Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Which side of ship on Alaska Northbound?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2000, 06:05 AM
Ginger

We are taking the Northbound Vancouver to Anchorage on Princess and I feel so dumb but do not know which side of the ship to ask for to get the best view. I had thought the starboard ( shore side ) but our agent suggested the port side. Which should we go with? Are the glaciers all out away from land or what? We don't want to waste the balcony. We are running out of time on this.

Old Jun 9th, 2000, 01:31 PM
Susan

In Alaska, it doesn't matter which side you are on as both sides are beautiful. Definately is worth to get a balcony because that way you don't have to stand and jockey for position on the deck. You can see fine on the balcony with a little added protection from the wind.

Old Jun 9th, 2000, 04:04 PM
Karen

We were also concerned about this and requested shore side and received the other side. As it turned out, it didn't make a bit of difference as there were plenty of land masses to see on both sides while going through the Inland Passage...although, our weather was so bad while on the ship...very foggy, overcast and rainy, we actually couldn't see much of anything at all. Luckily, we were only on three nights and got off at Skagway to go on the eight night inland tour and that was great in every way.