Palm Island suring the second week and talked to a coule of people and they said that o the leg for Grenada to Bequia EVERY passenger (I believe she said 40 something) was in sick in some manner. <BR>There are a number of motion sickenss remedies we recommend the patch. Mhy wife has never had an adveerse reaction nor felt anyh side affects.

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 06:05 AM
Andy

Barb--just got off WINDSURF (part of Windstar cruise lines)-ship holds 300 people but is 5 masted sailing yacht---was incredible-did the Western Med-great ports-food on ship fantastic-very low key upscale casual elegant-dinner: men polo shirts and khakis and women linen slax and silk shirts or nice sundresses--VERY RELAXED--the other Windstar ships are limited to 120 passengers and you have more chance of motion sickness--we felt NOTHING on this small boat----ALSO BRING A PERSCRIPTION DRUG CALLED ANTIVERT FROM YOUR MD_it prevents motion sickness and is MUCH better than the patch--have been using it for 25 years. Will definitely go on this ship again!!!!!! <BR>People were a good mix-all very friendly-staff was nice-cabins larger than ship we normally take to caribbean-lots clothing storage space-room service--first class but VERY CASUAL.

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 04:27 PM
Sally

<BR>I've taken 10 cruises and my WJ was the 2nd smoothest. I am not aware of a single person who suffered from sea sickness on that trip.