which cruise line for two couples?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that various cruise lines tend to cater to different crowds. We're two couples in our early 50's - like to have fun, good food and wine. not into fancy dress up dinners all the time nor would we want to be in the midst of a mostly family ship with lots of little kids (we have our own teenagers thank you very much) so the cruise would be for more grown up fun. This is to celebrate three 50th birthdays - I know its last minute but we're thinking Alaska in June. What has been your experience with the various lines? Thx
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 12:49 PM

We're in our mid 50s, have cruised Princess, Celebrity, Orient and Oceania. Our favorite by far is Oceania--no formal nights, 684 passengers, excellent food, great staff.

We cruised them in October, and there were no children, but October in the Med probably isn't popular with families. Unfortunately, they don't cruise Alaska.
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 07:21 AM

We've cruised to Alaska on the Radisson Mariner and there were no children on our sailing. The ship is fabulous and what we like best is the large cabins and high space ratio per passenger. You would fit in perfectly at your age. It cost us a smidge more initially than our other 2 Alaskan cruises on other lines but after all was said and done, it probably cost us less because we do enjoy cocktails and wine with dinner which is included (also gratuities are included). Also, there is no need to upgrade from a standard cabin as was the case on the other ships we cruised to Alaska in because each cabin has a balcony. I think a balcony is a must in Alaska. We're into the best value for the $ and as few kids as possible so now we only cruise lines with no children's programs.

They serve fabulous Alaskan salmon too!
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 09:34 AM

Radisson offers an excellent product and there is no formal attire requirement.

I would suggest Radiance class on RCI but they do have two formal nights and most folks dress accordingly.
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 04:31 PM

I agree that Oceania would be a perfect choice. Great food, relaxed atmostphere and more seasoned travelers. No kids at all on my last two Oceania cruises. My agent gives a nice shipboard credit, too, and I'll send you the details if you email me.
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 07:36 AM

Alaska cruises have a FAR less range of travelers, bulk are still middle aged and above on ALL lines, including Carnival- I've sailed them 3 times there. At this late date- you are better off being very flexable and seeing what is still available at a decent price. Juneau is peak. I would search several discount agencies and see what comes up. First however you need to decide WHAT route- if you aren't adding interior touring days, more reasonable are the round trips. My opinion only, I don't ever consider one way trips without at least another week for interior touring. If you can add that - so much the better- but consider going independent for more flexability. As for ship formalities, all now have alt dining and room service. At this late date- go with what is still available.
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 11:25 AM

Another vote here for the Radisson Mariner if there's any availability left. It was much more enjoyable than our 3 other Alaska cruises on larger ships that had lots of young kids and teens. Also, enjoyed the laid back atmosphere without formal nights. It's a beautiful ship as well.

With this said though, you'd better take what you can get as this is very late to be considering a '05 cruise.