Reload this Page >

why pay TA commission?

Search

why pay TA commission?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 01:09 PM
j

why pay TA commission?

Hi Everyone, <BR>I have learned so much on this site, I am now hoping someone "in the know" can answer this question. <BR>If I know what ship I want to sail on, which date, Category, etc., why can't I just call the Cruise Line directly and have them pay ME the Travel Agent's commission? <BR>It is only a matter of about a 5-10 minute telephone conversation. I don't need any "helpful advice" from a T.A. I have done all the legwork already. <BR>Any answers appreciated. Thanks. J

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 03:46 PM
Deb

J, <BR>First of all a lot of the Cruise Lines are now referring potential Cruisers to Travel Agents and NOT allowing them to book directly with the line. <BR> <BR>Secondly, Cruise Lines aren't going to reduce your cruise rate if you don't book through a Travel Agent. AND THEY WON'T PAY YOU A COMMISSION !! They will charge you the same and keep the extra for themselves. <BR> <BR>Thirdly, <BR>Agent's know what they are doing and they work hard for their customers. Most agents that book cruises get better rates than you can yourself and get amenities for their customers that you cannot obtain for yourself. <BR>They also keep tabs on the sailing and frequently check with the cruise lines to see if the Category you are booked in has gone down in price. If it has, they get the cruise lines to reduce your fare, it is a NEVER ENDING job.... <BR> <BR>And lastly, I can tell you horror stories about people booking their own cruises, stories you wouldn't believe ... <BR> <BR>Did I scare you yet ?? If not, you should be. Let the Agents do their job. You'll enjoy your cruise a whole lot more !! <BR>

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 06:42 PM
Kris

Every time we've booked a cruise through our travel agent, she's called us 2-3 months later to tell us that our cabin has been upgraded. Sometimes she'll call and tell us that the price has dropped and we will end up paying less for the cruise. I wouldn't book w/ anyone else BUT a TA.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 07:28 PM
Techydude

Every single time I have booked with a TA they have managed to screw it up. Puerto Rico, Cruises, etc... When I have done it on line. France, Cancun, etc... I have had a wonderful time. <BR> <BR>They refer them to TA's so as to have a buffer if the poo poo hits the fan. Don't be so naive. I can book a cruise 20% or more cheaper on my own than any TA. You know why? With the internet I have the same resources and don't pay anybody commission. The only down side is that I have to do some research. Instead of expecting someone else to do it for me. You just have to know how to look. Don't be lazy. Save yourself some money. TA's are just like any bad teacher trying to justify their existance by making something seem more difficult than it is.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 10:41 PM
Paul Therault

<BR>I would advise booking with a travel agent unless you are very travel savy. In this day and age many things can go wrong with a vacation and a vacation should be stress free. <BR> <BR>Most travel agents (notice I said most) work very hard to make a living and are very low paid. <BR> <BR>Granted mistakes are made by travel agents at times (only human beings) but they more than likey can rectify them. <BR> <BR>You are not buying a toaster you know. You are spending sometimes many thousands for your hard-earned vacation and some vacations are the trips of a lifetime. Do not let your wallet take over for your brain. <BR> <BR>If you are booking over the net make sure you ask many questions and make sure you get the proper answer. See if you can call them day and night and also on weekends and holidays. Also make sure you get a cruise-line booking number and a reciept for money paid from the cruise line and from the travel agent. <BR> <BR>If you purchase your own air make sure you get paper tickets and not electronic. <BR> <BR>There are many items that are important and are too varied to get into on this forum. <BR> <BR>Do not listen to Techydude, he is one of the aggravator posters on this forum. He is entitled to his opinion and apparently has never been burnt. Probably is travel savy and knows what to look for if things go wrong maybe he has the time to rectify the situation before he leaves on his vacation. <BR> <BR>Paul

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 05:44 AM
phil

Paul I understand your point of view. I find that you unfortunately are part of a dying breed (service oriented). For instance the whole "Greg" scenario with RCCL. His travel agent never helped him at all. In fact it is my understanding that he has or had taken them to court in order for them to own up to their mistakes. This could be a major contributer to people like techydude and his viewpoint. The smaller operations like yours (just a guess) are hard pressed to compete with the large TA corporations that don't offer any more than can be gotten on your own. <BR> <BR>So I guess the better way to look at it would be the same as a good car mechanic. If you have one count yourself lucky. If not find one and don't share (haha).

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 08:39 AM
hamlet

I believe I am more knowledgeable than the average person when it comes to booking travel and could handle making my own arrangements. However, for a cruise that would cost me the same whether I booked myself or let a TA book, I would choose the TA. Firstly, I would rather the TA earn a commission rather than hand over a few more dollars to the cruiseline. Secondly, if something were to not be right over the cruise and I wanted some recourse(not talking about TA losing booking or something like that) , I would prefer backup from a travel agent rather than me alone. Thirdly, booking with a TA, chances are I'll get some other perk - a fruit basket in my cabin, a bottle of wine, etc. to welcome me on board.... just a nice gesture that the cruiseline wouldn't do for me unless I was on my 1000th day at sea or whatever.

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 10:08 AM
no-one

Jesus Christ, do you go to Ford Motor Company in Detroit to buy a car??&gt;?&gt; <BR> <BR>Get a freaking brain you ass

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 10:26 AM
xx

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR !! GOOD LUCK BOOKING YOUR CRUISE ON YOUR OWN, YOU'LL NEED IT DESERATELY...............

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 11:42 AM
sable

NO-One, <BR>What's your problem? All the poster wanted was some information. Why did you find it necessary to write such an ignorant post. <BR>Actually, I think the T.A. commission question and the previous replies were very enlightening. I bet several people benefitted from the shared information about this topic and isn't that what this site is all about?

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 12:15 PM
no one

I have owned an agency for 20 years. My client list grows everyday with referrals and may I add, my clients expect and deserve the best and they get it. I go over the top and beyond for them and will continue to do so. Let me out it in a nutshell,,,,,,, some people go to Walmart to buy a knife - my clients buy the Professional Henckels <BR>Series, the best - and that's why they repeatedly come back, they are not bargain basement type. Well heeled, well traveled and I give them great value and excellent prices accompanied by superior service. And these type of travellers know exactly what they want - and I deliver.

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 01:00 PM
anna

I used the internet to begin my research for a cruise. I checked the cruise company's website and found their best price for my cruise. The cruise company called me directly (from the registration info I placed at their website) and i tried to negotiate a lower price (informed them I was a past guest, albeit 17 years ago, and that hubby will be eligable for AARP in 2 months) but they held firm. I followed the advice in the latest issue of Expedia Travels magazine (see related post on this site titled Expedia Travels Magazine) and the web led me to, of all things, a TRAVEL AGENT, who quoted me a price that was $145 per person LOWER than the price the cruise line or our local agent quoted. (And yes, it does include port charges and federal taxes). The agent belongs to CLIA and their local BBB and I checked them out before booking. They were very helpful over the phone and by e-mail. I will certainly let everyone on every travel board I can find know if I have major problems with them, but so far, so good. The way we found them was through the Bargain Finder feature at Cruisemates.com. We posted an anonymous ad telling where we wanted to go, when, what ship, and how many people and they e-mailed back through the website their best offer. We had 5 offers within hours. 3 were exactly what the cruise line had quoted, and two were more than $100 lower. It's pretty cool. The TA also said they will keep an eye on the price of that cruise and notify us if it drops so we can get the lower price. They also steered us to travel insurance that's a couple bucks cheaper than what the cruise line was offering.

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 02:46 PM
what you see

Travel agents are worth their weight in gold---I have always gotten good service and have someone to look out for me if something messes up... <BR>TO try and save my self $100 is defeating the purpose of getting good service..My agent works for every dime(small as it is) that she gets---and <BR>when you say you got your cabin $145 less than 3 other agents on line quoted you--think again---your agent either gave you back part of her comission (in order to get your business) or she had a group booked and put you in that group. <BR> <BR>There are no free lunches---just hope the agent that gave you the great rate stands behind you and doesn't just owrk on volume and no service. <BR> <BR>My agent goes out of her way to help advise me--and the thing SHE hates most is people who get the info off the internet,come into her office,pick her brain about all the excursions on line (that they can't get info for) and THEN have the audacity to book on line--- <BR> <BR>Do YOU work for nothing??!!!! <BR>

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 04:26 PM
anna

Excuse me, but the agent VOLUNTARILY gave me her bid. She was free to accept or decline my business at that price. This is a FREE ENTERPRISE system. She could just as easily have flipped past my post and gone her merry way, but she did not. I did not pick her brain or get any free information from her. I got her bid, I did all my own research on the cruise and the ship and told her what we wanted. All she gave us was a price, and if she gave up part of her commission to get our business that was her choice. And I am not just trying to save $100. There are 5 of us and this is saving us over $700. If you read the article in Expedia Travels you will see that passengers on any cruise ship regularly pay widely differing prices for the same cabin. Perhaps she decided a lower commission multiplied by 5 was worth it to her to book someone who knew exactly what they wanted and when they wanted it and was ready to book on the spot without making her phone a bunch of cruise lines and hemming and hawing about what cabin to choose and which islands are better and which line is better for the kids and who knows what else. IT WAS HER CHOICE.

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 05:59 PM
Kathy

<BR>You will never get the best price from the cruise line going direct. Research then ask a TA if they can beat it. I use whoever gives the best rate. I've NEVER had a TA help when I've needed it and the only problems I've had in 20 years of travel have been when i used a TA.

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 06:30 PM
xxx

Hey "No One". Get your head our of yours. If you were reputable and respectable you one would not speak to others like you did in previous posts. <BR> <BR>Please post the name of your agency I would hate to inadvertently send business your way with a infantile attiutde like yours.

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 02:09 PM
aaa

Here her for "No One"--she seems like a very hardworking reputable agent who does exactly what her clients expect of her--give them good service and be extremely knowledgeable-- <BR>Hats off to her for her honesty!

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 03:25 PM
xxx

Hey aaa whatever are you thinking. Here is a grown adult that is supposed to be a professional business person calling people names. And how did you know that no one is a she? There is no mention of gender in "no one's" posts. Very fishy indeed.

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 05:22 PM
Kathy

<BR>There is no doubt who wrote the "here here" post. I was also shocked that a TA would post such a reply.

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 11:56 PM
Paul Therault

<BR>I will agree with Phil on one point and that is web-based companies book up quite a few cabins on a ship at an extremely low group rate. TA' s definitely can not compete and do not wish to. <BR> <BR>Disagree that small agencies are a dying breed, as a matter of fact it is growing. Many people do not have the time in this rushed society to study areas of interest or have any desire to spend hours surfing the net. Small agencies have a great base of return customers and also those that come in by word of mouth it is unnecessary to advertise. What customer would'nt love a video of their ship and of the ports. Also sample menus, activity sheets, children's program info, port info, ship reviews, postcards, etc. etc. etc. <BR> <BR>Some people do not want this type of service and some do not care. TA's say fine. <BR> <BR>Another bit of information, small agencies usually belong to large consortiums that are web-based therefore those agencies can stay very competitive. <BR> <BR>As far as Greg is concerned he is not going to sue anybody. He got brought into this high-school mentality forum and tried to defend himself. He just dug himself in deeper. He knows he could not blame his TA for his misfortune. <BR> <BR>Paul