which Princess ship to Alaska?

Sep 23rd, 2006, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

which Princess ship to Alaska?

A friend and I are planning a cruise/tour (first time cruising for us both)for hopefully Aug. 2007. It was suggested by an agent that we'd like the Pacific Princess (670 passenger). Has anyone gone on this shp to Alaska? Does it have the choices and amenities of the larger ships? Also, we want to take one of the land tours and are trying to decide between the Whittier to Fairbanks via Denali, or the Copper River through Dawson City. Appreciate thoughts on the merits of both.
Sep 23rd, 2006, 07:10 PM

We took the Tahitian Princess, the sister ship of the PP, same dimensions, etc. You can read my review below.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...etwatch&fid=31
Sep 23rd, 2006, 07:11 PM

I don't know why that didn't work but just do a search under my screen name.
Sep 24th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Jacketwatch: Thanks so much for the enjoyable journal from FP (on my list for the future) and your insights for Princess smallest vessels. I wonder if the Alaskan waters are apt to be as rough or rougher than the South Pacific? I'm not particularly prone to motion sickness (not sure about my travel mate), but the intimacy and style of the ship sounds much like our life style. We shall definitely consider this as a first choice.
Sep 25th, 2006, 03:26 AM

Actually you are right. In Alaska you cruise close to the shore and not in open water so it should be smoother. I would still try to get a cabin more amidships however. Aside from that I think the PP will be a good choice. Cheers, Larry
Sep 25th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Larry, many thanks. As the trip gets organized, I'll let you know what we decide upon. Will try to get a middle deck/mid ship, too!
Phyllis
Sep 25th, 2006, 03:57 PM

Very good. We did not do any of the land based tours so I can't say anything about them except now I wish we had done so. . If I can help just ask. Have fun. Larry
Sep 27th, 2006, 09:25 AM

Sorry- smooth sailing in Alaska is a myth, rough sailing most certainly does occur. Look at a map, on one way sailngs, they go stright across the Gulf.

The Pacific is a gem of a ship. A great choice. BUT do your homework and understand fully what you are purchasing for a cruise tour. As a many time Alaska visitor, these are the most costly option getting the least. Understand fully the transit times. Many cruisetours are all transit with very little at destination. If of interest, also look at independent, grossly superior.
Sep 29th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Budgetqueen: Am grateful for your input. How do you find out about independent land trips that don't involve self-drive? Neither of us wants to drive, and we'd only be able to stay 4-5 days. I can see how much land there is to cover, and we want to make the sighseeing as comprehensive as possible. Denali looks wonderful and we'd like to return to SF from Fairbanks, if possible. Any alternative suggestions other than a cruise line tour. Are there independent companies that you know of that we could research?
Sep 30th, 2006, 06:01 AM
katybird

www.cruisecritic.com offers much information on the Alaska board. Many people go independant and you will see many posts.
Have fun! Alaska is wonderful!

Oct 1st, 2006, 06:06 AM

We've done the Coral Princess to Alaska, medium size with above average space per passenger. We loved it, it had the amenities of the larger ships. Check the Princess web site for amenites
Nov 24th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Hilda and all who've offered comments

We have made our decision, finally, and the Coral Princess it is. Got lots of great encouragement from the Cruise Critics board
Nov 24th, 2006, 04:03 PM

Good for you. Alaska will be unforgettable. Bon voyage.

Search this Thread