Reload this Page >

Who is Canceling?

Search

Who is Canceling?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 02:24 PM
Fred

Who is Canceling?

I have heard that many people are canceling their cruise holidays. I for one, don't plan to cancel and have in fact flown recently in North America and even to the Middle East (Israel). Of course I was nervous, but it's not really safe anywhere anymore, so we might as well get on with living, and that's why I am still traveling and won't be canceling my cruise holiday unless the cruiseline goes bankrupt.

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 04:39 PM
Sue

<BR>Fred, I'm with you, I've been online booking away. The deals are incredible and I've also gotten rid of my miles with airlines in which I don't fly much. I believe I'm safer anywhere else besides the US. Altho I was in DC last weekend and my luggage went w/o me, so much for security.

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 11:03 PM
Paul Therault

<BR>Yes Sue, airlines do not do a very good job of sending luggage to the correct destination. The past year it has been terrible. More and more travelers are not finding their luggage when they arrive at their final destination. <BR> <BR>Usually your "lost" luggage arrives within 24 hours this is why insurance policies pay you only after 24 hours. <BR> <BR>Here's a hint that may work. When you check your luggage ask the reservation agent what the sticker reads that he/she is putting on your luggage handle. If it is incorrect, the error will be caught. <BR> <BR>Also always take a full day of clothes in your carry-on. <BR> <BR>Lost luggage is not a security issue. It is just ineptness. <BR> <BR>Paul

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 04:17 PM
Sue

<BR>Paul, <BR>You are terribly wrong!. I ALWAYS look at the tag on my luggage to be sure it is correct. My luggage went to the CORRECT location just not on the same flight. Please reread carefully. I fly at least once a month and HAD a complete set of clothing WITH me on the plane. I travel a lot and know how to fly as well as how to get the best deals. I NEVER have problems other than when I use TAs since I only have to be concerned with only MY arrangements. Again, I have not stopped traveling, however, don't feel security is any better, just more time consuming. Just today heard about a gun on a SWA plane.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 04:55 PM
Sandy

Can you please explain how it is the TA's fault if your luggage is lost?? That really is a giant leap!!

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 04:59 PM
xxx

Wow Sue, ever think of anger management classes? Think one is needed!

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 05:59 PM
Bill

<BR>Sandy,' <BR>Where is it you see a post blaming a TA for lost luggage? <BR> <BR>We all need anger management right now, what we don't need is someone else telling us that. Good for Fred and Sue who are still traveling!

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 06:03 PM
Sandy

I am under the impression that Sue was blaming the TA as she said she never has problems unless she uses a travel agent. I just don't get the connection!

Old Oct 26th, 2001, 02:43 PM
xxx

Bill: Please don't assume that we all need anger management classes right now. I asked Sue the question because of the way she tore into the previous poster. IMHO it was unnecessary since he was just trying to offer his opinion. I think the course that some people need Bill is "Where to find a sense of humor!"

Old Oct 26th, 2001, 03:38 PM
Tracey

I am not cancelling! <BR> <BR>I can't wait to escape from all this and have a relaxing weekend in the Caribbean.

Old Oct 26th, 2001, 04:00 PM
Gail

<BR>It appears some of you are new to the Cruise section of this site. Paul often attacks others who disagree with him. He often puts down those of us who book everything online cuz we don't use TAs. I'm sure that's where Sue was coming from, she has obviously read Paul's responses and like so many of us, have had him "attack" her. I also don't see where she blamed a TA for lost luggage. Again, for those of you who are new to this site, you will discover the cruise section to be rather negative unlike the other sections.

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 02:52 AM
Paul Therault

<BR>Sorry Gail, I do not "attack" anyone. You have to read my post carefully. <BR> <BR>Fodors is a negative site. <BR> <BR>If I "attacked" you, please let me know and will attempt to clarify. <BR> <BR>Paul

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 07:49 PM
xxx

Gail: I am not new to this site at all. I discovered it several months ago. I did not feel that Pauls response was an attack. Now if you feel there is so much negativity here why do you stay? Cruisecritic.com is a good site. Go there instead! Now as far as anyone cancelling their vacations..you have to do what you feel is right for yourself and your family. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. It's your money and your decision!

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 08:23 PM
Andy

Fred- I am NOT cancelling--I refuse to let the$%#? 's win-- THe cruises seem well protected and the airlines are doing their darndest to keep us safe--I feel I can't live in a box and never leave......So vacations will go on as planned--both in and out of the USA!!!

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 08:58 PM
Paul Therault

<BR>Bravo!

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 09:37 AM
judy cuervo

I just returned last week from 10 days aboard Silversea's Silver Whisper and I can assure you that security was outstanding. Most were American ports and at each one, for the entire time we were docked (a few overnighters), there was at least one police boat circling the ship continuously with them prohibiting any boat to come closer than...I think it was 300 feet...to us and they couldn't use their motors even at that distance. Several security points also existed with regard to getting back on board, the first being quite a distance from the ship. At the airport in Nassau security for USAir was also good...but it was odd. We had to put cigarette lighters and matches into checked baggage yet when we got to the bar in the termnial, passengers from other airlines were lighting up with lighters they obviously didn't have to check.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 10:16 AM
Fred

I am glad to hear that people are not canceling and further the lengths that the Coast Gaurd etc are going to in order to protect the ships! I agree that we cannot let the enemy win and we must go on with our lives. All work and no play? No way!

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 11:26 AM
Michelle

Paul, <BR> <BR>As usual, your an idiot. <BR> <BR>Bye bye.

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 05:57 AM
betty

Glad to hear that people are still travelling in order to help save our countries from economic disaster (America and Canada). I had some convincing to do for my travel partner who was concerned following the WTC disaster on Sept. 11th. She has now agreed that we cannot be intimidated by the cowards of this world and is going on our cruise - thank goodness. Looking forward to my fifth cruise with Celebrity!

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 06:47 AM
Deb

I never was a huge fan of flying so that is not really an issue for me now, but I am taking my first cruise in early summer and never really thought about security much until I read this post. I too believe that we must keep traveling, spending money to keep the economy moving, and going on with our everyday lives. Have the cruise ships addressed the security issue since 9/11? Is it up to each line or more collectively like the airlines. By the way, I am still going (Canada) and looking forward to it. By the way, I am new to this site and was just wondering if Paul was a travel agent?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -