Which Seasickness medicine?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2004, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dramamine makes me extremely sleeply. I've read about Bonine, Marazine, and Meclizine. Any opinions on the one that works best without making you sleepy?
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 02:15 PM

Bonine has worked for me.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 03:30 PM

Bonine is the name brand version of meclizine. My husband has had good results with meclizine, which he takes in the evening, just in case it makes him sleepy.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 10:03 AM

I always use ANTIVERT-it is perscription and my doc gives it to me..It is an anti-vertigo drug and does NOT make you sleepy..

I have been using this for 20 years..
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 07:09 PM

To avoid any possible confusion,please note that Antivert is a brand name for meclizine.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 12:24 PM

You might want to test the medication before you use it on a cruise to see if there are any side effects. A brother of mine took some medicine for motion sickness (I don't remember which) and it made him very groggy and nauseous. He was down for a couple of days after taking it.
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 05:45 PM

BONINE!! but if you are heading for a potential nightmare gale, take the patch and put it on several hours before you reach the storm. Tell the captain or his office you need advance weather info for health reasons. They are ususally helpful as they don't want their ship messed up!
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 12:09 PM

Some people get very nauseous from the patch- so try it out PRIOR TO the cruise....
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 02:14 AM

Unfortunately, a side effect of most (if not all) seasickness remedies is drowsiness for some people. There is some individual variability in people and medication, but these pills are all chemically very similar. The advice to try them ahead of the cruise is a good one - see which is best for you. For me, I find that every one I have tried, over-the-counter or by prescription, makes me sleepy. But I have also found that half-doses of the medication works just as well, and makes me less sleepy. (And I get seasick just thinking about a boat).

I have also tried those seasick bands on a cruise. I did not get sick, but who knows if I would have gotten sick without them - for me, I am sure it is partly the anticipation of getting sick as well. I have tried ginger - some people swear by it but it did not work for me.

Usually a half dose of medication, a very large cup of coffee and a short nap, and I can enjoy myself and remain awake. Just don't drink alcohol with any of the medications - then you will be asleep for sure.
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 03:23 AM
PJY

Ginger! Buy the ginger pills in the vitamin section of your local Walmart or drug store. On our cruise last March, my sister in law was feeling a bit queasy at dinner. I went down to my cabin and got her a couple of ginger pills - she felt great in about 20 minutes.
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 05:48 PM

For the most part, most people don't get sick on cruises, the ships are most stable. Only wanted to add if you get the patches be careful. I bought them for my first cruise and by the end of the first night I couldn't read the menu. They sometimes dilate your eyes. I had to remove mine and thankfully never needed it.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 08:25 PM

That happened to me and I found out that if you are going to a really rough area and are a small person (under 125 lbs) you should cut the patch in half.
Then take it off after 2 days as it will be in your system for about a day after. watch your eyes to see if one (usually the one on the patch side) is dialated. If so take the patch off or don't try and read!
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 12:54 PM

I have taken the patch 3 times and have become sick 2 times afterward. After a week long cruise I has nausea and dizziness for 5 full days. It was like a bad hangover without the party. Second time after a 4 night cruise I felt fine until I drank a 7 up the following evening -and I got that terrible nausea again. I took nausea medicine and that made me jittery.

This time I will follow Deloris' advice and use 1/2 patch. Ps, Deloris, how do you know about the under 125 pound thing? Thanks.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 01:25 PM

I used the patch last year on a very, very rough cruise. According to the package insert, 60% of people will develop blurred vision. Sure enough, by the end of the first day I couldn't read a thing. (By the way, I talked to a pharmacist and asked about cutting the patch in half. He highly recommended against doing so... something about the way the medication is infused in the patch.)
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 06:03 PM

I am a Hospice nurse so we deal with topical meds a lot. The way we get around using 1/2 patch is to place tape (preferable paper tape) covering 1/2 of the adhesive side of patch so that only appx. 1/2 dose is absorbed into your bloodstream. This will not be exactly 1/2 dose but close & will not effect the patch itself. Hope it helps. I am planning our first cruise for our 20th anniv. (in low 40's) to Carribean and my husband has motion sickness. So your advice has been helpful.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 07:00 PM

To PamRN - what a cool idea. I am also an RN and had never thought of doing that.

To those advocating patch-cutting. The reason you shouldn't cut it is that the medication is designed to be absorbed through the special covering on the patch. By disturbing this covering you are disturbing the way the medication is "released/absorbed" into the body - it effects the designed release which is supposed to be slow and constant over time. Same applies to seriously scratching surface, constant rubbing (I have heard some people who put it behind ear and then have frames from glasses rub it have problems with too-rapid release of medication)

So it's OK to cut Dramamine, Bonine pills (not capsules) in half - but leave the patch alone or do the tape thing.
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 10:07 PM

What about "Sea Bands"? Someone suggested these in lieu of pills. Do they work?
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 05:27 AM

I used "seabands" for a day and a half on a short cruise. They work on a variation of acupressure - the bump on the bands presses onto some unique spot on your wrist to prevent motion sickness.

Do they work - who knows. In many people (including me) seasickness gets into a self-fulfilling thing. I expect to get sick, so I do. After a day, the things got on my nerves - they were hot and ugly. So when I took it off after a shower I "forgot" to put it back on - and I didn't get sick.

Havent read any real study where they would have to control for things like actual motion, food/fluid intake, etc. since anectdotal evidence isn't real proof. When we go on a cruise in August, I plan to arrive armed with pills, patches, ginger, bands and any other real and bogus remedy I can think of.
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 08:31 PM

Thanks, Gail. I think I'll get ginger!
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 05:51 PM

I'm under 125 lbs to "wifey's" question and complained to a doctor several years ago about my overreaction to medicine.
I can only take 1/2 benadril at night if I want it to help me sleep. A whole one keeps me groggy all the next day.
Ambien knocked me out cold for 8 hours and groggy the next day. Vicodent= barf!
I'm just a drug lightweight and save money on medications as a result. HOWEVER...if you must take antibiotics
or lifesaving drugs, talk to your doctor first!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -